Silent cycle questions.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I got my tank just over a week ago and was wondering how I would know if the silent cycle is progressing. I have swords, java fern and dwarf grass. I am soon to get some hornwort and some floaters. I'm just wondering how I will know when I should at the first 2 fish. I just did my one week water test and it read 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite with 8 ppm nitrate. My tap water read 0 ppm nitrate. Any input is greatly appreciated thanks!

Usually you want to wait until you see signs of growth from your plants. Definitely wait until you get your floating plants as these are the fastest growers and will help your water parameters the most.

Once you heavily plant the tank and see that the plants are growing, you can add your first group of fish. Then you will want to test the water frequently to ensure things remain stable and do water changes as needed. Once things are stable, you can add your next group, and so on.

Without adding fish, ammonia, or food, etc to the tank your tests should theoretically remain fine. It's once you add the fish you could possibly see things begin to fluctuate... but not if you plant heavily enough and keep up on water changes :)

Usually you want to wait until you see signs of growth from your plants. Definitely wait until you get your floating plants as these are the fastest growers and will help your water parameters the most.

Once you heavily plant the tank and see that the plants are growing, you can add your first group of fish. Then you will want to test the water frequently to ensure things remain stable and do water changes as needed. Once things are stable, you can add your next group, and so on.

Without adding fish, ammonia, or food, etc to the tank your tests should theoretically remain fine. It's once you add the fish you could possibly see things begin to fluctuate... but not if you plant heavily enough and keep up on water changes :)
Thanks! I'm going to see what my LFS has in stock tomorrow! :)

How long have you been doing a cycle on this tank and what test kit are you using?

It might be useful in adding more information if you could post tank size, water parameters including hardness and planned tank stocking.

Just that you say you plan on the first two fish, what specie of fish and why only two.

How long have you been doing a cycle on this tank and what test kit are you using?

It might be useful in adding more information if you could post tank size, water parameters including hardness and planned tank stocking.

Just that you say you plan on the first two fish, what specie of fish and why only two.
Sorry I didn't see this post. I suppose this thread is kind of outdated. It is a 29 gallon tank, and it has been cycling for 2 and a half weeks. I'm doing a silent cycle so I don't want to drop a huge bio-load on developing plants with a not so huge bacteria colony.
This thread will fill you in on some info, I had some unexpected early stocking.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back