Smallest Tank To Keep Betta's In?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

codell

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
as the title says, because i can pick a load of smallish tanks up for next to nothing just wondering what woud be the smallest tank i could use comfortably without upsetting the betta's??

Yes that small. However a tank of 2-2.5 gallons is much more comfortable and enjoyable. You could use plants to make it look pretty whilst still leaving some open room for free swimming =)

I would say a 2gallon minimum for a betta. Some people keep theirs in 1gallon tanks, but personally i feel this is too small in the long term for a betta.

i have a guy in a 2.5 gal and wouldn't dream of putting one in anything smaller, he has a 2 plants and a small chest which he sleeps on

thats an age old debate, just like anything else in this hobby. Read up , see what breeders do and go on your best judgement. More is better, but go with what you can afford and let the fish live a healthy life.

My hex that Tatsu's going in is a 1.9 gal but I rounded it off to 2 so it's ok. Isn't it?

2.5 G (UK G) or 3 G (US G) and nothing less, its down to the health of your betta not what mass breeders do to increase their stock and turnover.
I presume you are talking about having your bettas long term so treat them as pets and not as STOCK!.
not being rude to the author of this thread but im directly pointing this at some of the other mindless posts who are stuck in the dark ages.
its about how you keep them not how many you can fit into your house

ideal would be a 30L

I prefer 2g or more, but it's ultimately your call. You've heard everything from 1g to 30l, and any number of betta lovers here can produce fantastic fish within the range of potential tank sizes we've discusee in this thread. Good food, and warm and clean water are the key, whatever size you choose. If you do choose a tank on the smaller end of the "acceptable betta-keeping spectrum" , make sure you keep the water clean and change the water frequently. Some change daily, others opt for 3x a week. Depends on the keeper. Though they are great in filtered tanks, some floating plants or mosses are also fantastic for non-filtered tanks. Moss can grow with very little light and doesn't need to be attached to anything to grow effectively. Duckweed works well too and provides a nice anchor for bubble nests. These plants can also be removed for water changes and then stuck right back in when you're done.

A bit of extra advice. Try out one fish first and see if you like it. Changing water 3x on one betta is fine and dandy, but changing it 3x a week for 5, 6, 7, or 10 fish! Then it becomes a chore and their quality of life can potentially suffer if one tires of so many water changes.

llj :)

I'd say 2 or 3 gals minimum.
1 gallon is fine so long as it's only temporary.
I think 5gal would be best, but 2-3 works great as well :)

i would personally go with a 3 gallon for a betta just to decorate it a bit and give it a little extra room

i would say at least 2 gallons, as this leaves adequate room for good amount of decos, and filters and stuff, and theres more water ot dilute stuff. But erm more is better, and my betta is gettting moved soon

actually a lot of breeders that do shows, do not think of their fish as "stock" that is such a ignorant post to suggest otherwise. As one of the mods (or former mods, is wuv still around?) will tell you they do not think of their fish as stock. They are their pets also, and "breeders" have the best fish around.

Basically betta breeding is a science, not an exact science. Asking someone what is the right size to keep a betta in is like asking which is the absolute best cola, there are going to be the adamant pepsi drinker, vs. the adamant coke drinker, both are going to give you different opinions.

Truth is no one is exact. Betta breeders will try to make the best health for their fish, and if kept in .5 gallon cup with the best water conditions vs. a 3 gallon with someone who doesn't change the water and keeps the water quality poor, which is better? Obviously the cup.

I have heard of people keeping bettas alive for 4 years in a .5 gallon container, while others have issues keeping one 2 weeks in a 5 gallon tank.

other mindless posts who are stuck in the dark ages.
There is no reason to be insulting or rude because of a differing opinion. most people insult something they don't understand. Instead of providing some real proof, or reasoning to their argument.

I prefer 2g or more, but it's ultimately your call. You've heard everything from 1g to 30l, and any number of betta lovers here can produce fantastic fish within the range of potential tank sizes we've discusee in this thread. Good food, and warm and clean water are the key, whatever size you choose. If you do choose a tank on the smaller end of the "acceptable betta-keeping spectrum" , make sure you keep the water clean and change the water frequently. Some change daily, others opt for 3x a week. Depends on the keeper. Though they are great in filtered tanks, some floating plants or mosses are also fantastic for non-filtered tanks. Moss can grow with very little light and doesn't need to be attached to anything to grow effectively. Duckweed works well too and provides a nice anchor for bubble nests. These plants can also be removed for water changes and then stuck right back in when you're done.

A bit of extra advice. Try out one fish first and see if you like it. Changing water 3x on one betta is fine and dandy, but changing it 3x a week for 5, 6, 7, or 10 fish! Then it becomes a chore and their quality of life can potentially suffer if one tires of so many water changes.

and the above quote is the best post and answer. I would follow that advice. A betta can survive and be healthy and happy in a small or large container as long as the water is clean and cared for.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back