Small Tank, Small Species

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blitz

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My friend might be giving me her unused 2.5 gallon tank to me. A Betta could possibly go in it alone but I think it may be a little too cramped. I had choices between mosquito fish, killifish, or 3 shrimp. I'll buy a little heater suitable for the tank. The question is, is a small tank like that even worth testing the water or cycling? Also, what are/is the small species of mosquito fish or killifish? Where can I find that species? How many of those can I have? I would really like to try out sand instead of regular gravel. I fear that sand is WAY too hard to have. How do you clean sand and KEEP it clean?

I do understand that a 2.5 is quite small and can't take much. I cannot keep a 2.5 as my hospital tank because I was forced to give up fish keeping since my fish grew too big. I cannot fork out $70-$100 for a new 5-10 gallon aquarium and supplies when I am saving up for a $350 school trip in March.I love aquatics and would like to have a little something.

Thanks. :)

think you should stick with 3 shrimp. they don't put out a lot of waste. you would need a heater. and you could have a little 1 gallon internal filter, with a couple of small low light plants (mosses, marimo boss balls, etc.) and you would be set. weekly you could probaly you a water of maybe a 1/4 of a gallon and replace it with declorinated water.

Sounds great, Questions. I already have a filter for a 2.5 and all I need his the heater. Thanks!

One question though..,, does it have to be a planted tank? D: can I just have regular gravel and then a moss ball??

it doesn't have to be planted, but the shrimp will be happier and they eat microorganisms on the plants. you could put in a moss ball then add fake plants, etc

oops, i just looked back at my later post, i meant to say you wouldnt need a heater since shrimp and live in a wide range of temperatures

Most reactions

trending

Back