Shrimp Food

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I like to treat my fish every so often with a bunch of Ghost Shrimp. These shrimp last a day at most usually. Although it looks like I have some new friends in my tank now. From my group of 30 I bought a month ago to acts as food for my fish, I counted 8 still alive this morning. At this point, they are probably too big to become food so they will now be new friends in my tank.

Now, this does raise a question for me. Since I now have an established shrimp colony, will any other I buy as food be safer? Should I stop trying to feed the Ghost Shrimp to my fish and find them a different "treat"?

Why would you feed ghost shrimp to your fish?

All ghost shrimp I’ve ever seen have been full grown, and way to big for most normal community fish.

Do you have Cichlids or something?

——

I wouldn’t start a colony in that tank. They are used to eating them for a treat now, so they will constantly attempt to eat the adults and definitely the fry.

Why would you feed ghost shrimp to your fish?

All ghost shrimp I’ve ever seen have been full grown, and way to big for most normal community fish.

Do you have Cichlids or something?

——

I wouldn’t start a colony in that tank. They are used to eating them for a treat now, so they will constantly attempt to eat the adults and definitely the fry.
I feed Ghost Shrimp because they are so cheap and it's good to mix up food for fish. My Angelfish eat them, maybe my Gourami too but I've not seen them do it. I ask for the smallest ones the store has at the time.

I had no plans to start a colony, just to leave those 8 survivors alive to do their thing. I was just wondering if a colony would start if I got more to treat my fish since they have more numbers or if my fish would eat the new ones just as they always have.

I would find a different treat, if you plan to keep that colony.

Eventually, the Angles/Gouramis will find the remaining 8, and eat those to, especially if they are hungry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back