Shape Of Tank[footprint]=stocking

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I know this question of stocking is tireless, but I've always owned what we call a 'long' before, whether it be 1ft or 4ft, it's been a regular rectangular shape

I've never stocked by the rules anyway, i.e. inch per gallon guideline but I am stupidly confused now because I've got this corner tank and wonder if 50 gallons in a long is going to be very much different from 50 gallons in a quarter circle?

None of my fish exceed 2 inches and the longest length is 98cm so it's not really short or anything, but I just curious really as to how the footprinting affects things?
 
It depends on what kind of fish you have.

I know Cichlids would prefer a longer shallower tank, than a shorter taller tank.

-FHM
 
Hi, obviously a quantity of bottom feeders/dwellers like cory etc. will be effected buy a limited footprint
 
larger footprint means bigger surfce area of water which enables more oxygen to enter the water . and of course more swimming space than a deep short tank.
 
So in hindsight do you think there is a vast difference between a 50g long and a 50g corner?
 
It depends on what kind of fish you have.

I know Cichlids would prefer a longer shallower tank, than a shorter taller tank.

-FHM

Yes you are right, replacing a tank always depends on what fish you have. Always consider an extra space where the fish will have room to grow and roam around.
 
Well in terms of roaming space, I have lost about 15 inches off the side but added that to the front lol
They have lost some length and gained some width, sounds like my idea of fun :P
I do trust Juwel though and doubt they would make and sell such a popular tank if it was no good for the fish
I don't have any large cichids other than 2 small angels, my stock is in my sig
 
Well in terms of roaming space, I have lost about 15 inches off the side but added that to the front lol
They have lost some length and gained some width, sounds like my idea of fun :P
I do trust Juwel though and doubt they would make and sell such a popular tank if it was no good for the fish
I don't have any large cichids other than 2 small angels, my stock is in my sig


Lmao, the second line of that made me LOL.
Back on topic, i agree with your verdict on Juwel and having read your stocking list, i personally dont see any problem so would'nt worry about it if i was you.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top