Skimming and algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions on this as i believe they are.

I believe that a recent algae outbreak was due partly to do with the skimmer not being as effective in a new tank.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Whacky, what kind of algae? I seem to get an algae bloom every time i get a sharp change in one of my parameters.

I have found in my marine tank, reduced lighting, or even a day without lighting will have a dramatic effect on algae blooms.

And I believe you are right about the skimming. In a newish tank, there is not enough protein built up to bind everything together to skim out the algae spores. But since algae clings and multiplies, I don't think much of it would ever see a filter or skimmer, thus resulting in my having to use the lighting solution to my algae beakouts.

I tried the lighting solution reduced light for a few days it curbed the spread but didnt kill it maybe a longer spell is needed.

It is the red slime algae that all new tanks go through, its just that mine was fine until i went to hospital spent a week there and without me to monitor the tank the algae blossemed.

As for my set up i have a rio 240 tank approx 4" with its normal heater and filter

with: a external filter fluval 404
4 tubes (1 actinic 2 marine lamps and a daylight bulb)
2 powerheads for circulation
25kg approx of live rock
some ocean rock
Will have argonite live sand as a substrate when i get round to putting it in its been sat there a few days now.
a red sea prism skimmer

A few inhabitant as well three dancer shrimps and two common clownes.

This is a learner tank i intand to get a bigger one in the future once i have mastered this one.

By the way GL i found syphoning is a good way of removing the algae,

Whacy, the "red" algae is actually called Cyano Bacteria. You have to really use care, it fragments and spreads real easy. You are right in siphoning, that is the best way to get rid of it. I put some additional floss in my return housing in my sump, and then just run the vacuum tube down the drain and catch the bacteria in the floss.

Sorry about the delay GL ive been away visiting relatives.

I dont have a sump no i have been cotemplating the idea though but using an overflow box not drilling.

I know the red stuff isnt actually algae i have just found that if you refer to it as "algae" the more educated will tell me its not algae its Cyano Bacteria then i know they know what there talking about.

I have a spare external if i filed it with floss i could use that as a makeshift bacteria sucker hmm what you think??

We seem to be the only marine guys on here are we really it???

Whacky, the external filter would be worth a try. And I am not predrilled either. I have an overflow box, and it seems to work well after I modified it a bit :blush:

If you have the room, you can add a sump for under a hundred dollars. It's comforting to have the extra water.

And c'mon Davy, join the club!

I've got a 4 foot drilled tank but thats about it. The way the cash flow is at the mo I can bearly afford to feed my tropicals, never mind have a beer, lol. I just aint got the time at the mo but may just have a marine only tank by the end of the month. I found some good lobster today. only grow to about 6 inches so I wonder if they taste nice.lol

I believe you need a chiller for lobster Ade. You might want to check :)

You can do a fish only tank pretty reasonable. I imagine you have a plethora of pumps and hoses and such lying around.

Swap my 6ft for your 4ft Ade,

What size tank would i need to have for a sump then if i was gonna have a sump it would have to fit into the cabinet i already got. Thats the only way the wife would be convinced.

Ade i sympathise with your lack of cash problems since our car broke were having to watch the pennies aswell.

Arent overflow boxes expensive?

Cant i make one myself

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back