Shrimps Or Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jamesy100

Reaction score
I'm coming to the end of a fishless cycle for my 190 litre community tank. I've more or less decided my stocking list, but I'm needing some advice on algae eaters. I'm thinking of getting some shrimp or a small pleco. I have listed my specs below, and was wondering if anyone had ideas on what i should get to keep the algae under control. Any advice would be most welcome.

Specs:

190 litre tank with two 30W lights

Phil Green External filter rated at 1500 l/h

Sand Substrate

One large piece of bogwood (35cm) and one tree stump about 20cm high

Seven assorted plants (in pots) ranging from 10-20 cm in height

Proposed stocking list:

15 harlequin raspora
8 five banded barbs
8 peppered cories
2 dwarf gourami

Also, if you have any opinions on any of specs or stocking suggestions, they would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

James

Your stocking looks good. The only thing I'd be wary of is the dwarf gouramis. They're great fish but you don't want two males. A lot of fish shops tend to sell them in sexed pairs but I believe they do better in groups of 1M:2-3F.

Be careful with the plec. Some types grow very big despite being tiny when you buy them, so make sure you do your research before you buy.

I've got amano shrimp and they've done an amazing job of eating the algae that was previously growing on my wood. They also won't breed in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being overrun with them.

Great choice of fish... I echo Cezza though. 2 Honey gourami might be better than the dwarfs.

Also for a pleco, clown or bristlenose would work well in your tank. But, be certain what you are getting in the LFS. BN and common plecos look very similar when they are about 1 inch long. ;-) But, they don't stay similar for long.

Thanks for the replies. I like the look of amano shrimps, and the fact that they don't breed is a plus for me. How many amanos would you recommend getting? I'll look into honey gouramis, or think of 3 dwarfs.

I'd get 5-10 probs at the most for your sized tank.

I've got 5 amano shrimp in my 155L and it's a nice amount to have. I like playing spot the shrimp and seeing how many I can see at once. In the many months I've had them, I've only managed to spot all five together once. :p

iv got amanos as well there great best algae eater out there imo, iv got them with oto's as well

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll start out with 5 amano shrimp, and add later if I think I need more. I like the idea of having something in the tank that's not immediately apparent, but is visible on closer inspection.

This topic has urged me to look at shrimps a bit more, I've never really considered them for my tank. Amano shrimps get a thumbs up? I love the idea that the closer you look the more you see.

+1 on the Amano shrimp. Fascinating little things; I have four large ones in my 100 litre community, and since changing the substrate from gravel to sand and the fake wood to real wood, they are always on show rather than hiding away. Highly recommended!

My first tank was a complete purchase of tank, equipment, fish etc. the only benefit of this I found was that I had a ready cycled filter set up! The fish selection, I soon discovered was a right hotch potch! Among them was a pleco who did a great job - no algae to be seen! BUT as I watch him growing day by day (!!!), I id'ed him as a common pleco and decided he needed rehoming! I took him to my lfs, where I traded him in. Then got a couple of algae eaters - tiny active slivers who stuck to the glass like Mick Jagger! They too grew in front of my eyes and 1 became aggressive to the other who died mysteriously one night! Id'ed these to be Chinese algae eaters and my book recommended Siamese algae eaters! Tracked down some Siamese and traded in the Chinese! Indeed the Siamese are slower growing, more communal and good tempered sorts, who I assume are doing a reasonable job to keep my algae down to a minimum. I still complain to them that their job isn't good enough, when I have to clean the glass! Am I expecting too much that they should munch all the algae developing on plants, decorations AND the glass?
So HOW good are these shrimps? (maybe another trade - in to be done?!!! ;-) )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back