Simon's Planted Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonbrown403

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I,m making a large tank next year some time, and i was thinking of a nice planted, but come to the conclusion that it might be to much for me to maintain wise, especially as i was thinking of having a go at gf225 and zig's EI method.

A 50% water change on a 800+ltr gulp :crazy:

So i've decided to have a go at something smaller.

The story so far lol.

background: i did make a 3D background out od polystyrene covered with a sand and cement mix, which i painted black and sealed with a pond sealer.
Unfortuanly it got broke, happen as well real as i didnt like, but my wife did, it could of been difficult lol.

DSCF0006.jpg

I ended up spray painting the back black, which was an adventure in its own right, as i had to scrape of masking tape that i had stuck on for a background when i was using it for a breeding tank, lets say it took a wile.

blackbackground.jpg

Lights: juwel records come with one 18w tube, that's 0.8w per gal, according to gf255 and zig's EI article i need at least 2w per gal, so i needed extra light.

Have a look at my lighting mod HERE

Here's a link to the diy section showing how i modified my lights to give me 2.2w per gal.

substrate: i managed to get 5.8kg tub of tetra plant complete substrate, not sure what its like but for �8 il give it a go.
Over the top of that i've got some fine black gravel.

substrate.jpg

co2 system: i'm a bit of a spoilt sod really, i,ve just got my Christmas present of my wife early, a new JBL profile 1 co2 set.
co2bottle.jpg

My first question is dose any one know how many of the diffuser sections i need in a 22gal tank? (pic below)

co2defuser.jpg

And for my second question is it worth getting a cable heater, or could do without?
I know that the heat curculates the water around the roots, bringing nutrients and stoping the substrate going anarobic,
I've been told that if you creat the right inviroment the plants will do the same.

Watch this space

Simon :D

Great to see another journal Simon.

zig and I cannot take the credit for EI, that is Tom Barr's baby. zig does deserve credit though for making it more accessible to the beginner via his article - and his endless good advice to anyone that needs it.

I would fit as many diffuser sections as you can without it looking too odd - perhaps your plants will cover most of it. As far as CO2 diffusion goes, you cannot be too efficient.

Heater cables are not essential and their effectiveness is debatable. Personally I advocate their use and have had excellent results with mine. I have actually noticed improved growth in my Sagittaria with it switched on after a dormant period. Whether or not this was pure coincidence I will never know. They do prevent too much (some anaerobic areas are necessary) anaerobic build-up IME and I never experience Hydrogen sulphide pockets in areas where there are no plants (under bogwood for example), as many do. My heater cable is the sole source of heating and is controlled via a DIY thermostat - it is on most of the time, especially now the nights are cooler.

Good luck with it all and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Fab another "evolution" thread ! How exciting :D
I have the same diffuser as you and have used all - bar 3 - of those sections in my 19 gallon. Not sure if that's right, but assume so :dunno:

Looking forward to following your thread :)

Fab another "evolution" thread ! How exciting :D

Aren't they cool? Kinda makes you feel like you're a part of it, which is great when there isn't too much to fiddle with in your own tank lol

Good luck Simon, looking forward to more pics.

i'd be interested to hear how the tetra substrate performes, apparently thats a new product. just heard about it last friday.

good luck with the tank

Way to go Simon.........you've been a very busy lad lately :D posting some good stuff

I seen that substrate advertised as well and it will be interesting to see how you get on with it, i guess only time will tell, keep us updated and if you need a hand only to happy to help, and merry christmas btw.

I'm going to get a cable heater this weekend if i have time.

I've Pm smithrc about his diy cable heater thermostat that he made for gf225 and got a reply today, it shouldn't take to long to make, thanks smithrc

thermo.jpg

Is it advisable to use silver sand to cover the heater cable or would the tetra plant substrate be ok on its own?

How would i go about starting the co2 and fert scedule?

Please expand on the heater cable thing :blink: i don't quite get it......

Hi

Simon, you do a good job...!

But if your home is warm, sve your money with the HEATER CABLE>>

AnyWay am going to get Black Gravel... will look's nicer 100%

Will share the pic's after i done it................. sooooooon

How's your Discus today??

Kamel...

The spray painted back looks excellent. I'll be interested to see what it looks like with water in...I'm sure it'll look great. Next time I get a new tank I think I will paint the back black. I can't see why I would any other colour than black.

Please expand on the heater cable thing :blink: i don't quite get it......

It's old heater with the heating element taken out, wired to a socket to act as a thermostatic controller for the heater cable.

I got it from george's planted tank journal, smithrc made it for him, a nifty idea and it cheap lol
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=83762&st=304#

houndour Posted Today, 10:09 PM
The spray painted back looks excellent. I'll be interested to see what it looks like with water in...I'm sure it'll look great. Next time I get a new tank I think I will paint the back black. I can't see why I would any other colour than black.

I think from now on i'm spraying all my tank background black it looks the bizz.

kamel_007 Posted Today, 10:05 PM
Hi

Simon, you do a good job...!

But if your home is warm, sve your money with the HEATER CABLE>>

AnyWay am going to get Black Gravel... will look's nicer 100%

Will share the pic's after i done it................. sooooooon

How's your Discus today??

Kamel...

Thanks kamal, the discus are fine, the new pair are getting ready to spawn again so fingers crossed, and the new one is starting to develop a lovely effervescent blue.

Just a quick update.

Not much as happend since last posted, been working 24/7 so havn't had chance to get a heater cable.
Going to a fish shop this saturday in otly, i rememder them having them last visit, fingers crossed.
If they dont have one i will order a jbl protemp basic 120 along with my dry ferts from aqua essencials.

I made a diy bubble counter our of a small glass jar, some pipe and a couple of flanges of an old air pump.

.bubble_counter_mod.JPG

I'm looking at solenoid valve on the net at the mo.

Glosso i,ve seen it in pseud and geoage's tanks, has anyone got any pics of the adult plant

Hi m8 nice thread.
Glosso I've seen it in pseud and george's tanks, has anyone got any pics of the adult plant.
Here's a pic of mine

CIMG1240.jpg

keep us posted on the development

Thanks RYO.

Still no movement on the tank, we went to my sisters wedding last night in a lovely country hotel, and got very drunk :S we decided to treat ourselves and stop the night, a bit extravagant but what the heck.

Thanks for the reply.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back