The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a 60x30 tank, I started it as a planted tank but I'm not really loving it after a couple of months and I think I want to do something I've not done before but always wanted to. The capacity of the tank is small as its an ADA shallow tank so maximum capacity is 30 litres. Water requirements are not an issue as I am switching to RO soon so will be able to mix it specifically for them (fish would only be bought once RO unit is up and running)

I've found a couple of examples around where people have had success in small tanks with Shell Dwellers and I was thinking because of the large foot print compared to volume this tank could be a good candidate for them.

I've found a shop that has great stock of a number of really interesting species. I think Ocelatus "Gold" is currently winning but also interested in Similis and Signatus. I think all three have similar requirements.

My plan would be to have a rocky ridge split the tank in half - space to swim through but enough to break up line of sight. Then put a cluster of shells at either extreme of the tank.

In terms of numbers, I would do a single species for the tank and I am trying to work out how many the tank could accommodate. I'm wondering if I could get away with 2 males and 4 females or if I should go for 1 male and 2 females and let them breed? My intention is not to raise the young but if it becomes really prolific I would be able to home with local stores or potentially expand my number of tanks.

What do you think?

Wills

I have a 60x30 tank, I started it as a planted tank but I'm not really loving it after a couple of months and I think I want to do something I've not done before but always wanted to. The capacity of the tank is small as its an ADA shallow tank so maximum capacity is 30 litres. Water requirements are not an issue as I am switching to RO soon so will be able to mix it specifically for them (fish would only be bought once RO unit is up and running)

I've found a couple of examples around where people have had success in small tanks with Shell Dwellers and I was thinking because of the large foot print compared to volume this tank could be a good candidate for them.

I've found a shop that has great stock of a number of really interesting species. I think Ocelatus "Gold" is currently winning but also interested in Similis and Signatus. I think all three have similar requirements.

My plan would be to have a rocky ridge split the tank in half - space to swim through but enough to break up line of sight. Then put a cluster of shells at either extreme of the tank.

In terms of numbers, I would do a single species for the tank and I am trying to work out how many the tank could accommodate. I'm wondering if I could get away with 2 males and 4 females or if I should go for 1 male and 2 females and let them breed? My intention is not to raise the young but if it becomes really prolific I would be able to home with local stores or potentially expand my number of tanks.

What do you think?

Wills
Hmm well if it was me I'd end up with a tank full of all three species and having to get extra tanks haha. I love the idea and I do know a fair amount about lake tanganyikan cichlids (Purely research so hopefully this helps you) I'd probably go with the lower numbers, breeding is probably inevitable and especially with shell dwelling fish their young might not even be visable because of their small size or because they are hiding in the shells (what I am trying to say is you may get fish out of nowhere either way and with bigger fish numbers theres going to be more fry) to be honest you will probably know alot more information than me on this so I'd say go for it as you will do a good job and shell dwellers are one of the most interesting fish in terms of behaviours and to watch in general :)

Hmm well if it was me I'd end up with a tank full of all three species and having to get extra tanks haha. I love the idea and I do know a fair amount about lake tanganyikan cichlids (Purely research so hopefully this helps you) I'd probably go with the lower numbers, breeding is probably inevitable and especially with shell dwelling fish their young might not even be visable because of their small size or because they are hiding in the shells (what I am trying to say is you may get fish out of nowhere either way and with bigger fish numbers theres going to be more fry) to be honest you will probably know alot more information than me on this so I'd say go for it as you will do a good job and shell dwellers are one of the most interesting fish in terms of behaviours and to watch in general :)
Yeah you are right :) trio it is! Just need to decide which one think its going to be the Ocelatus Gold.

Really getting into Tangs at the moment. Africans have not been something I've been attracted to in the past but starting to turn my head a bit. Don't understand some of the other types of Africans and I dont like the way some of them are (in my ignorant mind) just hybrids but I like that Tangs are specific species and remind me most of Americans and if I were to get a big tank for them things like Tropheus and Frontosa are awesome :) But I really like a lot of the smaller species too.

Wills

When I returned to fishkeeping about a year back and joined this place everyone seemed to be pushing me at shelldwellers once my water results were known.
They didn’t appeal tbh but now I’ve seen them in my local MA I quite like the idea.
Nowt else to add but “go for it” as we used to say back in the 80s.

Some of them are pretty drab looking but some are really quite striking there is one a bit too big and I’ve forgotten the name but would be perfect for a 20g it’s a white body with bright yellow dorsal fin and almost looks marine like. The ocelatus gold is pretty stunning too especially for their small size. Lot of bang for your buck as to say.

Going to be a while before I’m ready but hoping for it to marry up with the loosening of uk lockdown so I can travel a little.

Some of them are pretty drab looking but some are really quite striking there is one a bit too big and I’ve forgotten the name but would be perfect for a 20g it’s a white body with bright yellow dorsal fin and almost looks marine like.
Are you thinking of Neolamprologus caudopunctatus? Just a guess. I think that one is not an obligate shell dweller, but it looks very cool!
The ocelatus gold is pretty stunning too especially for their small size. Lot of bang for your buck as to say.
My understanding of these is they can be quite aggressive compared with other shell dwellers. Enough that they will bite hands cleaning the glass - and can make you bleed. You don't get the same colony breeding effect as with something like multis. But if you are thinking trio anyhow, you should be fine. Again, this is as I understand it currently.

Sounds like a great project whichever way you go!

Are you thinking of Neolamprologus caudopunctatus? Just a guess. I think that one is not an obligate shell dweller, but it looks very cool!

My understanding of these is they can be quite aggressive compared with other shell dwellers. Enough that they will bite hands cleaning the glass - and can make you bleed. You don't get the same colony breeding effect as with something like multis. But if you are thinking trio anyhow, you should be fine. Again, this is as I understand it currently.

Sounds like a great project whichever way you go!
Yes that’s them look amazing just a bit too big for this tank.

I’ve read the same about the Ocelatus being a bit more aggressive the way things are going though if I really get into it I think bigger tanks are on the horizon but this this 2 foot tank could be cool for a while.

Really excited about this now!

Yeah you are right :) trio it is! Just need to decide which one think its going to be the Ocelatus Gold.

Really getting into Tangs at the moment. Africans have not been something I've been attracted to in the past but starting to turn my head a bit. Don't understand some of the other types of Africans and I dont like the way some of them are (in my ignorant mind) just hybrids but I like that Tangs are specific species and remind me most of Americans and if I were to get a big tank for them things like Tropheus and Frontosa are awesome :) But I really like a lot of the smaller species too.

Wills
Please send me a few pictures once the tank has been set up! I am really excited for you and I've never really truly understood lake malawi cichlids in all honesty apart from peacocks but lake tanganyika in my opinion is just full of different personalities and every cichlid from tanganyika seems to have different behaviours and looks which really facinates me :) It's going to be so cool seeing you're shell dwellers journeys and I hope we can all help out in whatever aspect you need!

Please send me a few pictures once the tank has been set up! I am really excited for you and I've never really truly understood lake malawi cichlids in all honesty apart from peacocks but lake tanganyika in my opinion is just full of different personalities and every cichlid from tanganyika seems to have different behaviours and looks which really facinates me :) It's going to be so cool seeing you're shell dwellers journeys and I hope we can all help out in whatever aspect you need!
Thats so nice thankyou :) looking forward to this.

I'm going to go to the store on the weekend of the 25th which is the weekend after the lockdown starts to lift, I imagine the first weekend will be pretty busy. Which gives me 7 weeks, which sounds like a long time but in that time I need to sort the RO out, change the scape and could probably do to train the filter a bit more, it is cycling because of the soil and the dead or dieing plants at the moment but will need to keep it alive with ammonia for a while too.

Wills

Thats so nice thankyou :) looking forward to this.

I'm going to go to the store on the weekend of the 25th which is the weekend after the lockdown starts to lift, I imagine the first weekend will be pretty busy. Which gives me 7 weeks, which sounds like a long time but in that time I need to sort the RO out, change the scape and could probably do to train the filter a bit more, it is cycling because of the soil and the dead or dieing plants at the moment but will need to keep it alive with ammonia for a while too.

Wills
Absolutely no worries at all! So am I aswell in all honesty ?

Are you going to wharf? (the place I should never go as I'll walk away with the entire american cichlid section) and I'm sure all will be fine by the 25th, especially if you already have the tank going or at least have thee equipment then that should be more than enough time for three little cichlids (to be honest you'd probably be able to get away with adding more females to the mix if you wanted but I will stop putting my impulsive fishkeeping ideas into you're head now hahaha) Have you decided on the species yet? Ahhh this is all so exciting this is why I love the forums haha :)

Watching with interest. Been tempted a few times and always ended up doing something else.

Watching with interest. Been tempted a few times and always ended up doing something else.
The more I read about tangs the more I think so many more people should be keeping these. It’s like I’ve struggled with Americans for so long trying to get vivid colours and these just feel like cheating lol

Absolutely no worries at all! So am I aswell in all honesty ?

Are you going to wharf? (the place I should never go as I'll walk away with the entire american cichlid section) and I'm sure all will be fine by the 25th, especially if you already have the tank going or at least have thee equipment then that should be more than enough time for three little cichlids (to be honest you'd probably be able to get away with adding more females to the mix if you wanted but I will stop putting my impulsive fishkeeping ideas into you're head now hahaha) Have you decided on the species yet? Ahhh this is all so exciting this is why I love the forums haha :)
Yep will be wharf can’t wait this is their lost at the moment which is pretty much every shell dwellers which is amazing as I’ve not seen this much choice before.

Lamprologus brevis
Lamprologus caudopunctatus
Lamprologus multifasciatus
Lamprologus ocellatus "Blue"
Lamprologus ocellatus "Gold"
Lamprologus signatus
Lamprologus similis
Lamprologus speciosus

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back