Skimming and algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I think my overflow box was something like twenty dollars. And for a sump, all you need is the biggest rubbermaid container you can find that fits in your stand. People are getting smart and realizing they don't need an expensivee fish tank for a sump, myself included. I belive the one I have is something like twenty five gallons. And if you have a genuine reef set up, you don't need bio balls or any other media. Though I do run some floss occasionally in my wet/dry box.

Whats your set-up GL?

It sounds like you dont use your sump as a filter just for increasing the total capacity of the system is that right.

Marine .....HHHHmmmmmmmmm .....

actually 'fraid it sounds too much like hard work ;)

The hardest part was and is convincing the wife to let me spend the money :D :D :p

Whacky, fortunately, my wife would spend the rent money , so to speak, on aquarium stuff.

And yes, when you have a full blown reef set up and operating properly, no filtration except for skimming is really necessary. Some would argue differently, but so far, so good.

My set up is a 90 gallon. Overflow box, the sump previously mentioned, a 350 Magnum with no media as one return, a large rio for another, a rio 2100 hooked to a spray bar in the rear at the bottom to prevent dead spots, and another pwerhead at the top. I'm moving something like 2200 gallons an hour around. Then I have a home made VHO lighting set up. Runs somewhere between 500 and 600 watts. Two blue Actinics, a 50/50, and two 6500k bulbs. Oh, and around a 100 lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs volcanic base, and about 40 lbs of granite base. 100 lbs of crushed aragonite, and 50 lbs of live sand for about a 3 to 4 inch sand base. Sand is just absolutely full of critters too.

My aim is to have a large reef tank using just live rock and sand with a skimmer, i reckon it works ok and i have seen it. I have to say maybe i would be tempted to have some mechanical filtration though.

Im trying at the moment to convert the substrate to live sand.

As for a sump for my tank i could only fit summut that was 12"x12" on the base

Bummer on the sump Whacky. On mechanical filtration and a reef, many believe that it becomes a breeding ground for unwanted bacteria. Everything should balance if done right.

But in reefkeeping, there are a lot of shoulds, and ought to, and mystery.

Hmm i have the 6ft tank empty and cant shift it but im broke at the moment so cant set it up. And we have booked are belated honeymoon so it will be a while before i get to set it up.

Ive read about some lights called t5 lighting do you know anything about these, also how did you set your lighting up you said it was home made didnt you

The T5's would be way small diameter. Too small to span a 4-6 ft tank probably. The T8's are the way to go. You would need six ballasts and lights. It works well. Due to the time for me right now, and how involved it gets, When you get ready to do it, let me know, and we'll talk. I am always here.. :)

I might have confused the issue, the light query was more for the 4ft. The 6ft isnt an option at the moment

The T5's aren't something I have heard much on. But I do know the T8's are small enough in diameter to fit all you need under a canopy. So unless there is a substantial price advantage,... 8)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back