Should I Get Another Frog? & Food Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys, 

As some of you may know one of my African Dwarf Frogs died a few weeks ago, he got kinda bloated looking one night and then the next day he was gone. I'm not sure why that happened as my other frog and my betta are both fine. (more info here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/435706-one-of-my-african-dwarf-frogs-died/) 

Anyways, I was wondering should I get another frog to go with Ginger (my female ADF, my male that died was named Ale)? She seems to be doing fine without the company of another frog, but I'm still worried about her getting stressed out or lonely without another of her own species. 

My other question is in regards to her food. Currently her feeding schedule is every 2-3 days she gets 3 defrosted blood worms fed to her by hand with tweezers, and on days in between I put 5 or so Zoo Med Aquatic Frog and Tadpole micro pellets in the tank near her after soaking them in tank water for a few minutes. My problem with this is, my betta, Rainbow has learned that there is food on the bottom of the tank and spends some of her time looking for it, usually resulting with her finding some. So, should I continue to feed pellets in this way in the hopes that she gets some, or should I find another frozen food to feed to her instead? I want to make sure she has variety in her diet. 

Ok, I lied I have one more question, haha. Sometimes, Ginger likes to munch on the plants in my tank (Java moss, Java Fern and Anubias), mainly on the random little bits of java moss that break off and float around. Usually she chews on it and spits it out but sometimes she swallows it, will this harm her in any way? I'm guessing no, as she's been doing it since I got her (mid August), but I just wanted to make sure. 

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that the tank is 10 gallons, is cycled (fishless), is heated to 78-80F, is filtered, and has a .06 watt LED light. 

THANKS! 

Ginger.jpg
A picture of my little lady
smile.png

I didnt know ADFs are so small! Very tiny meeny! That is an Anubias Nana right?

Are there any Albino ADFs?

Haha ya she is tiny :D And I'm not sure, but that would be pretty cool!

Yea they usually call albino ones blonde ADF or just albino, more rare though.

There is also african clawed frogs which get much larger but need cold water environments.

As regards to feeding i couldnt help you much, i can say i have seen some fat ADF though. 

I would imagine ginger eating plants will be no issue.

Thanks for your reply, I figured her eating the plants wouldn't hurt but I guess I just wanted to hear (or read haha) another person's opinion. 

I decided to go ahead and buy a pack of frozen brine shrimp to feed her along with the blood worms. I just defrosted a few and fed them to her now and she LOVED them (and my betta did too). I didn't realize how tiny brine shrimp were before hand.  I'm thinking I'll alternate the blood worms and the brine shrimp and then have a fasting day to let their digestive systems take a rest. 

I am an african dwarf frog addict. I have 8 in a 29 gallon tank. I feed mine various frozen foods. They enjoy plankton, chopped up krill,mysys shrimp, brine shrimp, a mixture of daphnia watercrest bloodworm and other. I also feed them frozen turtle food which isa mixture if greens and proteins. The females all look fat andmy older ones are 3 inches at least but they are all over 3 years old. They have successfully breed and 2 of the tadpoles have made it to adulthood. They grow really fast. I would get another one or two if I was you as they really seem to enjoy froggy company. Good luck with with Ginger and any future ones you get:)

Your tank sounds awesome! I am so surprised with how much I love Ginger, she is such a great little pet. 

Your guys enjoy a lot of foods! I may look into the frozen turtle food next time I'm at the pet store. 

Once I get my tank situation all figured out I'll definetly get a few more...I had to split my 10 gallon in half due to Ginger nipping at my Betta, so Ginger plus the 2 I want to get would have 5 gallons to themselves. 

I noticed you said you had a male and a female I have been wanting to get my female ADF a friend but I want to be able to tell them apart but I'm worried if I get a female I won't be able to and if I get a male I'll have way to many froggies any advice?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back