Should I get a gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The question: Should I get a gourami?
It depends on your water parameters. But looking at your setup I'd say probably not. Gouramis are known for sometimes being aggressive. They also are bothered by numerous health problems

The question: Should I get a gourami?
It depends on your water parameters. But looking at your setup I'd say probably not. Gouramis are known for sometimes being aggressive. They also are bothered by numerous health problems
You mean the dwarf gourami? It has already been mentioned ;)

I wouldn't do even the Nanos with the tall shape. Theyre schoolers and like the length to be long, which your tank doesn't offer. Plus the tetras and rasboras in the nano groups need softer water than what you got.

However, I would have recommended some of the pseudomugil rainbows, but again your tank shape does not allow for this.

If you got a longer tank, it would be more forgiving in allowing other stock options

I know you were looking into fish but Mystery snails are really inserting. They're surprisingly fast and active. They can be quite entertaining to watch. I just feed mine algae wafers and sometimes some sinking shrimp pellets.
That might be good, do they eat brown algae cuz I have a ton of that haha

I wouldn't do even the Nanos with the tall shape. Theyre schoolers and like the length to be long, which your tank doesn't offer. Plus the tetras and rasboras in the nano groups need softer water than what you got.

However, I would have recommended some of the pseudomugil rainbows, but again your tank shape does not allow for this.

If you got a longer tank, it would be more forgiving in allowing other stock options
I’m starting to regret my tank style, although it’s all I could fit in my room ):

I’m starting to regret my tank style, although it’s all I could fit in my room ):

The water parameters are actually working more against you than the tank size/shape. And the guppies do limit some options as well. Everything can factor in.

The water parameters are actually working more against you than the tank size/shape. And the guppies do limit some options as well. Everything can factor in.
If I could soften the water would that help? I recently added some driftwood that should help with that. And I’ve noticed that too, was looking at skirt tetras until I saw that they can eat guppies. I’m attached to the little dudes though ):

I also called the water company and hardness converted is 200ppm. Which I read can be slightly hard - hard but mines in the middle. Does that help at all?

GH at 200 ppm is equivalent to 11 dGH. This is moderately hard water. Livebearers would be OK in this water (the guppies are fine), but other species need more room. Livebearers also tend to be primarily upper water fish, which leaves the lower half of the tank empty of fish.

Fish suited to smaller tanks are termed nano fish. The unfortunate thing is there are more soft water nano species than harder water. The Glowlight Danio (Danio choprae) could work here, in a group of 9-10. I might find some others with some digging.

Be carefuyl with fish common names though. "Danio" generally are unsuited here because they are very active and need space. The Glowlight Danio is an exception on both counts.

Softening water is obviously possible, but it is a convoluted process, and you need to prepare the water outside the tank for every water change. Finding fish suited to the tap water parameters is always safer and easier.

GH at 200 ppm is equivalent to 11 dGH. This is moderately hard water. Livebearers would be OK in this water (the guppies are fine), but other species need more room. Livebearers also tend to be primarily upper water fish, which leaves the lower half of the tank empty of fish.

Fish suited to smaller tanks are termed nano fish. The unfortunate thing is there are more soft water nano species than harder water. The Glowlight Danio (Danio choprae) could work here, in a group of 9-10. I might find some others with some digging.

Be carefuyl with fish common names though. "Danio" generally are unsuited here because they are very active and need space. The Glowlight Danio is an exception on both counts.

Softening water is obviously possible, but it is a convoluted process, and you need to prepare the water outside the tank for every water change. Finding fish suited to the tap water parameters is always safer and easier.
Thank you!! I’ll look into hard water nano fish

Update! Got a female koi betta and some white clouds :) decided that’s what would work best for me and talked to a few really knowledgeable fish keepers who also told me any gourami would be hard in my tank

But, bettas need soft water, don't tend to do well with guppies, and do better in horizontal tanks...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back