Should I get a gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

11 dGH or 11ppm? I suppose your water is too soft for any livebearers.

Yeah, that seems way too soft for livebearers. A gourami would actually do good in that water, but the guppies won't do very well. You could either try do raise the hardness of the water, or replace the guppies with fish that live in softer water.

We need confirmation of the GH, I would tend to think this may be dGH with a basic pH, but then maybe not. We need to know, as ity makes a huge difference between 11 ppm (very very soft) or 11 dGH (moderately hard).

We need confirmation of the GH, I would tend to think this may be dGH with a basic pH, but then maybe not. We need to know, as ity makes a huge difference between 11 ppm (very very soft) or 11 dGH (moderately hard).
It may be softer than usual as I have medication in there and lots of conditioner as I was treating bacterial infection, but my ph is 7.6 and the dGH is 11. It’s been higher before though as where I live has hard water

Yeah, that seems way too soft for livebearers. A gourami would actually do good in that water, but the guppies won't do very well. You could either try do raise the hardness of the water, or replace the guppies with fish that live in softer water.
Sorry it’s definitely not too soft! I read it incorrectly as last time I got my water professionally tested they said it was a little too hard.

OK, this is sorted out, GH 11 dGH is moderately hard, though these terms are subjective...like the "said it was a little too hard"...little too hard for what I wonder?

OK, this is sorted out, GH 11 dGH is moderately hard, though these terms are subjective...like the "said it was a little too hard"...little too hard for what I wonder?
I’m not quite sure, he just told me to add more water conditioner. For reference I live in Mesa Arizona where the ppm of tap water is “Water hardness in Mesa ranges from 12 gpg (grains per gallon) to 22 gpg” so my water is definitely hard

I’m not quite sure, he just told me to add more water conditioner. For reference I live in Mesa Arizona where the ppm of tap water is “Water hardness in Mesa ranges from 12 gpg (grains per gallon) to 22 gpg” so my water is definitely hard
*gpg sorry I keep confusing them

Water conditioner does not impact GH or pH. It detoxifies chlorine, chloramine, and usually heavy metals. Some brands may deal with ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the source water initially, but not permanently.

There is never any benefit in using more of any additive than only what is needed to do the job. Fish are impacted by all these chemicals.

I agree with @Crispii . Dwarfs aren't so hot. I've never experienced them being aggressive or maybe it's been so long since I've had them that I just don't remember. But. Health is a concern with them. They have been in the aquarium hobby for many decades now and something happened to them somewhere along the trip. They aren't as hardy or robust as they once were. Poor breeding maybe. The fish that should have been culls were kept and polluted the blood line maybe. I don't know. Some diabolical arch fiend developed the mutant powder puff blue variety too, which is a crime against nature. Some reputable breeder should go on a collecting trip and find some healthy wild fish and start over.

I agree with @Crispii . Dwarfs aren't so hot. I've never experienced them being aggressive or maybe it's been so long since I've had them that I just don't remember. But. Health is a concern with them. They have been in the aquarium hobby for many decades now and something happened to them somewhere along the trip. They aren't as hardy or robust as they once were. Poor breeding maybe. The fish that should have been culls were kept and polluted the blood line maybe. I don't know. Some diabolical arch fiend developed the mutant powder puff blue variety too, which is a crime against nature. Some reputable breeder should go on a collecting trip and find some healthy wild fish and start over.
They are inbred/overbred fish in this hobby which causes the issues with their health issues and how prone they are I believe.

Water conditioner does not impact GH or pH. It detoxifies chlorine, chloramine, and usually heavy metals. Some brands may deal with ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the source water initially, but not permanently.

There is never any benefit in using more of any additive than only what is needed to do the job. Fish are impacted by all these chemicals.
Hm I wonder what he meant then

What about sparkling gourami? Are those any better?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back