Smaragdinas spawned

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am not sure what all the dramas were about in one of my previous threads about my smaragdinas not getting along and the female "I think" beating up the male. I moved them to a heavily planted 30 gallon. They have had the tank all to themselves for about 2 months. If anything the male rules the tank and sometimes chases the female. I've never seen her once try and attack him so I'm still baffled about how he got beat up :dunno:

Anyways he has been displaying to the female a lot and for the past 2-3 weeks has been in full breeding colors. She got full of eggs and about 3-5 days ago I found the male had built a nest under a log. During this time the male was the darkest and most beautiful he's ever been. He wouldn't let the female near the nest. He would chase her away. But seeing as the tank is 30 gallons and heavily planted she was able to get away and have half of the tank to herself.

About an hour ago I noticed the nest was almost gone. I thought the male had probably eaten all the fry. I needed to do a water change so I went ahead and did the water change not thinking I'd see any fry or find any. As I was doing the water change I noticed the smallest little fry ping across the bottom of the tank. :wub: I still did the water change but then went through the buckets of water with a syringe and a jar and lo and behold I found 5 little fry. I put them back in the main tank though seeing as I have nothing small enough to feed them and since the tank is so heavily planted with live plants and wood I figured they would have a pretty good shot of finding some food in there themselves and hopefully some will make it and grow up.

If not maybe next time the parents spawn I'll be more prepared and maybe try and raise the fry myself.

Even if the fry don't survive it's a nice feeling knowing your fish are healthy and happy in their surroundings :) At least I'm doing something right with these bettas :p

That's awesome, Elisabeth. You needed some good things like that to happen :wub:

wuvmybetta said:
That's awesome, Elisabeth. You needed some good things like that to happen :wub:
[snapback]918491[/snapback]​

Your telling me!! Man all the bad luck I've been having lately :X It gives me a little encouragment at least :wub:

I just posted some pictures in the members aquarium picture section. Here's a link http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=109116

I tell ya when the male is in full breeding colors it's one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. I tried to get pictures of when he was displaying to the female but they all kind of looked washed out :/

awww! I love how he built his nest like that! :hyper: That's the cutest thing ever.

Hi! Elisabeth.

I missed that drama or ignored it. There's plenty to go around B)

Wonderful boy. Did they spawn yet? Where's her pics?

Are there any updates on the sorority?

Most reactions

Back