Silver Dollar Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aqua Tom

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
How well do silver dollars fit into a comunity aquarium. When I finaly get round to installing my 400 litre tank I would like a small school of these but obviously dont want the scoffing up the other reidents. I have googled & found conflicting reports ranging from Timid to Semi Aggressive.

I just love the piranha like look of them.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Tom

like most fish the bigger the shoal the less aggressive, also depending on the size of the tank and the other fish you should be fine.

Just no neons or cardinals etc or anything snack sized. They are very gentle fish and are pretty shy... but will eat anything that fits in their mouth!

Larger barbs, larger and faster tetras (silver tips, columbians, buenos aires, emperor, serpae, blue, red eye and congo etc), spotted head standers, flying foxes, plecs, gouramis etc :good: Iwould avoid guppies and fighters too...

they obviously get quite large, at least fist sized i would say. and they decimated the plants in my mates tank, no mercy for foliage !!! his were mental. if something spooked them, or he was doing tank cleaning, or something bumped the tank, they spaz out and start bombing around the tank, bashing into the sides. its not the only time ive heard this happen.

How well do silver dollars fit into a comunity aquarium. When I finaly get round to installing my 400 litre tank I would like a small school of these but obviously dont want the scoffing up the other reidents. I have googled & found conflicting reports ranging from Timid to Semi Aggressive.

I just love the piranha like look of them.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Tom

I must admit to never having heard that Dollars are anything but timid. and the thought of the eating fish, of any size, seems amazing. they are herbivores, and,whilst they will eat any meat you give in the tank, swollowing fish whloe is not one i have ever heard.

moochy13 gives a description of them, I defiantly recognise, though.

apart from getting spooked and, in my experience, not liking loud noise. they are a brilliant community fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back