Should I get a gourami?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RenC

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! I currently have 4 guppies in a 15 gallon tank. I want to get a dwarf Gourami and afterwards add a couple otocinclus. Are these a good match? I’ve read that they are but I wanted some advice :) here is my tank as well (planning on adding floating plants)
2F106025-4873-41F2-BDDB-9A22BD2ACDF7.jpeg

I personally wouldn't do dwarf gourami. They can be a little on the aggressive side and are known for health issues. A better substitute for a gourami would be honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna). Very peaceful and are not prone to health issues, unlike dwarf gourami.

I personally wouldn't do dwarf gourami. They can be a little on the aggressive side and are known for health issues. A better substitute for a gourami would be honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna). Very peaceful and are not prone to health issues, unlike dwarf gourami.
Would one fit in my tank okay?

Yeah, honey are much more docile. A dwarf is hit or miss. May like the guppies or may kill them. No one can say for sure lol

I’m honestly just looking for cool fish that will go well with my guppies and tank size so if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it :)

I think if you wanted a group you would need a tank with a larger footprint, column tanks limit your options for fish by quite a lot

I think if you wanted a group you would need a tank with a larger footprint, column tanks limit your options for fish by quite a lot
I know ): do you have any suggestions on tank mates for my guppies?

First thing we need to know is water parameters, namely GH and pH, for the tap water.

Leaving that for the moment, I would not suggest gourami with guppies; these fish remain in the upper half of the tank and it would be better to find something for the lower areas. Otos are in the same boat here, and might be subject to nips from guppies. Once we have the GH and pH we can better suggest suitable fish.

First thing we need to know is water parameters, namely GH and pH, for the tap water.

Leaving that for the moment, I would not suggest gourami with guppies; these fish remain in the upper half of the tank and it would be better to find something for the lower areas. Otos are in the same boat here, and might be subject to nips from guppies. Once we have the GH and pH we can better suggest suitable fish.
Ph is 7.6 and hardness is 11

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back