Simply water....or is it?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is a topic I'm sure has been discussed a thousand times over. So I'm going to throw this one into the tank as it were. After reading Petes story :blush: :blush: and thought, oh s*** it sounds like me. I started to try and do some damage limitation. I did suffer a few casulties. Now I have things under reasonable control and have done all the tests(main ones anyway) the only thing I don't know what to do with is the PH. It is a community tank with the obligatory livebearers and a couple of dozen Neons. I do have 6 various Corys and 3 Bristle nose cats. The PH is 7.9 It seems that the water around these parts is all around 7.9. Should I physically lower the PH and would it affect the inhabitants?
Who says this is therapeutic???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Dragonslair

I believe that peat extract can reduce the ph, or you could make your own peat tea-bag (use aquaitic compost in some muslim) and give it a dip or two - it'll also stain your water a wee bit.

My ph is 7.2. Neons prefere the water to be slightly acidic (I believe) no sure about the platies though. I'm sure somebody else will keep us right :D

Duncan

:thumbs: Thanx Duncan. Never thought of aq.peat. I have got some PH crystals that I bought, but I'm wary putting chemicals into the water that I can't control. Peat sounds good though. :grin:

don't mess with the PH your asking for more trouble than it's worth. Trust me. Fish adapt to what they live in and if they are doing fine don't mess with it. Rose

Ooops, can't spell either...you see evil one you have me quaking in my boots ;)
I hear you loud and clear.

Yeah m8 leave it as it is :)
7.9 is as high as you want to have but it'll still be fine. no-one buys fish that live to there natural conditions anymore. All the comunity fish are to home breed nowadays 8)

The pH of my water (pre-move) is over 8. But so long as you are careful about which fish to choose and watch your water quality - you can still get a great tank :D

So my advice - don't mess with the pH! (My water is so well buffered I coujldn't manage it even if I tried!)

But definitely watch the water quality - ammonia is more toxic at higher pH.

Forgot to add about the fish you have - live bearers are in favour of alkaline water, so they'll be happy. I've a couple of bristlenoses who seem quite happy, apparently they are happy between 6 - 8 (I couldn't remember so checked ;)). As previously said neons like to be slightly acidic. Corys vary but mostly like slightly acidic.

Anyway as Rose said - your fish will be adapted to your water and changing the pH can cause probs, esp if you are reducing the buffering in the water which will make pH swings more likely.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back