Shortening Filter Intake....any Negatives

PaperArrow

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey again,

After reading a few horror stories about filters bursting seals, i have been worrying about my own, it’s a few months old but the last thing i want is it to leak into the kitchen below.

So i was thinking of cutting the intake to shorten it, to strain water from about an inch below the water line. So if the unthinkable did happen it wouldn’t empty the whole tank, and expose everything inside.

Is there any reason why i should not do this? Is there a difference between water above the sand level and below the film on the surface, flow is high as i have a seio m820 and the filter in a 40cm cube.

in the next week i will be adding rowaphos and live rock rubble to the filter, oh while i am on the subject is there anything else i could add to the filter?...live sand perhaps?

Many thanks for any ideas. i have been searching for an answer for a few weeks now on and off.

:thanks:

As long as its under the surface of the water, the depth of the intake will not have much impact on the filters performance. In fact, the shorter intake tube will promote easier waterflow to the inlet and perhaps even increase flowrate through the filter

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back