The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I saw skunk corydoras for the first time at my LFS. They were priced at $7 each and looked pretty adorable. What size tank would I need for these guys, and would they school okay with pepper corydoras?
From what I have read, my water hardness (110 ppm) would be fine for them, and they generally stay under 2 inches.

Does anyone here have experience with these little guys?

So I saw skunk corydoras for the first time at my LFS. They were priced at $7 each and looked pretty adorable. What size tank would I need for these guys, and would they school okay with pepper corydoras?
From what I have read, my water hardness (110 ppm) would be fine for them, and they generally stay under 2 inches.

Does anyone here have experience with these little guys?
i dont have experience, but i thin think they can be together, the species are different

Yes, all species of Corydoras can be housed together. It is best to have a few (small group, say 5 if you can) of each species, but if the store only has 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the species, not a problem if you have other cory species in their tank too. Sand substrate is needed for cories, and what other fish are in the tank now?

As for the tank size, what are you pepper cories in now, and how many? (By "pepper" I am assuming Corydoras paleatus, common names are confusing). "Skunk" I assume is C. arcuatus, data here:
Corydoras arcuatus – Skunk Cory; C020 (C020) — Seriously Fish

Yes, for both species. The pepper cories are in a 20 gallon high right now, but I can move them either into a 29 gallon (if I give up on breeding my Chromides) or a 25 gallon (24 x 12x 20) that will be empty next month. I also have a 25 gallon hexagon tank empty right now. Each side is 10 inches and it is 21 inches high.

I have 7 pepper corydoras right now in the 20 gallon high. I don't have to have them in the same tank, but if I get another 55 I would probably combine the schools.

Here in NZ sometimes you find Corydoras Metae being labelled Skunk catfish, if it is this guy you need to be careful as they are quite timid and don't mix with other larger corys as well.

Here in NZ sometimes you find Corydoras Metae being labelled Skunk catfish, if it is this guy you need to be careful as they are quite timid and don't mix with other larger corys as well.
They had one smooth strip of black on them, rather than broken pieces. I do believe they are arcuatus.

Yes, for both species. The pepper cories are in a 20 gallon high right now, but I can move them either into a 29 gallon (if I give up on breeding my Chromides) or a 25 gallon (24 x 12x 20) that will be empty next month. I also have a 25 gallon hexagon tank empty right now. Each side is 10 inches and it is 21 inches high.

I have 7 pepper corydoras right now in the 20 gallon high. I don't have to have them in the same tank, but if I get another 55 I would probably combine the schools.
When deciding on the tank keep in mind that the amount of space available on the floor of the tank is most important for cories. So a 20 long tank would be more suitable than a 20 high tank, for example. So out of the ones you mention the 25 gallon (regular) or 29 gallon would be best.

I agree with above (longer tank better) and I would combine the two species as cories always like company and the more the merrier.

C. arcuyatus is in lineage 8, subclade 4, and C. paleatus is in lineage 6, so hybridization is unlikely; and with a group of each, genders are more likely to be mixed and that almost rules out cross-spawning. I have written elsewhere on the significance of this, feel free to ask if you want further info.

I appreciate the advice!. I will probably place my Chromides in a different tank (smaller) and see if they will breed. Then I can switch out the substrate and move the cories over to the 29 next month. And hope the LFS gets more skunk cories in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back