Sick Hengel Rasbora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

needhamd

Reaction score
Hello people,

I'm new to the hobby and have my first tank (cycled and everything) have had fish in for over a month after the cycle and have low levels of ammonia etc and pH is good but have a problem with one fish.

Physical- I recently found that one of my rasbora had an angry red area on its side above the pectoral fin, after returning from work I saw that it had spread to the other side and the day after had spread under the abdomen, this is also swollen. On the sides there is what looks like excess slime and he is gasping for breath. 

Behavioural- He will not school, is sluggish and has not eaten food since this started (that I have seen).

From what I have read I thought it may be costia but the pics I have seen in no way match the angry red patches that my fish has. I would attach a photo but can't get him out of the plants for long enough to get a decent one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A few questions:  Specifically, what are the pH, ammonia, etc. readings?

Do you have a QT and some spare filter media?

pH 7.5
ammonia and nitrite is zero or as close to
low trace of nitrate

no  QT unfortunately

Not having a QT is going to make it more difficult.  I don't know what the issue might be, but when in doubt - good clean, fresh water is a good starting point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back