Should I get a gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@NCaquatics

I know what you are talking about.
Those 7 white clouds I have were raised from eggs in my lfs and they always were fine hotter temperatures.
I know that their metabolism gets high and shortens their lives.
The problem is, you are recommending another fishkeeper to keep them longterm at hot temperatures, ignoring the consequences. Especially to a new fishkeeper who is being fed a lot of conflicting information. This is confusing to new people.

The problem is, you are recommending another fishkeeper to keep them longterm at hot temperatures, ignoring the consequences. Especially to a new fishkeeper who is being fed a lot of conflicting information. This is confusing to new people.
No no no lol. My bad here, I was saying that they will be fine for short term in these high temperatures. Like in my situation, in UK was a heat wave (another one coming I think) and they were fine as the heat wave wasn't on for long. Do you think they would be fine in 25 C? Thanks

Woke up to lots of info haha. I know my water is on the warmer side for all my fish so I think I’ll drop it to a good middle temp that should suit all my fish better. I’m thinking 74 or 76?

Woke up to lots of info haha. I know my water is on the warmer side for all my fish so I think I’ll drop it to a good middle temp that should suit all my fish better. I’m thinking 74 or 76?

Can you tell us the fish species now, and numbers of each? I went back through this thread but so many different and non-compatible fish have been mentioned, we need to pin this down before we can comment on temperature, etc.

Can you tell us the fish species now, and numbers of each? I went back through this thread but so many different and non-compatible fish have been mentioned, we need to pin this down before we can comment on temperature, etc.
1 female betta splendens, some guppies, and some white cloud mountain minnows. Not sure on numbers.

1 female betta splendens, some guppies, and some white cloud mountain minnows. Not sure on numbers.
And yes I apologize about the betta someone had mentioned it earlier and the minnows I was told would do good in my small tank and the guy said only to beware about betta diseases not tank temp

And yes I apologize about the betta someone had mentioned it earlier and the minnows I was told would do good in my small tank and the guy said only to beware about betta diseases not tank temp

OK, so I will only answer your question about temperature for these fish being in the same tank, not thereby giving my agreement to the combo because theree are problems I'm afraid. But the temp around 76-77F/24-25C is best. This is the temp if you can control it, i.e., with the tank heater on cool days. Increases due to summer heat waves are temporary and best left alone.

OK, so I will only answer your question about temperature for these fish being in the same tank, not thereby giving my agreement to the combo because theree are problems I'm afraid. But the temp around 76-77F/24-25C is best. This is the temp if you can control it, i.e., with the tank heater on cool days. Increases due to summer heat waves are temporary and best left alone.
Yeah again I’m in Arizona so it’s 103 today but my house is at a good 76 so I think I’ll be able to make that work! And again sorry about the combo I’ve gotten so many suggestions and it’s hard since I am newer ):

Yeah again I’m in Arizona so it’s 103 today but my house is at a good 76 so I think I’ll be able to make that work! And again sorry about the combo I’ve gotten so many suggestions and it’s hard since I am newer ):

All of us went through this. When I think of the dozens if not hundreds of fish I killed when I started out in the 1960's, due to bad advice and no internet in those days... .

All of us went through this. When I think of the dozens if not hundreds of fish I killed when I started out in the 1960's, due to bad advice and no internet in those days... .
Hopefully I don’t kill them! Trying my best to make their lives the best I can :)

Yeah, I definitely have the blood of a few fish on my hands.
When I started my first aquarium, I was told to just run it for 24 hours and then put in fish. I did that, and of course fish started dying. When I asked why, I was told that was normal and they would stop dying eventually.
I ended up putting 5 guppies, 3 red-eyed balloon belly tetras, and two otocinclus in a 10 gallon tank that was not cycled. Luckily for the tetras, they were all returned after a few days because they were attacking the guppies.
Because so many fish were dying, I asked the owner of my local aquarium store what fish are hardy, and she said I should get tiger barbs. I'm really happy I didn't actually end up getting them, because that would have been an absolute blood bath with my guppies.
There were so many times where I just wanted to return the fish and get rid of the tank, but I stuck with it and now I know better. If I would have found this forum earlier, things would definitely have gone better. But, at least I can help other people figure things out much quicker than I did, and with a lot less death.

Yeah, I definitely have the blood of a few fish on my hands.
When I started my first aquarium, I was told to just run it for 24 hours and then put in fish. I did that, and of course fish started dying. When I asked why, I was told that was normal and they would stop dying eventually.
I ended up putting 5 guppies, 3 red-eyed balloon belly tetras, and two otocinclus in a 10 gallon tank that was not cycled. Luckily for the tetras, they were all returned after a few days because they were attacking the guppies.
Because so many fish were dying, I asked the owner of my local aquarium store what fish are hardy, and she said I should get tiger barbs. I'm really happy I didn't actually end up getting them, because that would have been an absolute blood bath with my guppies.
There were so many times where I just wanted to return the fish and get rid of the tank, but I stuck with it and now I know better. If I would have found this forum earlier, things would definitely have gone better. But, at least I can help other people figure things out much quicker than I did, and with a lot less death.
Well I can say I appreciate your help a lot :)

We have all the been there. I was told run the filter on our 10g for a week, then add fish.

A sailfin molly, a rubber lip pleco, a betta, and a dwarf gourami were our first fish in that uncycled tank. We learned the hard way as well. We no longer have the betta or the pleco. The pleco was a victim of the uneducated decision to listen to the petstore worker. The betta died of dropsy within a few months. We also lost harlequin rasboras as well which the store sold us after the pleco!

We all want you to have the best success, so much of what we say is based off of our own heartache.

Most reactions

Back