Setting Up A Marine Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sausagewinkle

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Myself and my partner are hoping to convert our rio 180 or vision 180 to a marine tank, they are both tropical at the minute.

I know we needs to do LOADS of research but thought you might be able to help us in the right direction with starting off basics....

First of all what type of marine tank are you looking at creating?

Fish Only (FO)
Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR)
Full Reef (FR)

This will enable people to suggest appropriate equipment, etc.

Right, you're looking setting up a full reef system then :)

Lighting: Minimum of T5's for soft corals
Filtration: Recommended 1kg of cured live rock per Gallon of water
Substrate: Crushed coral sand or similar
Powerheads: Recommended 20x - 30x tank volume minimum
Heating: Same as Tropical requirements

You should consider plumbing in a sump tank as this not only provides extra volume (extra volume = more water stability) but gives you somewhere to house unsightly equipment such as heaters. It is also easier to top up the tank using the sump rather than the main tank.

External filters can be used but only for chemical filtration as they tend to become nitrate factories if used as biological filtration. The main filtration is provided by the live rock (LR) so spend your money here and it will pay dividends later.

That's just for starters, I'm sure others will chime in with extras such as skimmers, refugiums, etc.

HTH

Have a look over the journals section for similar-size tanks to see what others have done and what was involved. It's hard to offer specific advice beyond what Aquascaper has already posted without more detail.

...although I have a few tweaks to that lol. This is another reason for reading of the journals, since nobody does things the same way.

Lighting: Minimum of T5's for soft corals

And may as well go for high-output ones. Opens up options the most.

External filters can be used but only for chemical filtration as they tend to become nitrate factories if used as biological filtration.

When I go into a LFS and hear the term "nitrate factory" thrown around, many people using the term really seem to think that if they just disconnect the "nitrate factories" that they will suddenly have no nutrient problems in their systems...which is dead wrong. I realize not everybody uses the term in such a literal way, but it is still be very misleading. If the waste doesn't get turned into nitrate, it's sitting as ammonia or nitrite because the problem lies in too many nutrients in the system. Collection of debris in any location will cause this, including in sumps and in live rock stacks that allow too many crevices where CUC can't reach. Usually it's down to overfeeding too, dumping in too much food because a bunch of it is getting sucked away each time. It's incredibly easy to construct a biological external filter that doesn't do this. It just requires a bit of regular maintenance like a fw filter would, or it needs to have its own CUC-equivalent like a large-ish refugium (I have an external that I never really have to open because of that, although it is definitely a more complicated approach). The better reason to avoid an external for biological filtration is that it is often just plane unnecessary given the volume of LR that would already be in most displays and/or sumps compared to the relative possible volume of rock or other media that could be stuffed into the average external. On the other hand, as you mention, that same volume might do wonders when used for chemical media.

Sorry to highjack, but im in a similar situation, although with a rio 240 so a smidge bigger.

My main question is about RO. Is this essential? i have got friends who assure me marine is just as easy as tropical - just add salt as well... but im not really that sure??? same about skimmers - my friends dont use them, but i suspect they might be neglectful.

Also, i dont really have space for a sump and also dont really want to drill my tank, so i was hoping an external would be OK, but i may do a bit more research on that one.

If i go ahead, i suspect i would do a FOWLR because i am a bit scared of keeping corals - i dont think it would end well.
My initial setup would be lots of rock and a few fish, and take it from there. My current FW is a bit over stocked and dont want to end up with a similar situation

RO is 'clean' with regards to the lack of trace elements so you can control what goes in the tank with the water, ie. nothing (theoretically). The only drawback is it lacks the good trace elements as well.

Some people use skimmers, some don't and it rather depends on the set up, maintenance, etc. I've always used one in the past but I haven't had a marine tank running for a few years so may decide not to with my new one, the jury is still out :)

Sorry to highjack, but im in a similar situation, although with a rio 240 so a smidge bigger.

My main question is about RO. Is this essential?

Depends on the quality of your tap. I did it on tap for several years, but then the tap quality degraded rather quickly and gave me a ton of pH/KH problems in my tanks. If you have a >2dKH, which is really quite common, you can pretty much write off using tap in anything but an emergency situation and will need RO or RODI as the staple water supply. While you can chemically treat for most things in tap, carbonates are a bear and salt mixes are not designed to go into water with substantial carbonate content, and you will actually see CaCO3 that looks like snow precipitate out and then stubbornly refuse to dissolve. Once that happens, your params are not what the salt manufacturer intended and the effort to tweak things back to being ok is substantial.

The other big tap caveat is metal content. If it tastes like sticking an old metal spoon or a coin in your mouth, then you can also write it off, but most people don't have tap that bad. I did live in a house with tap that bad once but it was questionable for drinking quality as well because of that.

i have got friends who assure me marine is just as easy as tropical - just add salt as well... but im not really that sure??? same about skimmers - my friends dont use them, but i suspect they might be neglectful.

They may have super-duper quality tap or, as you said, the conditions may be sub-par. If they're keeping a fish-only with just a few hardy fish they might not see issues from using bad tap (assuming it's not REALLY bad tap). I would be rather surprised though if they were successfully keeping a healthy reef with anything other than really good-quality tap or RO/RODI.

Also, i dont really have space for a sump and also dont really want to drill my tank, so i was hoping an external would be OK, but i may do a bit more research on that one.

An external does not substitute for a sump. All it does is give you an out-of-tank place to put things, which a sump also does, but the water volume and filtration capacity difference between the two is pretty big. That said, there is nothing wrong with using externals without a sump as long as you maintain them properly and are very careful about your stocking.

If i go ahead, i suspect i would do a FOWLR because i am a bit scared of keeping corals - i dont think it would end well.
My initial setup would be lots of rock and a few fish, and take it from there.

Sounds good. You also don't have to commit to a reef right off the bat. Many people start FOWLR and then add a softie or two down the line and may go full reef eventually. The main thing is that if you think you might want to go for corals at some point and don't have a light fixture, you might want to just go for a coral-ready one so that you don't have to buy another one later.

Thanks for all your help and advice, also highjack away, it seems we both need the same answers.

Maybe a silly question but im a total novice with marine :)
sump....does this have to be 'drilled' into the tank?? :unsure:

There are various options such as overflow boxes, durso pipes and DIY overflows that require no drilling to the tank. If you do an internet search on any of the above there's a wealth of information to be found.

I have just completed my own DIY overflow using a very simple method found on a popular marine forum and it's fantastic....silent, efficient, cheap and removable :)

There are various options such as overflow boxes, durso pipes and DIY overflows that require no drilling to the tank. If you do an internet search on any of the above there's a wealth of information to be found.

I have just completed my own DIY overflow using a very simple method found on a popular marine forum and it's fantastic....silent, efficient, cheap and removable :)

Thankyou, its all very confusing to get my head around :)

also, another question to throw in, does the marisys 240 work as a sump?

Just had a look and it's basically 'a sump in a box' solution. Not a conventional sump and lacking in volume, etc. and won't have the multitude of possibilities of a normal sump but should do the job. I've no experience of them so can't really comment on how effective they are.

So, basically, a external filter isnt really the best way and a sump would be the best option. The tank wouldn't have to be drilled if i was to go for one of the options, overflow etc (as you metioned)

T5 lighting would be required.
Power heads. (are 2 better on either side of the tank???)
Live rock and coral sand to start off, live rock at 1kg per gallon

May be upgrading to a vision 260 (if i win it on ebay for a decent price). Would much change there as to what i would need.

Water... is it best to get this from LFS??? or should i test my own water?

Soo sorry for all the questions

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back