Sick betta...I think! Please advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Cassiee303

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the aquatic world of fish, and I have recently purchased a very sick betta that I am trying my best to help.

When i first purchased him(nearly two months ago), he was In poor health and bad living conditions. He had no color in his body or fins from what Iā€™m assuming was stress (also not ideal water temperatures for a betta). He is now in a 2 gallon tank(waiting to put him in a 5 gal when he recovers) that is heated, and I do water changes weekly.

since then, he is now vibrant in color, but there is a white spot on his body that looks like fungus, but I cannot be sure. Itā€™s been resistant to melafix, and I am currently treating him with Maracyn oxy on the recommendation of the pet store. It has been present on him since I bought him. To be honest, Iā€™m not sure if it is a true fungal infection, or just signs of old age (the store said they didnā€™t know how long he had been there, but after doing some research, I seem to think heā€™s an old grump of a betta). His behavior is normal and he is quite active. He eats and plays and builds bubble nests, I just worry that Whatever is on his body is causing him pain. I would also like to introduce him into a larger tank with other fish compatible to male bettas, but cannot do so until I have this under control. Also, Iā€™ve grown quite attached to him and so I would hate to see him die just because I didnā€™t know enough about whatā€™s wrong to help him :(

If anyone has any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, as the pet store is of little help.
B35E25FF-2C01-4B1E-A771-E4BF6C7C8E8B.jpeg

Attachments

• 91B20FC4-FA07-45B2-837D-D0A403A7147A.jpeg
    91B20FC4-FA07-45B2-837D-D0A403A7147A.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 8BE8850C-0705-49FA-9242-5923F8BF8982.jpeg
    8BE8850C-0705-49FA-9242-5923F8BF8982.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
He looks like he is just an old fish
I appreciate your reply, thank you! The only thing that makes me worry is that the white is beginning to show on the other side of his fin too where it previously was not showing, but it doesnā€™t look like itā€™s eating through his scales.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It is not a fungal or bacterial infection.

-------------------
It's preferable if you don't use Melafix, Pimafix or Betafix in tanks with Labyrinth fishes (Bettas and Gouramis) because these medications leave an oily film on the surface that can affect the fish.

Medications like Maracyn Oxy should only be used on known fungal or bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use of chemicals and medications has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals, reptiles and fish.

-------------------
The best treatment for most fish is clean water and a clean tank. If your fish ever look off colour or unwell, do the following.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH.

Wipe the inside of the tank with a clean soap/ chemical free sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until you find out what is wrong with the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash the filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

Post pictures of the fish on the forum and ask for help straight away. The sooner we see the fish, the sooner we can offer advice on how to treat it.

-------------------
Right now I would just do some water changes and gravel cleans and stop adding chemicals. The fish looks fine and as long as it is eating well, doing a normal poop, and not acting weird, there is no need to do anything.

-------------------
It's preferable if you don't use Melafix, Pimafix or Betafix in tanks with Labyrinth fishes (Bettas and Gouramis) because these medications leave an oily film on the surface that can affect the fish.

Medications like Maracyn Oxy should only be used on known fungal or bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use of chemicals and medications has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals, reptiles and fish.

-------------------
The best treatment for most fish is clean water and a clean tank. If your fish ever look off colour or unwell, do the following.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until you find out what is wrong with the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash the filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

Post pictures of the fish on the forum and ask for help straight away. The sooner we see the fish, the sooner we can offer advice on how to treat it.

-------------------
Right now I would just do some water changes and gravel cleans and stop adding chemicals. The fish looks fine and as long as it is eating well, doing a normal poop, and not acting weird, there is no need to do anything.

Thank you, I really appreciate all the information. :)

I will discontinue the maracyn oxy and continue to do water changes. The white spot continues to grow in size, is that something I should worry about? You canā€™t tell from the pictures very well, but it is a different texture than the rest of his color, itā€™s chalky.

Cassiee~

Read a post recently, honestly can't remember who or what fish...anyway the fish had a white spot that looked similar to Grumps, and I'm pretty sure it was diagnosed to be attributed to a heater. Maybe see if he is hanging around on a heater?
Just a thought...it may be nothin.
~Regards

-------------------

-------------------

-------------------
Hello again. Iā€™m hoping for some urgent advice. My betta has took a turn for the worst, he is not swimming, very lethargic, and when he does, itā€™s erratic. He almost tried jumping out of the water which is something he has never done.
All water parameters are ideal, the tank is cycled, and I have done 25% water changes weekly. I have kept the water immaculate.
The spot on him has since grown and today it looked like dead scales were falling off the spot and eating through to the other side.

I have a quarantine tank set up and ready to go, but should I only use salt? Also, the quarantine tank is not cycled because I set it up so quickly, so will that have an impact on his health?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 115
Is he the only inhabitant in the 2gal tank? If so, don't bother with the QT.

When did you last do a water change? I would recommend doing 20% daily for the next bit.

What temperature is the tank? Can you describe further what changed in the fish? Are you able to post a video? (Put it on YouTube if this site does not allow you to upload it).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back