Should I Separate These Fish?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I have this really mean female betta. She is just down right nasty. Always picking fights. Even when the other bettas are just doing nothing this mean one comes out of NOWHERE and chase them. I had 6 females in a 36 Gal tank. All were fine with the exception of this devil fish. Before I put her in the tank they were all fine. I took 2 out to treat for posable infections. The 2 are living just fine together in the 10 Gal hospital tank. They are nice females and are use to each other. I am really fed up with this red one. She has been a bully ever since she was little. I mean down right evil. Anyone want her?

I am thinking should I just take the bully out and put her in the 10 Gal tank alone. Add the other nice ones back in since they are done with treatment and are looking and acting great. I think I will do that.

Now my other question. I have 2 male balloon rams. At first I thought they were a pair. But now they are older I can tell they are not. Some days they get along fine. Today I saw a full on fight. mouth biting, big displays, and that little dance they do to look tough. I mean they were going at it. No one got hurt physically. But I think the smaller one is stressed.

SO should I take him out, and put him in the 10 Gal that with the mean female betta? Or should I leave him in there and see if they get over it? They are in the same 36 Gal tank. Lots of places to hide and plants every where.

I just don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?
I will start by separating the devil fish from all other fish. Maybe I can give her away to a friend.
 
I just put the devil betta in with the other 2 in the 10 Gal and of course now she is not top dog. We will see how that goes. Back in the big tank the other 3 females have all come out of hiding and are back to normal.

But I still don't know what to do about my 2 male Rams.
 
Generally with rams its all bluff, it looks mean sometimes, but nobody is hurt, however, if one is becoming stressed by it, maybe best to remove him, but I wouldnt suggest putting him with something else just as aggressive. You may need to re-home him.

Otherwise, you could try, taking both the rams out of the tank, re-arrange the decor compeletly, make sure there are no lines of sight for them with plants, caves etc, then re-introduce the weaker ram first, then a while later the more dominant male, this puts them back on an even footing re territory and might stop the aggression.

As for the female betta, never had any so cant say, but if shes that bad, maybe its time for her to go.
 
Generally with rams its all bluff, it looks mean sometimes, but nobody is hurt, however, if one is becoming stressed by it, maybe best to remove him, but I wouldnt suggest putting him with something else just as aggressive. You may need to re-home him.

Otherwise, you could try, taking both the rams out of the tank, re-arrange the decor compeletly, make sure there are no lines of sight for them with plants, caves etc, then re-introduce the weaker ram first, then a while later the more dominant male, this puts them back on an even footing re territory and might stop the aggression.

As for the female betta, never had any so cant say, but if shes that bad, maybe its time for her to go.


Thanks. Yeah no one got really hurt one a little fin nip. They are now staying far away from each other. One stays on his side of the tank and the other stays on his side. Its weird because some days they are fine with each other. But lately the smaller one I guess was sick of being picked on and started to fight back. I might try the rearranging.

Thanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top