Shrimp Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M4R13Y

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I really want to keep shrimp but don't know where to start.
I currently have a 30 litre tank with a few tetras in but want a completely separate tank to house the shrimp
All ideas and advice welcome.

Looking into cherry red, crystal red or blue amano shrimp

Thanks M4

Hi there.
If you have never kept shrimp, I suggest you start with Cherry Reds.
They are much hardier, and easier to care for.
If you want to house them, your environment needs to be in good condition, and above all, stable.
The cherry shrimp can be in a lot of temperatures, and ph as well, so as long as your water is clean, and the ph and temps are not always changing, you should be fine.

Shrimp also LOVE plants, mosses and ferns.

First get the tank up and running way before you get the shrimp. they do best in live planted tanks, but if you feel that plants would be to hard look into moss walls/grounds. don't need any substrate, just the proper lighting and it'll be great. you jut need a grid to attach the moss to and it'll be a full round carpet. 
don't know what i mean just google moss wall aquarium and imagine the wall on the ground as well.

l_l_l said:
Hi there.
If you have never kept shrimp, I suggest you start with Cherry Reds.
They are much hardier, and easier to care for.
If you want to house them, your environment needs to be in good condition, and above all, stable.
The cherry shrimp can be in a lot of temperatures, and ph as well, so as long as your water is clean, and the ph and temps are not always changing, you should be fine.

Shrimp also LOVE plants, mosses and ferns.

+1

For a separate shrimp tank, maybe a 5 gal tank would be good, obviously tank will need to be established for a while before adding shrimps.

As already suggested, Red Cherry Shrimps would be the best species to start off with, a lot of LFS do stock those and are cheaper than most other species as well as being more hardy.

A little more information on Shrimp species on this site
http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Hope that helps

I want a shrimp after reading that link!! And yeah reds are the best for beginners

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back