Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

R3GG

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I've noticed that some people keep different kinds of freshwater shrimp in their tanks with their fish, can anyone tell me what their requirements are in the way of food and water conditions and if they get on with fish well? I hear that they clean the water :huh: what are the best types to get? B)
cheers

Hi there,

I used to have 2 glass shrimps, they can go in a community tank and will eat left overs and particles of food in the water.

Unfortunately I got some clown loaches about 3 weeks later and they scoffed the poor shrimps.

I didn't even think about it, and I bought the laches to get rid of snails. How thick.

Thought it was a bit too noob and general for that tbh
Thanks for the info Crookster i will look into glass shrimp :D

Wow I didn't even know there was an invertebrates and amphibians section, perhaps that's why this topic was started here. Thanks for the info Richard :thumbs:

I just can't say enough good things about freshwater shrimp! They are a great addition to a community tank. I've had ghost (or glass) shrimp, amano shrimp, and red shrimp. I find that amano are the hardiest of all three, but the red are definately the most colorful. Amano's are also good algae eaters (mine were actually sold to me under the name "algae eating shrimp").

LoL "agae eating shrimp" I love these LFS stories... ^_^, I plan on buying a few ghost shrimp at my LFS.. they are about 1 inch in size.. hopep they dont get too big now ^_^..

I have a Cameroon armoured shrimp and 3 bumble bee shrimp
The armoured one is approx 4" in length and cleans the floor of my tank
the bumble bee ones are red with white horizontal stripes along their abdomin
but i never seen them in the day, They hid in the plants untill night time :sly:

Probably not the best idea to try and sneak things into your tank :blink: even if your parents don't notice you put it there they'll notice if they have to fish it out if it dies :/

Are shrimps best in groups or individually? Do you need to feed them, if so what? Will cories eat them? Is there a certain pH they like?

They eat scraps, Cories don't eat them. I've had 3 Cory and 6 shrimp together before with no problems and neutral pH is about best. It depends on what type of shrimp you get. Even among Ghost shrimp there are several species and some of them are Brackish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back