sick Black Moor Goldfish not eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GoneFishin111

Reaction score
So, I recently set up a 20 gallon tank, it had a bacteria bloom, went through an algae spike stage and took a couple months to get right as I was observing the nitrogen cycle process. Finally, I felt it was ready ( and that was my first mistake) and assumed it was good to go for living fishes. I put a fancy goldfish in there and it did okay for a few minutes but then got stuck to the filter. I checked the water parameters and there was a crap ton of nitrite. I have no idea how it (nitrogen cycle) restarted except for the fact that it was previously bare bottom so all the bacteria was on the filter not the tank substrate. When I cleaned out all the decay and waste (in preparation for the new goldfish) I must have killed off the colony or something... and it crashed the tank. I put in some new substrate and moved the black moor to my 29 gallon temporarily since it is a well established tank. It's fair to say I won't be doing barebottom any time soon since it's harder to keep a colony. To clarify, my goldfish was sitting in toxic water for at least a few hours before I realized what was wrong.

Anyways, my concern was getting my goldfish to eat as it is recovering in the 29 gal tank. It is lethargic and showing symptoms of nitrite poisoning but my 29 gallon is well oxygenated and has a strong bacteria colony and a few plants thrown in for good measure. Is there any way to help my fish recover or at least give him a stronger chance of getting better besides water changes and aquarium salt? I'm thinking I should do some frozen peas and give it something healthy to improve its immune system but I'm not too sure where to start. Fins are showing some decay and fraying, but he is still responsive going on 3 days now and I think he will make it.

Below are my parameters, I just tested them a few minutes ago and did a 50% water change because of the high nitrates. I vacuumed the sand substrate as much as possible and removed most of the poo.

Tank size: 29 gallon
pH: 7.5-8
ammonia: 0PPM
nitrite: 0PPM
nitrate: 40PPM-60PPM
kH: --
gH: --
tank temp: 76-77 F

I'm not too sure what KH and GH are to be frank...

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Lethargic behavior, not eating, will still respond and swim when water is agitated, but does not follow food. Some missing scales and signs of fin fraying or finrot.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: Weekly 25-30% water changes, sometimes 50%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: None

Tank inhabitants: 4 black mollies, 6 black neon tetras, 2 bettas (one in isolation mini-tank), 2 corydora catfish

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals: None

Digital photo (include if possible):

Attached

Attachments

• WIN_20191222_15_45_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20191222_15_45_16_Pro.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 274
  • WIN_20191222_15_45_22_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20191222_15_45_22_Pro.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 137
  • WIN_20191222_15_48_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20191222_15_48_58_Pro.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 142
do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks.
make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Most reactions

trending

Back