Setting Up A Hospital Tank

bmxweeman

New Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
gilmerton, Edinburgh
h=when seeting up a hospital tank i assume that it isnt in continuing use e.g only "brought out" when its needed. so how do you keep that filter media mature? a general idea on how to set one up would be ideal.
cheers
 
a 5-10 gallon atnk with a very thin layer of substrate that is the same as the main tank, a heater , and a filter, and you need some sort of hiding place for the sick fish if it is nervous.

also a plant or 2 too make it feel at home.

as for keeping media mature put it back in the main tank
 
You will want to sterilize any filter that has been used for sick fish before putting it into your main tank. Personally, if mine ever gets used, the filter media would be replaced and the entire filter housing would be thoroughly cleaned and dried out. Put the basically new filter onto the main tank and let it become cycled while it waits its next use. I usually have a few small filters running on my larger tanks in case I need one for something like a hospital tank. I even have a sponge on one tank that is much bigger than that tank needs. It is designed to be split into 2 smaller filters so I regard it as another spare.
 
I put media from my filter on my big tank, into a little filter for the hospital tank. That way it's already full of bacteria.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top