34L Fluval - stocking recommendations please!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rams! Electric blue rams! They're like mini acaras (which I used to keep and which were incredible). I can increase the acidity of the water with RO - but - how would they get on with my 6 cherry shrimp, and is 34L too small for a pair?
Hmmm. I think 34L is too small. But I do love a cichlid.

Espei is found in limestone pools in Southern Thailand

'In Krabi province, southern Thailand it can be found living in a particular karstic (limestone) area with neutral to alkaline water (pH 7.0-7.4). The habitat consists of a series of deep limestone sinkholes forming pools at the surface, plus a small ditch which acts as an overflow from the pools.' From seriously fish.

I agree they are also found in more typical South East Asian habitats but at best its simple to determine it must be an adaptable species to live in these different biotopes?
Pools in lime stone sinkholes will be very hard. Other species found here include Betta Simplex and Croaking Gourami - Trichopsis Vittata.

Yes, my oversight. My own profile of this species has:

Origin and Habitat: There are two separate populations in Thailand, one in the south and the other in the east that extends into Cambodia. The intensity of colouration differs between the two areas. Occurs in slow-flowing forest streams; the southern population inhabits basic (alkaline) water, important also as the only known habitat of Betta simplex.

Water parameters: Soft to moderately hard (hardness to 10 dGH), acidic to basic (pH 5.5 to 7.5) water, temperature 23-28C/73-82F.

Note however the GH is not "hard," and this is still an issue if the numbers previously given by the OP are accurate.

Edit. The other issue is where the T. espei came from. If the supply available to the OP came from the soft water source, they would have difficulty adapting to a very hard water (again using the posted numbers). If they came from commercially-raised in SE Asia, these will be soft water as that is what fills the outdoor pools where the tropical fish are raised.

Last edited:
What's the most cichliddy pair I could keep in a 34L Fluval? I can soften my water with RO; a supplier is a 10 minute drive away.
I'm looking at this website: https://simstropicalfish.co.uk/
I miss my acaras, don't want to return to bettas (although I've looked at earlier forum threads on TFF and betta simplex look interesting) and am not really a shoally fish person. Although the galaxy danios are pretty...

I would not subject any cichlid to this small a tank. As for other fish, it depends upon your end water parameters. Nano-sized fish are well suited to this size tank, and they will have more demanding needs when it comes to parameters because of their size. Just as the metabolism of smaller fish is significantly faster than that of large fish. With RO diluting the hard water, this opens up many species.

@Byron, what would be your choice?

I cannot really answer this as it involves fish you like, and what the end parameters will be. If you can get very soft water through RO, any small-sized species from South America or SE Asia might be in the cards. This is very general, there are other factors at play here to consider.

But as just one example...assuming very soft water (all RO would be fine for this) you could have in this tank thick floating plants, soft sand substrate, a couple chunks of bogwood, and a group of say 12 of one of the Boraras species of dwarf rasbora, or 12 Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), along with 12-15 Corydoras pygmaeus (the smallest cory).

I cannot really answer this as it involves fish you like, and what the end parameters will be. If you can get very soft water through RO, any small-sized species from South America or SE Asia might be in the cards. This is very general, there are other factors at play here to consider.

But as just one example...assuming very soft water (all RO would be fine for this) you could have in this tank thick floating plants, soft sand substrate, a couple chunks of bogwood, and a group of say 12 of one of the Boraras species of dwarf rasbora, or 12 Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), along with 12-15 Corydoras pygmaeus (the smallest cory).
Yes! I have been looking at the chilli rasbora and assumed that this would be all I could have - but the tiny corys would be ok in there too? That would be lovely!
I already have 6 very thriving cherry shrimp in there - should have mentioned that...

Yes! I have been looking at the chilli rasbora and assumed that this would be all I could have - but the tiny corys would be ok in there too? That would be lovely!
I already have 6 very thriving cherry shrimp in there - should have mentioned that...

Yes to all this. I am not familiar with various shrimp so I cannot say they might or might not get eaten at least when hatched babies, but certainly no problem with the numbers of fish and shrimp.

Hatched baby shrimp will be healthy fresh food for my new brood of rasboras and tiny corys! Thanks for your help - I've been going back and forth for days on this. :)

@Byron, I ended up getting 6 x Boraras urophthalmoides and 3 pygmy corys to accompany my 6 cherry shrimp :D Thank you for all your advice - they'll look great.
The fish (bought this morning) are all in a quarantine tank and I'd forgotten that corys shoot up to breathe the air - that was a surprise.
Can't wait to get them all into their new home!

Don't forget that Byron said (my red highlighting)
a group of say 12 of one of the Boraras species .......... along with 12-15 Corydoras pygmaeus

These fish need to be in large groups so I would get more of them both.

Don't forget that Byron said (my red highlighting)

These fish need to be in large groups so I would get more of them both.
The LFS was concerned that the 34L wouldn't be large enough :(

The LFS was concerned that the 34L wouldn't be large enough :(

It is plenty large enough. You cannot listen to what fish store employees advise. Clearly the individual here does not understand the needs of shoaling fish.

In groups of even five, both of these fish will be stressed, compared to a group of ten. This is proven scientific fact. So a group of 10 means healthier fish. If you do not want to see the fish getting stressed out and sick then increase the groups ASAP. This is extremely important.

Most reactions

trending

Back