Small Fish That Will Be Ok In A Shrimp Tank

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
ive recently set up a larger shrimp tank and will be transfering all the shrimp etc over tonight. it will contain -

lots of red cherry shrimp
saluwesi cardinal shrimp
small group of otocinclus
small group of corydoras

the tank is an aquaone ar620 (90L) with sand substrate, scattered pebbles, bogwood covered in java moss, and plenty of silk/plastic plants (until i can get some live ones). its filtered by a large sponge filter and the in hood wet and dry filter that comes with the tank (intake has a sponge sock over to prevent smaller shrimp being sucked up).
as its quite a large tall tank just for shrimp i was thinking of adding a group of small fish that wont cause too much of a problem with the beby shrimp..... something like celestial pearl danios or other microrasboras...! on a recent visit to lfs i noticed that they had some nice looking rasboras but instead of the orange stripe along the side they had yellow and looked really good in a group, maybe a mix of orange and yellow would look good :unsure: but im sure they will get slightly big and may start eating too many shrimp for my liking.....
my tap water is about 7.5Ph and medium/hard, the tank is set at 26/27 degrees C.

I had jamacian blue guppies in with my red cherry shrimp. The shrimp were bigger than them and actually on occasion used to chase the fish :).

You could get something small like endlers.

heres a pic of the tank as its currently set up, without any fish or shrimp as of yet. these are to be added tonight.
the water is a bit unclear due to adding the sand yesterday, the pic was taken about an hour after....
2010_07270475.jpg

I had jamacian blue guppies in with my red cherry shrimp. The shrimp were bigger than them and actually on occasion used to chase the fish :).

You could get something small like endlers.
i actually have 2 male endlers in the current shrimp tank but ive kind of gone off them a bit and they are advertised for free in the classifieds.....
maybe if i adde a few more they would come alive and look better.... :unsure: they are a good size though and dont bother the shrimp in the current set up....

10 Paracheirodon simulans, would look good in there Matt.

10 Paracheirodon simulans, would look good in there Matt.
oooh yeah now your talking :good:

just got to find some now.....!

keep the suggestions coming as i may not be able to find these very easily :sad:

most Maidenheads are stocking these now.

What about some male Endlers, they'd give you some colour.

A big shoal of ember tetra or galaxy rasbora. Or a group of male endlers would look good.

i couldnt find any green neons today but saw some great looking endlers that were yellow with orange markings... might go back tomorrow for them :good:

liking those pencilfish carlovel1 but cant remember seeing many about :sad:

kizno1 not a fan of ember tetras im affraid and galaxy rasboras were on my list but kind of gone off them a bit....

i also saw some platinum tetras today that were really nice but i know nothing about them! im off to do a search for them :good:

What about a group of trigonostigma hengeli alot like harlequin rasbora but nice IMO
yeah i saw some of these the other day at lfs but instead of the orange stripe they had yellow and looked really good as a group :good:

so ive narrowed it down to either-

trigonostigma hengeli
Paracheirodon simulans
male endlers i saw earlier that were yellow and orange....

What about a group of trigonostigma hengeli alot like harlequin rasbora but nice IMO
yeah i saw some of these the other day at lfs but instead of the orange stripe they had yellow and looked really good as a group :good:

trigonostigma hengeli
Paracheirodon simulans
IMO you could get away with
8 trigonostigma hengeli
8 Paracheirodon simulans
6 endlers
and all the shrimp

trigonostigma hengeli
Paracheirodon simulans
8 trigonostigma hengeli
8 Paracheirodon simulans
6 endlers
and all the shrimp
dont tempt me.... :lol: i saw some platinum tetras today that looked really nice but cant find any info on them...

trigonostigma hengeli
Paracheirodon simulans
8 trigonostigma hengeli
8 Paracheirodon simulans
6 endlers
and all the shrimp
dont tempt me.... :lol: i saw some platinum tetras today that looked really nice but cant find any info on them...
Ive never heard of them before. I reckon you could get away with upto 20 small shoaling fish in there but its up to you which ones and amounts.

heres how the tank looks now ive added a few live plants on the right at the back, all the shrimp and fish have been transfered and all went well :good:
so far... :look:
2010_07280475.jpg

2010_07280481.jpg

2010_07280478.jpg

2010_07280479.jpg

2010_07280480.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back