Silly Question Of The Day

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimboshrimp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering is there any live corals that would go in freshwater tropical tank :) Captain Nemo ( my yellow snail ) is eating all my plants and the debris is getting in filter etc or floating on top of the water when I come down in a morning . So I would really like some live stuff not just all plastic but I'm not sure if its possible to have this and secondly will it be ok if he climbs all over it and not harm either himself or the coral and I presume all my little fish will have a safe nibble too. :) or maybe there are indestructible plants ? 
Thanks in advance sorry if it's a silly question

No, there are no freshwater corals you can keep in an aquarium.

Have you tried Java fern and/or anubias? They're left alone by most snails/fish as they taste bitter (apparently; I haven't tried them myself ;) )

Marimo moss balls :) it grows slowly but when it gets bigger you can split it into smaller balls so it's like it has had babies :3

Thanks for the replies I didn't think so but was just making sure :) I have 2 artificial ones but I think I will try the marimo moss balls now the next question is where do I buy them do lfs stock them or will I have to order and if so what are the chances of them being contaminated with disease or anything as I wouldn't be able to look at them before I buy :) not that I know what im looking at anyway lol . More floaty bits this morning and I can't find him yet this morning been up an hour and still not seen him. (maybe hes hiding coz hes been naughty nibbling my greenery) and on the case of feeding him what can I give him to vary his diet I have sinking pellets at the moment just one a day so not to over feed as I have ammonia problems  and obviously he has his 5 a day on greens :)
Thanks again
Angie :)

there was a guy on here selling moss balls :)
be sure to check out the classifieds :)

Ebay has moss balls for really low prices. That would be the best deal. I know that the LFS I go to in the US sells them, but they're about eight dollars a pop. I've seen some on eBay for around 2 dollars each.

In Japan they see them as a symbol of good luck and people actually just keep moss balls in their homes in jars kind of like a pet 

Make sure you get the proper live genuine ones though (which are actually algae, not moss) as there are lots of fakes balls just made from scrunched up ferns and mosses which will probably not live very long whereas genuine Marimo Moss balls can live for over 200 years so make sure you have the time and commitment to look after them lol
smile.png

fluttermoth said:
No, there are no freshwater corals you can keep in an aquarium.

Have you tried Java fern and/or anubias? They're left alone by most snails/fish as they taste bitter (apparently; I haven't tried them myself ;) )
I must disagree. I found anubias to taste rather like apple skin. ;)

Ha ha not really sure I will have the whole 200 yrs to care for it :) ive looked locally but none to hand so will widen my search thanks very much for the help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back