Should I Get This Tank?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
SO I really want a larger second tank. I have a baby on the way she is due this week. So I am not going to have time for a new tank at the moment. Yet I always look on Craigslist for good deals on tanks. I want a 50 Gal or bigger.

There is this one post I always see. The person seems desperate to sell and I am sure I could get him to lower the price.

He says 60 or 80 Gal I'm pretty sure it's an 60 gal. What do you think of corner tanks. Would it be better to hold out for a large rectangle tank because they have more surface area?
Here is the tank.
http://reno.craigslist.org/pet/942611469.html
It was used for Reptiles. Thats no big deal right? It means the tank will not have any water spots. :)

What do you think? Good deal or just wait?

Or would something like this be better. They don't say the size it looks like a 50 Gal
http://reno.craigslist.org/hsh/906389808.html
 
SO I really want a larger second tank. I have a baby on the way she is due this week. So I am not going to have time for a new tank at the moment. Yet I always look on Craigslist for good deals on tanks. I want a 50 Gal or bigger.

There is this one post I always see. The person seems desperate to sell and I am sure I could get him to lower the price.

He says 60 or 80 Gal I'm pretty sure it's an 60 gal. What do you think of corner tanks. Would it be better to hold out for a large rectangle tank because they have more surface area?
Here is the tank.
[URL="http://reno.craigslist.org/pet/942611469.html"]http://reno.craigslist.org/pet/942611469.html[/URL]

It was used for Reptiles. Thats no big deal right? It means the tank will not have any water spots. :)

What do you think? Good deal or just wait?

it depends on what u wanna keep in it?
u any ideas?
 
Yeah it does always seem to depend on what fish you want to keep. Well I love Plecos as you might know. I would like to move my Bn to a larger tank when I get one. I also love the New world Cichlids. But I don't want any fish that are too big like Oscars.

So I am thinking My BN and a rubber nose Pleco.
A school of something no bigger then 2 inches. I am not sure what.
I would like to move my Keyholes to the larger tank.
OR get new fish instead like Bolivian rams or some type different type of dwarf NW Cichlids.
maybe a little school of pepper Cory cats they are fun and cute.

And plants. I want this tank to be a fully planted tank with lots of natural rock caves and bogwood .
 
If it were me, Id wait, your going to have a lot going on in the next few months, with a new baby, xmas etc, worrying about fish, cycling is the last thing you need right now. Let life settle down, get the baby into a routine, then start to think about if you have time/money for new tanks and fish.

Im not trying to put you off, but young babies can turn your life upside down (mother of 3 talking here :rolleyes: ).

Hope the birth goes well and take care of yourself and kids 1st. :)
 
Agree minxfishy: the amount of free time is going to seriously be drained.

However, also, you need to think about corner tanks less in terms of volume of water and more in terms of lengths.

The tank may have enough volume of water for things such as new world cichlids, but remember that they are agressive in terms of "line of sight". If they can see each other, then they will fight or show who's boss. Its a lot easier in a long tank to position plants and rocks so that the fish will be distracted from seeing their "oposition" and getting cranky.

Think it would be good to get a few of the dwarf species, maybe 3 keyhole cichlids and keep to fairly small fishies. Maybe a group of small tetra that will make the small cichlids appear bigger.
 
I know my usual LFS which sells second-hand aquarium equipment sells aquariums which are NOT watertight as reptile homes.
This might be something to bear in mind, as it's a common practice out here, and you don't need to buy a large, leaky tank.
And it might be why that tank hasn't sold yet.
 
When it comes to a choice, a straight line type tank is much easier to fit with good lighting for plants. It seems both are without a hood so you will be doing something custom for the lighting and the 55 looks a lot easier to do. Another caution is about reptile tanks. Some companies in the US are making tanks specifically for reptiles and the ones I have seen have thinner glass than you would find in a fish tank. I certainly can't tell from here but it is something you should keep in mind.
 
If it were me, Id wait, your going to have a lot going on in the next few months, with a new baby, xmas etc, worrying about fish, cycling is the last thing you need right now. Let life settle down, get the baby into a routine, then start to think about if you have time/money for new tanks and fish.

Im not trying to put you off, but young babies can turn your life upside down (mother of 3 talking here :rolleyes: ).

Hope the birth goes well and take care of yourself and kids 1st. :)


I know that's why I said I would not be setting it up any time soon. I am just looking for a deal. if I find a good one I don't want to pass it up. because in a year or so I am going to set up a bigger tank. I am not looking to do it now I am not that crazy don't worry.

Agree minxfishy: the amount of free time is going to seriously be drained.

However, also, you need to think about corner tanks less in terms of volume of water and more in terms of lengths.

The tank may have enough volume of water for things such as new world cichlids, but remember that they are agressive in terms of "line of sight". If they can see each other, then they will fight or show who's boss. Its a lot easier in a long tank to position plants and rocks so that the fish will be distracted from seeing their "oposition" and getting cranky.

Think it would be good to get a few of the dwarf species, maybe 3 keyhole cichlids and keep to fairly small fishies. Maybe a group of small tetra that will make the small cichlids appear bigger.


Good point about the line of sight you are so right about that. I will forget about that tank and keep looking. I have plenty of time I am not looking to set up a new tank for a while.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top