Skirt Tetra + Glass Cat Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Featheryfish

Reaction score
Hey y'all! Iā€™ve got a bit of a fish jigsaw puzzle on my mind.

What are some optimal tankmates for skirt tetras, besides more skirt tetras? What are some optimal tankmates for glass cats? How about for both? Iā€™d like to hear some advice from experience.

Iā€™ve got a 30 gallon that came with my batch of sudden rescue fish. Once itā€™s 100% cycled and I round it out with a school for my glass catfish, I think Iā€™d call it fully stocked.

So, Iā€™m hoping to do an aquarium upgrade sometime, probably this coming winter ā€“ I like to plan ahead. Besides, itā€™s way too hot out right now to comfortably move live fish or large pieces of furniture around town. I'm thinking I'll go for a 75 or 90 gallon ā€“ theyā€™re running about $200 for a leak-checked tank with stand that size at the local secondhand aquarium store.

With the extra stocking room, I'd like to have a varied community setup - but I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on community fish species that are definitively compatible with the cats, the molly, and the skirts. I don't want anyone to get a fin gnawed off or be outcompeted for food. I also don't want my live plants to be harmed. In other cases I'm worried new fish might pick a fight with my sailfin molly - and I definitely don't want fry, so that rules out more livebearers unless I have something else that will reliably eat the fry.

I could possibly run two tanks and segregate either the potentially nippy skirt tetras or the potentially vulnerable glass cats into the 30 so I can build a compatible community in the 75+, though of course that would cost me more in equipment and plant substrate. The sailfin molly could potentially go in either tank.

Any ideas for fun and functional fish I should research? What have you successfully kept together with any of these species?

The thirty gallon is good for what you have for now. If there are aggression issues at least there's room for it to spread out. I'm not really sure but I think Glass Catfish are quite docile and timid and prefer to be in groups. If it were me I'd have them in a species only tank. They are a very beautiful fish and it just might be worthwhile to have a group and see them at their best. I envy you having an aquarium second hand store in your town. The price on that 90 gallon you mentioned is great. There is nothing at all wrong with a used tank. Get it !

I agree to keep the glass catfish in a smaller tank (i.e., not a 90g) as they are not good with a lot of other fish and you would probably not find the tank much of an interest. Also, certainly do not combine the glass cats with Black Skirt Tetra, these are fin nippers and this will lead to trouble.

This fish, Kryptopterus vitreolus, occurs in the river drainages in peninsular and southeastern Thailand. Found in gently-flowing streams and rivers having still water pools or margins; the fish rests in still water and stalks prey in gentle currents. Ng & Kottelat (2013) believe this species has a fairly small distribution range. All aquarium fish are wild caught. This very unique and interesting catfish must be kept in a group of at least 5 or 6; otherwise it may refuse to eat. It also cannot have boisterous tankmates for the same reason. A thickly-planted aquarium providing some swimming space with a gentle current is essential to calm this very timid fish. Floating plants will significantly assist in keeping this fish less stressed. A 3-foot length tank is ideal.

I agree, the price on those tanks, and a stand, for $200, is very good. 30 gallons is good for now, but you might want to upgrade to maybe a 40, or a 50? The prices on my tanks at my LFS are fair, but not completely great. :)

I agree to keep the glass catfish in a smaller tank (i.e., not a 90g) as they are not good with a lot of other fish and you would probably not find the tank much of an interest. Also, certainly do not combine the glass cats with Black Skirt Tetra, these are fin nippers and this will lead to trouble.

This fish, Kryptopterus vitreolus, occurs in the river drainages in peninsular and southeastern Thailand. Found in gently-flowing streams and rivers having still water pools or margins; the fish rests in still water and stalks prey in gentle currents. Ng & Kottelat (2013) believe this species has a fairly small distribution range. All aquarium fish are wild caught. This very unique and interesting catfish must be kept in a group of at least 5 or 6; otherwise it may refuse to eat. It also cannot have boisterous tankmates for the same reason. A thickly-planted aquarium providing some swimming space with a gentle current is essential to calm this very timid fish. Floating plants will significantly assist in keeping this fish less stressed. A 3-foot length tank is ideal.
Didn't know all that. All wild caught huh ? That bit of information certainly adds an urgency to do things right. Also, knowing now that they are Thai, I would re home the Skirts. I really like species only and biotope setups. Speaking of Skirts, are we talking about Black Tetras ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the prices were too good to be true, so I went there in person and window shopped around a bit. They're actually a pretty big place with a lot of turnover, like a warehouse, so that's probably how they're able to offer such good deals. There were several nice 75s and 90s to choose from at that moment, not to mention a bunch of 20s, 30s, 55s, and even 300-500 gallon tanks available. I wouldn't mind sanding and refinishing a stand that was a bit chipped up, sounds like a nice project to me. They had some amazing fish stock too - mostly marine (so not for me) but fun to admire anyway.

They are white skirts, which from what I understand are just a color variant of black skirts. Fortunately, these *particular* skirts and this *particular* glass cat are getting along very peacefully, even paling around together. I have read at least one account of a black skirt tetra harming a glass cat's tail, though, so I wouldn't mind separating them, especially as the tetras get larger. Thankfully he is eating heartily and being active despite being alone. I would not have chosen a wild-caught, possibly-at-risk-in-the-wild fish myself, but since he's already mine I'll have to bend my principles to get him the school he needs. A species-only tank for them sounds like it would be lovely and dramatic. Maybe 10 or so of them in the 30?

I'm not getting rid of any fish that I already have, I'll move them between tanks if needed but I'm committed to caring for those stinky fin-nipping tetras for the rest of their natural lives, as I am with all my pets. That's just me though, lol. Biotopes are fun though, I'd love a blackwater biotope tank someday. :) For now I just have to compromise between the needs of different fish as best I can.

What *would* the skirt tetras reliably leave alone? Hmm...

I'm that way too. Fish aren't trinkets we throw away when we grow tired of them. They are living creatures. Too many pet animals have become merchandise and not living things. And since I'm now up on my soapbox let me tirade against wild caught fish. I know they're out there and always will be but even though I feel that I am just knowledgable enough to keep them, I feel they belong to scientific type people and professional aquarists. That ain't never going to happen. I would not be upset at all if a person had to be investigated by the aquarium police and licensed to keep wild caught fish. Okay, I'm all right now.:band:

Yeah, I thought the prices were too good to be true, so I went there in person and window shopped around a bit. They're actually a pretty big place with a lot of turnover, like a warehouse, so that's probably how they're able to offer such good deals. There were several nice 75s and 90s to choose from at that moment, not to mention a bunch of 20s, 30s, 55s, and even 300-500 gallon tanks available. I wouldn't mind sanding and refinishing a stand that was a bit chipped up, sounds like a nice project to me. They had some amazing fish stock too - mostly marine (so not for me) but fun to admire anyway.

They are white skirts, which from what I understand are just a color variant of black skirts. Fortunately, these *particular* skirts and this *particular* glass cat are getting along very peacefully, even paling around together. I have read at least one account of a black skirt tetra harming a glass cat's tail, though, so I wouldn't mind separating them, especially as the tetras get larger. Thankfully he is eating heartily and being active despite being alone. I would not have chosen a wild-caught, possibly-at-risk-in-the-wild fish myself, but since he's already mine I'll have to bend my principles to get him the school he needs. A species-only tank for them sounds like it would be lovely and dramatic. Maybe 10 or so of them in the 30?

I'm not getting rid of any fish that I already have, I'll move them between tanks if needed but I'm committed to caring for those stinky fin-nipping tetras for the rest of their natural lives, as I am with all my pets. That's just me though, lol. Biotopes are fun though, I'd love a blackwater biotope tank someday. :) For now I just have to compromise between the needs of different fish as best I can.

What *would* the skirt tetras reliably leave alone? Hmm...

The white and black skirt (or widow) tetras are the same species, correct. And they should never be combined with sedate fish or fish with long fins, as both are just too much of a temptation. The fact that these may seem OK now cannot be relied upon; fish are the way they are because that is their DNA, but as with any species including humans there are individuals that differ from the expected "norm" and sometimes this can be caused by an inappropriate environment, sometimes other factors. Assume the "norm" for any fish and you will be safe.

A group of 10 glass catfish in the 30g would be nice. There are some suitable tankmates, just look for other similarly quiet fish--no active swimmers.

I'm that way too. Fish aren't trinkets we throw away when we grow tired of them. They are living creatures. Too many pet animals have become merchandise and not living things. And since I'm now up on my soapbox let me tirade against wild caught fish. I know they're out there and always will be but even though I feel that I am just knowledgable enough to keep them, I feel they belong to scientific type people and professional aquarists. That ain't never going to happen. I would not be upset at all if a person had to be investigated by the aquarium police and licensed to keep wild caught fish. Okay, I'm all right now.:band:

I feel ya, man. My home has always been full of other people's damaged "throw-away" pets. Birds without feathers, turtles that can't walk, dogs with PTSD, you name it. The total commodification of living things frequently makes me sad... and mad... to keep it PG. :band:

I must agree on the wild-caught fish, they're probably best left to public zoos and aquaria that are doing research or running breeding programs. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of buying wild-caught fish, but I'm thinking my obligation to provide Mr. Ghosty (that's his name) with a proper social group probably comes first. Not buying a few more isn't going to single-handedly end the trade of wild glass catfish, unfortunately ... I'd rather he not have been sold in the first place. (Sigh!)

I'll try to be worthy of that imaginary license from the aquarium police, at least. :good:

The white and black skirt (or widow) tetras are the same species, correct. And they should never be combined with sedate fish or fish with long fins, as both are just too much of a temptation. The fact that these may seem OK now cannot be relied upon; fish are the way they are because that is their DNA, but as with any species including humans there are individuals that differ from the expected "norm" and sometimes this can be caused by an inappropriate environment, sometimes other factors. Assume the "norm" for any fish and you will be safe.

A group of 10 glass catfish in the 30g would be nice. There are some suitable tankmates, just look for other similarly quiet fish--no active swimmers.

I will do my best to get them separated ASAP then, before things go sour. I won't wait to save up for the 75; another 30 gallon is something I could probably afford sooner. And I'll keep a very close eye on their behavior in the meantime to make sure things are staying groovy; I do have a small in-tank isolation unit if there is an emergency. Thank you kindly for the warning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back