Should I Leave The Carbon In My Filter?

Mauricia

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I didn't realize my filter had a carbon insert and I left it in, should I just leave it now? I don't want to remove the bacteria that I assume is on it now, as the tank is cycled. Doesn't the carbon become ineffective after 48 hours anyway? So is it like regular filter media now, or do I need to replace it?
 
So I didn't realize my filter had a carbon insert and I left it in, should I just leave it now? I don't want to remove the bacteria that I assume is on it now, as the tank is cycled. Doesn't the carbon become ineffective after 48 hours anyway? So is it like regular filter media now, or do I need to replace it?


some people believe that it can leak bact chemicals into the tank, i personally have never had that problem. if you want to be certain, you could cut a small hold and shake out the carbon, that way you still have the bacteria from on the mesh itself. also as it might take a few minutes to get all the carbon out, i would suggest shaking it out in a bucket of tank water to keep it wet.
 
I have canister filters w/carbon pads. The pads were given to me free so I'm using them. They can help clear the water, but if you need to treat the tank for any disease the carbon will pull the meds out of the water. You're supposed to replace it every so often and tbh I don't know when that is...lol. If it's in the beginning of the filter it can get lots of debris stuck on it that should be cleaned out every now and then. If this is the case when you do a water change save a bucket of water and swish it around in that to knock off the debris(the bacteria has a good hold so don't worry so much about that.) But if your tanks been established for awhile and you have more filter media in your filter you could potentially take it out. In good established tanks bacteria can double in like 24-48 hours :)
 
I have canister filters w/carbon pads. The pads were given to me free so I'm using them. They can help clear the water, but if you need to treat the tank for any disease the carbon will pull the meds out of the water. You're supposed to replace it every so often and tbh I don't know when that is...lol. If it's in the beginning of the filter it can get lots of debris stuck on it that should be cleaned out every now and then. If this is the case when you do a water change save a bucket of water and swish it around in that to knock off the debris(the bacteria has a good hold so don't worry so much about that.) But if your tanks been established for awhile and you have more filter media in your filter you could potentially take it out. In good established tanks bacteria can double in like 24-48 hours :)


carbon is useless after 3 days
 
alright...lol I guess I can switch mine out then as it's been 4 months or so :)

I'm only using them b/c they were free.
 
if only i had know when i first started... i wasted so much money are carbon but hey at least i found out eventually... and yea 4 month old carbon definately isnt having any affect.
 
lol..mine were given to me when I bought my canister filters

a couple boxes actually

I've had fish for years and years, though. Just always had carbon. I used to use hob filters and they come w/the carbon filter thing to slide in.
 
yea i use hobs still, just cut a slit in the cariage and dumped out the carbon. be running great for several months now.
i wish people would give me free stuff :D
 
it was a family member that I bought it from and he gave ALL his filter media for the eheims. I had no idea he had so much and wouldn't take any extra $ for it. I tried to give him more and he wouldn't take it. He had tons of the white filter floss, carbon, efimech and efisubstrate...or whatever the stuff is called. you prob. know what I'm talking about!

It was the big boxes also. Like 4 or 5 of each for the mech AND substrate...and he refused to take more $.

That crap is REALLY expensive stuff :crazy:
 
yea thats awesome... all my family members look at me like im crazy when i even utter the word fish lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top