Single Fish In Tank And Lots Of Algae

dezign2

New Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I have a 6" kissing fish that we call "Pinky." He is going on 4 years old. All of his tank mates have died off, but I have been told not to get any more fish because he will be aggressive toward them. He had smaller buddies in the tank up until about 6 months ago. I bought a new algae eater and it apparently was sick and one by one, wiped out my entire tank with ich except for Pinky. I was reluctant to get any more fish, so he is by himself. The only fish he was ever aggressive toward was an algae eater. Pinky picked on him terribly, so I gave him to a friend where he was much happier. I have a terrible algae problem and wonder if I should try to get another kind of algae eater again. There is a cottony type of algae that grows in my tank that adheres to the gravel and is very heavy. I use algae destroyer, but it doesn't seem to work very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pinky is a beautiful fish and I would like to get him a friend if possible or at least another fish to help keep his tank clean. I do routine water changes every 2 weeks and use Stress zyme, Aqua safe and the algae destroyer routinely. He is in a 10 gal. aquarium.

Thank you,
 
sorry but the answer is plainly obvious,

The fish should be in a much bigger tank,
No wonder it is aggressive to other fish as there isn't enough space for it to have a decent sized territory,
the algae is most likely being caused by poor water quality, in such an overstocked tank you should be doing water changes a couple of times per week.
 
Kissing gouramis can get to nearly a foot in length.

Stop using the Stress Zyme -it doesn't work- and stop with the herbicides if they're not working for you.


But he was not aggressive. He was in the tank with a neon and a glass fish at one time and they all hung out together fine. He was only aggressive to one fish (an algae eater). Once we got rid of him everything was fine. I believe he has grown more since he was all alone. He is the only fish in the tank now and has been for the last 6 months. Should I get a snail to help with the algae problem?
 
How about reading the answers to your question and get the fish a decent sized tank to live in
 
How about reading the answers to your question and get the fish a decent sized tank to live in


I would if I had the money and the space to put a bigger tank. He has lived in this tank for 4 years, and I have taken good care of him. Thanks for the guilt trip suggesting that I am not providing the best care for my fish that I have kept alive for the past 4 years. I suppose that the sales person in the fish store who sold him to me along with the tank should be the one to blame. Usually, people who come to these forums seek help, because they do care about their pets; otherwise, they would just leave them to dye in filth and never treat them when they are sick, etc.. I am not that kind of individual. But thanks for the suggestions. :angry:
 
Sorry for all of the negativity, but now you know that a bigger tank is a must in the near future.

But to answer your question, first look at this site and see if you can't identify what kind of algae you have, that way we will be able to help you out more.

Algae needs two(2) things to grow, ammonia and light.

Can you please tell us what your water stats are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH), what type of filter you have, if you have a power head and if the tank is getting any direct natural sunlight?

After you have posted that info, we will be able to help out with your algae question. :good:

-FHM
 
How about reading the answers to your question and get the fish a decent sized tank to live in


I would if I had the money and the space to put a bigger tank. He has lived in this tank for 4 years, and I have taken good care of him. Thanks for the guilt trip suggesting that I am not providing the best care for my fish that I have kept alive for the past 4 years. I suppose that the sales person in the fish store who sold him to me along with the tank should be the one to blame. Usually, people who come to these forums seek help, because they do care about their pets; otherwise, they would just leave them to dye in filth and never treat them when they are sick, etc.. I am not that kind of individual. But thanks for the suggestions. :angry:

People are only trying to help and if they are not telling you what you want to hear then you can't attack them for putting you on a guilt trip. I think the fact that your fish has GROWN since being on it's own speaks a thousands words - you are responsible for stunting it's growth. Now you know a little more you need to forget about getting 'friends' and formulate a plan to improving his general well being.

It does sound like you have got blue-green algae have a look at this link to see if you can identify and then take action.

Know one is vilifying you but I think you need to look at the current situation and concentrate on making things right :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top