Shrimp Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I have never done a Journal on here before and thought that now would be the ideal opportunity as I am planning on setting up a tank with Shrimp and some small fish.

At the moment I have a rather rough Acrylic Tank which I picked up for free, it's 46L and measure 35x30x44.

Here is a poor picture of it

Photo 28-08-2015 23 06 36.jpg

I have set this tank up but the intentions of using getting the plants and some small fish but when I was at my LFS yesterday I spotted a 40cm Cube tank with a lid for £25 so think I am going to get that instead. It looks a lot smarter and is slightly larger as well. Here's a picture of it

Photo 28-08-2015 14 37 41.jpg

Although it has a lot of equipment in it I am only going to be getting the bare tank.

So here are my plans so far for which ever tank I end up with.

Plants and Wood

I have been offered the following bundle of plants for £30 which should be everything I need

1 Red Tiger Lotus
1 Anubias Nana
1 Anubias Lanceolata
1 Peacock Moss on a Cinnamon Tunnel
1 Bunch of Cabomba
2 Shrimp Tunnels
1 Red Moor Wood
4 Moss Balls (might substitue these out for some moss as I already have some in my other tank)

All of this will be in a Sand substrate. As of yet I am undecided on whether to does with CO2 from the small disposable canisters you get or just add liquid nutrients, perhaps even liquid CO2.

Lighting

For my lighting I plan on using a Desk Lamp with a CFL Bulb in it. I have spent a lot of time researching different options and this seems like the easiest and cheapest option which will do just fine.

The bulb will be 30W which is equivalent to 100W on a normal bulb, it will be 6500k and give out about 1500 lumens.

Filtration

This will just be a sponge filter which is already matured in my main tank. The reason why I am using a sponge filter is so that if I end up with any shrimplets they won't be sucked up by the filter.

Stock

My stock will obviously be Shrimps and most likely RCS, I have been offered 10 for £12 which is under half the price of what my LFS is offering them for. 

I also plan on having some small fish, someone suggested Microrasboras or Scarlet Bardis. I really like the look of the Scarlet Bardis to be honest.

Hopefully this just about covers everything. I'm open to suggestions and alternative options of course. This is probably going to take me a little to get set up due to financial constraints and trying to keep it cheap.

Sounds good, like the way you are planng ahead :)

This is going to be a good little tank :nod:

Can't wait to see pics as you progress ;)

So today I went to my LFS and picked up my new tank! 
yahoo.gif

I have taken out the old tank, put the new one into position and filled it. The sand has caused a lots of discolouration in the water and I had horrible orangey foam/bubbles on the surface but hopefully with a few water changes and maintainence this will clear. I am also using my old tetratec filter for the time being just to help clean the water. I really need to get some filter floss though to help get the water as clear as possible.

This is the tank right now, the water has cleared up quite nicely but I think I will do a WC tomorrow and give the sand a good stir again.

Photo 30-08-2015 19 30 15.jpg

I have just chucked some fake plants in for the time being to try and make it some what pleasing to the eye :lol: I have also added a black background by taping a black bag to the back as well, It doesn't look too bad in all honesty.

My current situation with lighting is that I have none. I went around loads of shops yesterday in search of a suitable lamp but had no luck finding one that takes the bulb I need, or if it did the Wattage rating of the lamp was too low. What I am thinking now is to buy either this fixture or this one and make my own reflector using an Aluminium Foil Tray like you get from your local chinese takeaway - I can sense a chinese takeaway being delivered very soon! Hopefully that will provide enough reflection to provide the plants with adequate lighting.

I also found some Scarlet Bardis at my LFS, I am definitely determined to get some of them for my tank, they are amazing! However will be pricey to get enough of them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Scarlet badis is a tropical freshwater fish and one of the smallest known percoid fish species. It is a micropredator, feeding on small aquatic crustaceans, worms, insect larvae and other zooplankton. Wikipedia

So you want the fish in your shrimp tank that eats shrimp? Ehhhh :)

AmtotheBurr said:
So you want the fish in your shrimp tank that eats shrimp? Ehhhh
smile.png

It's barely bigger and than the nail on my little finger, don't think I'm going to have any issues, The shrimplets - if I ever get any - may be at risk though.

Moving onto a different topic I don't know whether I should get a CO2 canister, CO2 Liquid or just go with ferts. Any help and advice would be great :)

Ch4rlie said:

You want to do co2, this may help for information - Pressurized Co2, Equipment, Flow and Fertilisation
You've made a link back to this thread :p

benthyer said:

You want to do co2, this may help for information - Pressurized Co2, Equipment, Flow and Fertilisation
You've made a link back to this thread
tongue2.gif

Whoops!

I'll sort that now.

I'm interested in how it all turns out :) also my piranhas are getting to be messy eaters what's a good small shrimp like fish or even a shrimp they will scavenge the bottom of the tank ( I feed them freeze dried krill but will buy frozen shrim for them) and also good luck :)

CthulhuReborn said:
I'm interested in how it all turns out :) also my piranhas are getting to be messy eaters what's a good small shrimp like fish or even a shrimp they will scavenge the bottom of the tank ( I feed them freeze dried krill but will buy frozen shrim for them) and also good luck :)
This would be something you could ask on another thread under shrimp because this is Ben's freshwater journal where he shares about his tank. I'd try posting your question under its own thread so more people will see it and get it answered and also so we don't hijack Ben's journal. :)

AmtotheBurr said:
This would be something you could ask on another thread under shrimp because this is Ben's freshwater journal where he shares about his tank. I'd try posting your question under its own thread so more people will see it and get it answered and also so we don't hijack Ben's journal. :)
yea I wasn't trying to ask a quick question about the shrimp but I will make a new one :) sorry Ben for semi hijacking lol good luck with your tank :)

Small update on the tank. Over the past week or so not a lot has happened. I have had a temporary filter running in the tank for this period of time which has done a grand job of clearing the water for. Going to do another big water change on the tank this week just to ensure that it is all clean.

I have finally managed to get in touch with the guy that I am getting the plants and wood from and the stock list has changed, what he has now offered is:
2 x Tropica
2 x Mayaka
1 x Echinodorus Argentinsis
1 x Amazon Sword
2 x Creeping moss for wood
1 x Red Moor Wood (Image Below)
2 x Moss Balls

IMG_1253.JPG

I'm quite happy with the list but if you think I should change anything let me know.

I have also got my light so will work on setting that up and making a reflector for it.

I think I will also dose the tank with ferts and liquid CO2 for now to see how things develop.

Also went to another LFS and they will order in Scarlet Badis for me specifically and at a cheaper price so looks like my stock list is sorted so far.

I've also been toying with the idea of moving my Cories into this tank, I have seen it done in other shrimp tanks and they will prefer the substrate as well. What do you think?

Waiting for more Pics.

I don't know whether I should get a CO2 canister
IMO a  low tech tank is easier.

NickAu said:
Waiting for more Pics.

I will add more pics tomorrow as I will be receiving all my plants and wood and setting up :)

Most reactions

trending

Back