Severe ulcer on goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AnnaG

Reaction score
I purchased a fully grown oranda 8 days ago and she arrived with what I now know to be an ulcer. A week later it’s really bad. I have been given some medication by my LFS it’s called myxazin. I started treatment last night. Is there anything else I can do for her ?

800l aquarium
7 fish including her
She’s in hospital tank now
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.4

Attachments

• 41762C83-58B4-46C1-8E13-FAD55DE53521.jpeg
    41762C83-58B4-46C1-8E13-FAD55DE53521.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 413
I've had good results with Myxazin in the past, so that's a good medication to be using.

Apart from keeping the water very, very clean there's not a lot else you can do at this point. If you see any signs of fungus, or she doesn't start to improve, you might have to change to a different medication; there are an awful lot of resistant strains of bacteria out there now, but hopefully that won't happen.

She's a lovely fish; goldies have amazing powers of recovery, so stay positive, I'm sure she'll heal up just fine :)

It looks like Goldfish Ulcer Disease (GUD) and the best medication is a medicated food. There are medicated foods specifically for this disease and you feed it to the fish each day for a couple of weeks.

Depending on where you bought the fish from, will determine your next step. In Australia any goldfish coming into the country must be certified GUD Free and have appropriate paperwork. Other countries might or might not have similar regulations to stop this disease entering the country and potentially infecting wild fishes.

If your country does have regulations on bringing certified GUD Free goldfish in, then whoever brought the fish in is liable for any expenses you incur dealing with this. Perhaps contact your local Department of Quarantine and ask them what the regs are.

Ulcers take time to appear and that is a big ulcer, which the supplier would have seen when they were catching the fish to ship to you. Someone screwed up and now you have a nasty flesh eating bacteria in your tank.

On a bright side, the disease is regularly carried by fish and tends to show itself when the fish is stressed. If you can get medicated food into all the fish now, you could potentially stop it from killing the fish.

Waterlife Myxazin does not normally work on these bacteria. Medicated food (dry food containing anti-biotics like Kanamycin) is about the only cure. I'm not sure if they use Kanamycin nowadays or they have something else. But google medicated food for GUD.

Contact Quarantine.

Contact the place you bought the fish from, do it in writing (email or paper) and ask what they are willing to do. Because you now have to pay for treating this disease and it will be in your tanks until you strip the tank and start again.

----------------------
Ulcers in fish can also be a sign of Tuberculosis (TB) infection. However, goldfish are known to carry GUD and it is characterised by ulcers so look for medicated food and try that. :)

It looks like Goldfish Ulcer Disease (GUD) and the best medication is a medicated food. There are medicated foods specifically for this disease and you feed it to the fish each day for a couple of weeks.

Depending on where you bought the fish from, will determine your next step. In Australia any goldfish coming into the country must be certified GUD Free and have appropriate paperwork. Other countries might or might not have similar regulations to stop this disease entering the country and potentially infecting wild fishes.

If your country does have regulations on bringing certified GUD Free goldfish in, then whoever brought the fish in is liable for any expenses you incur dealing with this. Perhaps contact your local Department of Quarantine and ask them what the regs are.

Ulcers take time to appear and that is a big ulcer, which the supplier would have seen when they were catching the fish to ship to you. Someone screwed up and now you have a nasty flesh eating bacteria in your tank.

On a bright side, the disease is regularly carried by fish and tends to show itself when the fish is stressed. If you can get medicated food into all the fish now, you could potentially stop it from killing the fish.

Waterlife Myxazin does not normally work on these bacteria. Medicated food (dry food containing anti-biotics like Kanamycin) is about the only cure. I'm not sure if they use Kanamycin nowadays or they have something else. But google medicated food for GUD.

Contact Quarantine.

Contact the place you bought the fish from, do it in writing (email or paper) and ask what they are willing to do. Because you now have to pay for treating this disease and it will be in your tanks until you strip the tank and start again.

----------------------
Ulcers in fish can also be a sign of Tuberculosis (TB) infection. However, goldfish are known to carry GUD and it is characterised by ulcers so look for medicated food and try that. :)

Yes I am Sydney. The fish was purchased from Queensland and I was assured all quarantine procedures had been adhered to. I have contacted the seller who assured me she wasn’t sick when sent. Yet I have photos of raised red scales when she arrived.

Is medicated food available online or three a vet? I am trying to get her to a vet, but It’s not that easy/ I have a tank full of fancy goldfish:

What is my best next step?

And I will contact quarantine, once a vet has confirmed diagnosis. I am actually getting furious about this. This poor fish arrived in putrid water and was on her side. I was surprised she survived and clearly she hadn’t been fasted before overnight shipping.

What is the best way to help the other fish? Feed medication and grow healthy bacteria in a separate tank and transfer over, removing everything else . My animals are my life and I’m really upset about this to say the least.

Some of the bigger petshops that sell Koi and large goldfish sometimes carry the medicated food and you can buy it from them. Alternatively ring local petshops and see if they can order you some in. You should also be able to buy it online, altho I haven't found any yet but I only spent 15minutes or so googling.

Vets won't sell medicated food but can prescribe anti-biotics. However, adding anti-biotics to the water is not the best way to go because it will wipe out the filter and does not always fix the problem. Getting the anti-biotics into the fish (via food) works much more effectively.

You could try contacting Aquarium Industries and asking them if they know of any shops in your area that might have it, or they might have it and you can order it thru the local shop who will get it from them. Aquarium Industries is a wholesaler that does not deal with the public, but they do import a lot of fish and they might know where you can get medicated food from. Their link is below.
https://www.aquariumindustries.com.au/about/contact-ai/

----------------------
The best thing at this stage is wait till Monday when shops and vets are open. Then make a few phone calls and see if any petshops can get the medicated food. Just leave the fish in the tank where it is and feed it lots of plant matter and frozen foods (raw prawn is good) to try and build it up a bit. When you get the medicated food then stop feeding other foods and give them the medicated stuff. Try to get medicated pellets rather than medicated flake. The pellets work better and come in a range of sizes.

Doing big (75%) water changes every day or every couple of days, and gravel cleans will help reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and can help.

----------------------
Photograph the fish each day and make sure you have the date/ time stamp on the photos (if you can). This can give you evidence further down the track if the company wants to claim the fish is GUD free. Photograph the other fishes you own too (both sides of each fish), so they can't say your fish had ulcers and gave it to the new fish. Hopefully you won't need the photos but it doesn't cost anything to photograph and video things these days and keep them on your pc. :)

Some of the bigger petshops that sell Koi and large goldfish sometimes carry the medicated food and you can buy it from them. Alternatively ring local petshops and see if they can order you some in. You should also be able to buy it online, altho I haven't found any yet but I only spent 15minutes or so googling.

Vets won't sell medicated food but can prescribe anti-biotics. However, adding anti-biotics to the water is not the best way to go because it will wipe out the filter and does not always fix the problem. Getting the anti-biotics into the fish (via food) works much more effectively.

You could try contacting Aquarium Industries and asking them if they know of any shops in your area that might have it, or they might have it and you can order it thru the local shop who will get it from them. Aquarium Industries is a wholesaler that does not deal with the public, but they do import a lot of fish and they might know where you can get medicated food from. Their link is below.
https://www.aquariumindustries.com.au/about/contact-ai/

----------------------
The best thing at this stage is wait till Monday when shops and vets are open. Then make a few phone calls and see if any petshops can get the medicated food. Just leave the fish in the tank where it is and feed it lots of plant matter and frozen foods (raw prawn is good) to try and build it up a bit. When you get the medicated food then stop feeding other foods and give them the medicated stuff. Try to get medicated pellets rather than medicated flake. The pellets work better and come in a range of sizes.

Doing big (75%) water changes every day or every couple of days, and gravel cleans will help reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and can help.

----------------------
Photograph the fish each day and make sure you have the date/ time stamp on the photos (if you can). This can give you evidence further down the track if the company wants to claim the fish is GUD free. Photograph the other fishes you own too (both sides of each fish), so they can't say your fish had ulcers and gave it to the new fish. Hopefully you won't need the photos but it doesn't cost anything to photograph and video things these days and keep them on your pc. :)
Thanks for all your advice. I have barely slept I am so worried. The so medicated food contains a broad spectrum antibiotic I am guessing?

At the moment I am using tri-sulfa in the water and melafix. Should I continue with that until I find some food? I do have some aquaricycline otherwise?

Hi Colin, thanks again for you detailed and thoughtful advice.

I took her to SASH this morning - they have an exotic animal vet. I did look for medicated food online but couldn't find anything.

They took a swab of the wound, and under a microscope saw a "bacteria party" to say the least. They are growing a culture to see exactly what we are facing. In the mean time she is getting an injection of antibiotics and then I will continue to feed her medicated food (which I'll need to make).

1/2 tank water change per day. Salt in the water and vitamin C powder. And apart from that it's going to a waiting game. Its a pretty big wound, but other wise she is a strong and healthy fish. So please cross all your fingers and toes for us.

She arrived to me in putrid water. So obviously the waste and ammonia, and stress from that has made this such an aggressive wound.

thanks again

At the moment I am using tri-sulfa in the water and melafix. Should I continue with that until I find some food? I do have some aquaricycline otherwise?
Don't use triple/ tri sulpha, melafix or any other fish medication on this because it won't work. You need anti-biotics, which the vet has prescribed.

Yes, medicated food contains an anti-biotic. They normally have a pellet which is laced with anti-biotics and that is fed to the fish several times per day for about 2 weeks. Some are only used for 1 week and then no medicated food for a week, followed by a second course. This is because most anti-biotics cause kidney damage and long term use can kill fish. But follow the vets instructions for the medication they gave you to use.

You can add it to dry or frozen food. If using frozen food, put the food in a fine mesh net and hang it in a bucket to let most of the water drain off. Then put the frozen but drained food into a small bowl and add the anti-biotics. Mix well and feed to the fish.

After handling the anti-biotics/ food, pour some boiling water over the bowl and any remaining food, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before washing with hot soapy water. The heat will break down the anti-biotics and there will be less chance of bacteria in the drains finding the anti-biotic residue and potentially developing a resistance to it. And wash your hands well with warm soapy water after feeding the fish or working in the tanks.
If you have any cuts or scratches on your hands or arms, do not put them in the tank or let tank water get onto the damaged skin.

---------------------
Dirty water and stress from shipping may have contributed to this but the fish had the problem before it was sent to you.

The fish is white and has a red sore on the side of its body. Whoever caught it and packed it to send to you is either blind or has no idea about fish. But any white fish with a red spot on the side, even a small red spot, should have been checked to make sure it wasn't a wound, sore or ulcer. They obviously didn't do that.

---------------------
How much salt did you add to the tank?
You need to add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water.
You will need to keep this salt level for about 1 month.

To work out the volume of water:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level.

If you have external filters, add their water to the tank's water volume.

Make sure you remove any carbon from filter before adding any medication to the water.

Wipe down the inside of the glass, gravel clean the tank, and do a big water change (75%) before treating fish. This removes a lot of the harmful pathogens in the water and allows medications to work more effectively. This should be done for any fish health issue.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.

When adding salt during water changes, only add enough salt for the water you are adding.
eg: you replace 40 litres of water so you add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt to that 40 litres of water.

Last edited:
Don't use triple/ tri sulpha, melafix or any other fish medication on this because it won't work. You need anti-biotics, which the vet has prescribed.

Yes, medicated food contains an anti-biotic. They normally have a pellet which is laced with anti-biotics and that is fed to the fish several times per day for about 2 weeks. Some are only used for 1 week and then no medicated food for a week, followed by a second course. This is because most anti-biotics cause kidney damage and long term use can kill fish. But follow the vets instructions for the medication they gave you to use.

You can add it to dry or frozen food. If using frozen food, put the food in a fine mesh net and hang it in a bucket to let most of the water drain off. Then put the frozen but drained food into a small bowl and add the anti-biotics. Mix well and feed to the fish.

---------------------
Dirty water and stress from shipping may have contributed to this but the fish had the problem before it was sent to you.

The fish is white and has a red sore on the side of its body. Whoever caught it and packed it to send to you is either blind or has no idea about fish. But any white fish with a red spot on the side, even a small red spot, should have been checked to make sure it wasn't a wound, sore or ulcer. They obviously didn't do that.

Oh yes she was definitely packed with the sore, no doubt about that! I have managed to get a $70 refund on a $370 fish! And I had to fight for that. And now I have a massive vet bill too.

I won't continue using any other medications than advised of course.

If you ever find anyone who sells medicated food online let me know :)

You could contact Consumer Protection in your state and see what they have to say.

Personally I would get the shop to pay for all the vet bills relating to treating this specific problem on this fish. However, I am a miserable old sod who has nothing better to do than give bad shops and government a hard time :)

Ask the shop if they imported the fish into the country or if it is locally bred. If that fish was imported into Australia, it should not have come in. And the shop should never have sent it to you. If the fish was locally bred by a fish farm in Australia, then AQIS needs to know as well, because fish farms should not be selling diseased fish.

Now that you have seen the vet, contact AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Services) and see what they have to say. I have provided a link to AQIS below. At the bottom of their page is a telephone number you can call for more info. The link does have some info about regulations for importing goldfish and other fishes. Apparently the paperwork side has been revised. However, if the fish was imported, then AQIS needs to know because it has GUD. And if it was locally bred by a fish farm, then AQIS and the Department of Agriculture needs to know that too.
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/industry-advice/2016/02-2016

Last edited:
Was she a tri-colour oranda? Just curious about the black on the wound, fins and mouth.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back