Setting Up Fluval 205

WRG

New Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I purchased a Fluval 205 filter a couple of weeks ago and set it up per the instructions. I have just been to my local aquariam shop (where I purchased it from). I asked about when I should change the water. To cut a long story short the Fluval guide says put the carbon media in the botton 2 compartments and bio-media at the top. The aquariam store says this is wrong and the carbon should be in the top 2 and bio-media in the bottom two. Which one is correct? Thanks

wrg
 
Neither. You don't need to run carbon at all. I always replace it with some filter sponge or bio-media and save the carbon for when I have to remove meds from the water.
 
Hi, thanks for replying. Are you saying that it does not matter which way round the media goes? I did put the sponges from the old filter in with the bio-med. Do you think it better to use sponges?
 
Solid chunky stuff should not be first or last in nthe water flow path. You want to start the flow path with a sponge or similar coarse filter media to keep0 the worst of the dirt in the water from reaching the biomedia. Next up is any and all of the ceramic things, plastic bioballs and similar things. LAst of all is the thin polishing pad to protect the impeller from anything that has gotten through the filter that far, including fine bits of carbon or ceramics. As DRobbyB suggested, I would place the carbon on my spare parts shelf in case I ever need it. After two weeks of use, it is probably completely spent, so it goes in the bin and you get some fresh carbon when you need it.
 
My old filter had 2 big sponges with biggish holes and a thin white on the top. So is it best to have a big one in the bottom compartment, the next two with the ceramic things and the thin white one in the top? Sorry if I am sounding inept I just want to get it right.
 
Thank you all for your input. I shall change tomorrow.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top