Should I get get panda garra’s?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

All plants will grow well in sand, as well as any substrate material. Large rooted plants like swords do benefit from substrate tabs, but most (all) plants use nutrients from the water column via their leaves and roots. Some nutrients are taken up through leaves, other through roots. I was convinced by others on another forum to do a tank with a plant substrate, I had black Flourite...bad idea. My cories had to be removed within the first week due to serious barbel and mouth problems from the sharpness and likely bacteria too. The plants did well, but they did as well in the tank with a play sand substrate. After two years I tossed the Flourite in the back garden as a total waste of money.

Rummyniose need largish groups, they are probably the best "schooling" freshwater fish. I would not go under 15. But this fish needs room to swim...what is the length of this tank?
The 100L tank (LxWxH) 68x35x48

The 100L tank (LxWxH) 68x35x48

Assume that is in centimeters. That's pushing it for rummys, but as you already have some, they might as well be made happy with more of them. Make sure they can swim around the tank. I always think this fish is enamored to swim relays constantly all day. This is in this species' case not a sign of boredom, but their inherent nature. They are quite active in their habitats too.

Assume that is in centimeters. That's pushing it for rummys, but as you already have some, they might as well be made happy with more of them. Make sure they can swim around the tank. I always think this fish is enamored to swim relays constantly all day. This is in this species' case not a sign of boredom, but their inherent nature. They are quite active in their habitats too.
They love the filter side of the tank and they swim as a group. I wouldn’t mind buying 6 more. I might rehome the bristle nose because it produces a lot of poop and eats the kribenses food and never cleans the tank.

I might also move the otocinclus if I do move the corys to the 30L because I would use the water the otocinclus are already in (100L)

is this the play sand that people mean

Attachments

• 521C263E-43FB-44F5-B633-9E76336DB70B.jpeg
    521C263E-43FB-44F5-B633-9E76336DB70B.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 26
I think what I’m going to do is remove everything from my 100L tank, move my fish into my quarantine tank for the day and rebuild.

I might also move the otocinclus if I do move the corys to the 30L because I would use the water the otocinclus are already in (100L)
30l is too small for cories, for most fish actually. There is no advantage in using old water, beneficial bacteria do not live in the water column. They live on hard surfaces like the filter media and substrate.

30l is too small for cories, for most fish actually. There is no advantage in using old water, beneficial bacteria do not live in the water column. They live on hard surfaces like the filter media and substrate.
I’m going to use my 100l and just remodel it, so taking out the soil substrate and using the Argos play sand along with some live plants. I might also try my luck with some floater plants because my fish like hiding and it may be due to my lighting intensity. I’m going to remove my bristle nosed pleco and otocinclus because the pleco isn’t helping my tank and the Otos aren’t living their best life. I’m going to increase my shoal of 9 rummy nose tetras to 15 and increase the amount of endlers I have from 1 male to 4 males and 0 females 3 females I’m going to get rid of my dragon stone and wood and replace it with something more fitting. I going to get multiple live plants for my fish to have cover in and make some caves with a particular stone (haven’t decided which one) and superglue it together with fish safe gorilla glue. I would love some help on what sand substrate the corys would like and what plants (floating and planted) will work in a sand only substrate (I would be happy to buy root tabs and/or liquid fertiliser). I would also like to know if I’m overloading my tank with 2 kribensis, 15 rummy nose tetra, 7 endler guppies and 6 bronze corydoras. I would also like to now if my remodel is a viable plan. Thanks for all your input and suggestions

I'm just going to comment on the stone. :) Slate is awesome for making structures and caves and can, sometimes, be gotten for next to free by going to a hardware store with a garden center and asking if they have any broken slate they want to get rid of. Slate is a great stone for an aquarium as, if not totally, is close to being inert so will not have any affect on water parameters.

The only problem with getting broken slate is that it will have some sharp edges but this can easily be solved by the use of coarse sandpaper or even an emery board. Just use to remove the sharpness. It really does not take a lot of work as you just need to make the edges so they don't feel sharp when you run your finger over.

I’m going to use my 100l and just remodel it, so taking out the soil substrate and using the Argos play sand along with some live plants. I might also try my luck with some floater plants because my fish like hiding and it may be due to my lighting intensity. I’m going to remove my bristle nosed pleco and otocinclus because the pleco isn’t helping my tank and the Otos aren’t living their best life. I’m going to increase my shoal of 9 rummy nose tetras to 15 and increase the amount of endlers I have from 1 male to 4 males and 0 females 3 females I’m going to get rid of my dragon stone and wood and replace it with something more fitting. I going to get multiple live plants for my fish to have cover in and make some caves with a particular stone (haven’t decided which one) and superglue it together with fish safe gorilla glue. I would love some help on what sand substrate the corys would like and what plants (floating and planted) will work in a sand only substrate (I would be happy to buy root tabs and/or liquid fertiliser). I would also like to know if I’m overloading my tank with 2 kribensis, 15 rummy nose tetra, 7 endler guppies and 6 bronze corydoras. I would also like to now if my remodel is a viable plan. Thanks for all your input and suggestions

Why remove tyhe wood. This is the most natural hardscape in many tropical watercourses, and the cories do extremely well with lots of wood, and there is less change of problems with barbels from stone.

Argos Play Sand is fish-safe. Cories will love it. As I said previously, any plant that is rooted in the substrate will do well in sand. As for root tabs (for large rooted plants) I recommend Seachem's Flourish Tabs. Some other brands are not as safe, but these are. For liquid, as you are in the UK, look for TNC Lite. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is very similar, I don't know the cost difference in the UK, but the TNC Lite would be my choice because it contains no phosphates and no nitrates, so healthier for the fish and better for the plants. All of these are complete, nothing else is needed. You have hard water in London so calcium and magnesium are well supplied already.

For floating, good idea as most of the fish we keep are forest fish and have shade. They do get more colourful with floaters. Substantial plants like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit, some stem plants like Moneywort left floating, all work.

Last edited:
I did
I'm just going to comment on the stone. :) Slate is awesome for making structures and caves and can, sometimes, be gotten for next to free by going to a hardware store with a garden center and asking if they have any broken slate they want to get rid of. Slate is a great stone for an aquarium as, if not totally, is close to being inert so will not have any affect on water parameters.

The only problem with getting broken slate is that it will have some sharp edges but this can easily be solved by the use of coarse sandpaper or even an emery board. Just use to remove the sharpness. It really does not take a lot of work as you just need to make the edges so they don't feel sharp when you run your finger over.
I didn’t think of slate, I though smooth pebble/river rocks because I think they could become a very natural cave and the corys won’t hurt themselves on it. That a good suggestion thanks

Why remove tyhe wood. This is the most natural hardscape in many tropical watercourses, and the cories do extremely well with lots of wood, and there is less change of problems with barbels from stone.

Argos Play Sand is fish-safe. Cories will love it. As I said previously, any plant that is rooted in the substrate will do well in sand. As for root tabs (for large rooted plants) I recommend Seachem's Flourish Tabs. Some other brands are not as safe, but these are. For liquid, as you are in the UK, look for TNC Lite. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is very similar, I don't know the cost difference in the UK, but the TNC Lite would be my choice because it contains no phosphates and no nitrates, so healthier for the fish and better for the plants. All of these are complete, nothing else is needed. You have hard water in London so calcium and magnesium are well supplied already.

For floating, good idea as most of the fish we keep are forest fish and have shade. They do get more colourful with floaters. Substantial plants like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit, some stem plants like Moneywort left floating, all work.
Slight misunderstanding, I am not getting rid of wood I am just getting a new piece of manzanita wood that fits the tank better. The piece I have is to tall and thin, I want a lond and thick piece of wood with multiple hiding areas in and around it. Sorry for the confusion

I think I’m going to get the root tabs and liquid fertiliser along with frog bit. Watching a care video they said frog bit likes slow moving water. Should I get a new filter like a sponge filter or keep the filter I have? I looked at canister filters but a 100L (25G) tank doesn’t need a canister filter

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back