Should I Replace Gravel with Sand?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

It's been amazing for my 54L so far... Washing it is a bit of a pain, and getting it to lay flat and not form big dunes in the wrong parts of the tank is troublesome, but it feels sooo nice to wedge hardscaping bits and bobs into. So much nicer than gravel.
It’s not hard to wash at all, assuming you get the correct brand.

I don’t think you guys can get Quikrete over there in the UK? But that’s what I use, and it was a breeze to wash.

Maybe someone over in the UK can point you to a good brand. :good:

Hm. Should I make a journal for this or keep it all here? Also, like Pheonix said, some UK recommendations on sand would be great!

My daughter's first tank had CPG, absolutely horrendous...

My 170L tank (recently learned that it's a discontinued model - a Juwel Panoramic - for anyone wondering) has a sharp-ish gravel as its substrate and an area to the right with smooth pebbles. As some of you know I keep kuhli loaches, corys and plecos* in this tank, which I'm aware need sand rather than gravel to properly thrive. I'm starting to get increasingly worried about damaging their undersides, and I'm hoping to get some more catfish in the future so I'd like to make the newcomers as comfortable as possible. Is it too late to switch out my gravel for sand?

Any advice and/or recommendations would be very helpful!

And... In the mean time, would it be worth moving these fish to my 54L that already has sand? It's currently quarantining three female guppies and two upside down catfish, but once the quarantine is up I'd probably be able to move them in.

*2x plecos (one sailfin and one common that will be rehomed soon)
6x corydoras aeneus (3x albino 3x bronze)
3x kuhli loaches (getting more when I have the space + money)
I'd replace it personally.
A lot better for bottom feeders.
Looks better imo.
Easier to clean and a good place for bb.

Be a ball ache to do but worth it in the end.

Most reactions

Back