Sick angelfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Now I want to put out there that these ARE NOT MY ANGELFISH. They are my father's and I am posting for advice on his behalf. Any angry lectures or criticism that is not actually helpful to this post is not welcome.

The story:
A little over a month ago I upgraded to a 60 gallon tank and last week was finally able to move my fish over after letting the new filter with borrowed media cycle. I gave my old 36 gallon bow front to my father as I have no room for two large tanks. Along with my old filter I gave him the used media as well as half the sand in my new tank to ensure a good amount of beneficial bacteria to kick start the cycle. He decided to go out and purchase 2 koi angelfish and a few neon tetras from petsmart a few days after this and the next day they were showing signs of sickness already (petsmart fish, woo :/ )

The neons have ick which I have been treating with elevated water temp, around 79 degrees farenheight, and doses of herbtana natural remedy. I have had great performance with this medicine and the benefit is that it is completely harmless to the bacteria colony. Here is a link of the product I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LO9LDI/?tag=ff0d01-20

He has lost 4 out of the 8 neons to ick. The remaining 4 are showing signs of improvement. Fewer white spots, increased activity and less rubbing on the plants.

The angelfish symptoms:

One of the two koi angels had a fin that showed whitening and is now clamped and he is unable to open it fully. He can move it back and forth but can't "unfurl" it so to speak. The white areas are not fuzzy in appearance. Appetite and other coloring seems normal. The other angelfish is now developing similar white spots on his upper fin and I've not found much from searching. Here are the photos. I can also post a video later if it's needed.
44834574_2216670491684794_6350359028333281280_o.jpg

44872098_2216670191684824_8087189677657817088_o.jpg

44808439_2216670245018152_8713571333058854912_o.jpg

The first photo is the second angel developing those white spots on his upper fin, the last two photos is the angelfish witht he clenched, white fin and spots on his back tail near the end. The sponge on the intake is to prevent any week fish from getting stuck against it in the last photo.

What I've done as far as treatment: Increased water temp/herbtana dosed daily for ick treatment in neons, nothing else added to water other than conditioner. 50% water changes every day with conditioned, even temperature water.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok. Raising the temp to 79 doesn't do nothing. Neons and angels need completely different temps. Look at cardinal tetras. Second, you need to raise the temp to 86 SLOWLY. I see black neon tetras, not neons?

Ok. Raising the temp to 79 doesn't do nothing. Neons and angels need completely different temps. Look at cardinal tetras. Second, you need to raise the temp to 86 SLOWLY. I see black neon tetras, not neons?
Yes they are black neon tetras. Again this is not my tank I did NOT choose the fishn in it and have already scolded my father for this mess. I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat me like this is my fault. Secondly I did attempt to raise the temperature in the tank to above 80 but the BLACK NEONS died even faster even though I was doing it in increments of 2 degrees every 2 hours. Also we live in the desert so having the tank that hot poses a threat for even higher temps depending on the temperature for the day. Since I don't live in the house I can't babysit the tank with a thermometer all day. I'm concerned about his angelfish more than the tetras as I 've done all I can for them. My current predicament is with the ANGELFISH. If you can help diagnose the problem please do so.

Yes they are black neon tetras. Again this is not my tank I did NOT choose the fishn in it and have already scolded my father for this mess. I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat me like this is my fault. Secondly I did attempt to raise the temperature in the tank to above 80 but the BLACK NEONS died even faster even though I was doing it in increments of 2 degrees every 2 hours. Also we live in the desert so having the tank that hot poses a threat for even higher temps depending on the temperature for the day. Since I don't live in the house I can't babysit the tank with a thermometer all day. I'm concerned about his angelfish more than the tetras as I 've done all I can for them. My current predicament is with the ANGELFISH. If you can help diagnose the problem please do so.
I'm not blaming you at all. As for turning the temp up two degrees every two hours, it isn't suppose to go that quick. Turn it up one degree everyday slowly. Hmm desert, so do you have any fans to put over the water?

I'm not blaming you at all. As for turning the temp up two degrees every two hours, it isn't suppose to go that quick. Turn it up one degree everyday slowly. Hmm desert, so do you have any fans to put over the water?
There are fans in the house but none tall enough or agile enough to have over the water. Out here my father has what is known as a "swamp cooler" rather than a real AC. It's not unusual for the inside of the house to be in the high 70's or low 80's during peak times of the day. Also he owns a cat, so leaving the top off the tank for a fan to blow on it would be a no go as to that.

Do you have any ice? Got an idea! Put ice cubes in the tank. Easy as pie and brings the temp down quickly! As for the angel, are the fins clamped?

Do you have any ice? Got an idea! Put ice cubes in the tank. Easy as pie and brings the temp down quickly! As for the angel, are the fins clamped?
I do have ice but its not frozen with conditioned water, so I'd be releasing all the nasty things they put in our tap water around here into the tank. Plus its 36 gallons. I'd need a lot of ice to cool it down for just a short amount of time. Right now the weather has been fairly comfortable keeping the tank in the low 70ish degrees according to my father.

Yes his left fin is clamped and was turning white before that. His other fin is now turning white as well when it was otherwise clear/had no color.

I do have ice but its not frozen with conditioned water, so I'd be releasing all the nasty things they put in our tap water around here into the tank. Plus its 36 gallons. I'd need a lot of ice to cool it down for just a short amount of time. Right now the weather has been fairly comfortable keeping the tank in the low 70ish degrees according to my father.
I was gonna say I easily did it with my 60 gallon. And I have a water soften. I was gonna also say that you can always add prime. As for the clamp fin... could be many different things. Stressed, got an infection, immune system is weak, etc.

I do have ice but its not frozen with conditioned water, so I'd be releasing all the nasty things they put in our tap water around here into the tank

You dont need conditioned water.

Heres what you do,

Have you got a few empty coke bottles ? Clean the label off fill the bottle with water put the cap back on and stick it in the freezer, Once the water in the bottle is frozen stick it in the tank, DO NOT take the cap off.

You dont need conditioned water.

Heres what you do,

Have you got a few empty coke bottles ? Clean the label off fill the bottle with water put the cap back on and stick it in the freezer, Once the water in the bottle is frozen stick it in the tank, DO NOT take the cap off.
That's what I did over summer. Don't drink coke so just bought a couple of cases of the cheapest drinking water I could find and never even opened them.

Just remember unless you are there to change the bottles continuously there is not much point in going more than 1 or 2 degrees below room temp.

This is all well and good advice about lowering tank temperature in case of emergencies, but my current issue is needing help diagnosing his angelfish.

Have you seen them flashing ? It looks like fin damage from rubbing or friction. Their gills look inflamed too.

If you have ich, then just use an ich med. any of them work fine. Ich-X or Rid Ich. They will all work about the same. No need to raise the temps too high. Just follow the instructions on the packaging.

The white spots on the angelfish fins look like ich also. So I would treat the entire tank. It should go away.

If you have ich, then just use an ich med. any of them work fine. Ich-X or Rid Ich. They will all work about the same. No need to raise the temps too high. Just follow the instructions on the packaging.

The white spots on the angelfish fins look like ich also. So I would treat the entire tank. It should go away.
Ick are small little dots that look like sand stuck to their bodies. This discoloration is certainly NOT ick as I've treated this parasite before. The discoloration it LITERALLY the actual FIN turning white in spots. Not something ON the fin that is white. The fin itself. His gills are also not inflamed. This particular breed of angelfish has "rosy" cheeks as I have 2 koi angelfish in my tank with the same coloration.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back