Simon's Planted Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've read that HM takes a few weeks to really get a hold in a tank, after which it'll start becoming more bushy and generally nicer. So that should mean any day now :D. I find with mine, (previously sams), that wherever I chop it, it bushes out with more stems, so I think it's just a case of being patient.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Just saw you tank in the member's section. It has changed a lot since I moved. It looks great. :good:

Oh, and I found that spot treating various parts with extra Nitrogen and Potassium helped quite a bit with thread algae. I know it's been used for BBA, but I was treating for BBA when I had some left over and gave a good squirt. Took a little longer, though. I would turn off the filter, squirt, and wait about 10 minutes or so. It was noticably improved when I moved. Blackouts have also helped me, at least to get it looser, and when you use a twisting motion in your syphon hose, you can gather it all together to make one removable hairy clump of algae. :crazy:

But probably the easiest solution would be Sam's, shrimp and lots of them. :D In case shrimp don't tickle you fancy, SAE also work as does the American flag fish, a small killifish from the SE US. They really go for thread algae and other types of algae as well. If you can find them, they are great, supposedly. Unfortunately, I can't even find them, and I live in the SE US. :rolleyes:

llj :)

Thanks lljdma06.... i haven't been here for a while, so i have only just read the posts.

well its to late I've trashed the tanks, algae was taking over,, I've been fighting a losing battle for a while now.
To be honest I'm not to bothered as i hate the substrate anyway, and the aquascape is getting tired along with the plants.

What i have done is strip out all the plants trying to save some and scrubbed all the wood removing the algae, i think I'm going to see if i can get the wood sand blasted, to make sure.
For now i have put some bogwood with java moss that's been sitting in a tank, that i took from mt low tech, i also planted some of the plants i managed to save, just to make things look nice for now.

What i intend to do is start a fresh, basically strip the tank down, giving it a wash in mild bleach solution along with the equipment to sterilize and kill any algae spores.
Then add ADA Amazonia aqua soil, along with a lily pipe if my funds will stretch :)

As for the Aqua scape I'm going for something completely different, I'm usually a wood man but i fancy trying my hand at a rock scape to what end I'm not sure yet.

so watch this space for the new improved tank :lol: or not as the case may be.

Simon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back