Setting Up A 10Gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tmoney7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So now that i found my old 10 gal and my brothers 17.5 gal tanks i have started to fix them back up.  My first one that i am starting on because i think that it will be the easiest one to start with is the 10 gal.  Its the one that is in the best shape.  So i cleaned it up and i just need to bleach it.  Next step is i will get some substrate probably some sand or something more fine.  From there i want to get some plants and driftwood.  Don't know what to get for a filter probably not going to be real picky about it but i still want to get a nice one, anyone got any suggestions?  still deciding one whether or not i will keep it for a spare tank if my pygmy cories lay eggs or if i will get some other micro fish like microrasboras for it, any ideas?

maybe a shoal of microrasboras and a betta, or a honey gourami and a shoal of ember tetras?. i would suggest cories but i dont know if you wanted even more.

i was thinking about more cories but im still deciding on whether i should do microrasboras or other small fish in the 10 gal and more cories in my 17.5 gal or reverse.  But then again i could probably put other fish like normal rasboras in my 17.5 gal instead of micros.  

Microrasbora sp. is a term not used anymore. The microrasbora erythomicron is already Danio erythomicron.

I would suggest boraras sp. from merah to micros, panda or any other dwarf corydoras. An L010 plec, otocinclus. Betta. Just choose from them.

Okay good to know that that term is not used anymore!

I have thought of a betta because i used to have them when i was younger but i like more of the smaller schooling fish.  Someone else did recommend some boraras to me when i was setting up my other 10 gal and before then i had never even heard of them,  but i do think they are cool and will have to look more into their living requirements like ph and water hardness because my ph is about 7.0 and my water is fairly soft.

I personally love the killifish especially the clown killifish.  I will have to look through my lfs the next time i go to see if they have any or if they can order any.  I will also have to check out their water parameters and see if they would work with what i have.  Love setting up new tanks!

Also are there any kinds of loaches that would be able to work in a 10 gal or my 17.5 gal tank that i will be setting up after this?

DerpPH said:
Microrasbora sp. is a term not used anymore. The microrasbora erythomicron is already Danio erythomicron.

I would suggest boraras sp. from merah to micros, panda or any other dwarf corydoras. An L010 plec, otocinclus. Betta. Just choose from them.
really i didnt know that.

Okay so what i think i am going to go with is to go with clown killifish and i was just wondering if you guys thought that i would be able to have 2 males and 4 females in my 10 gal?

i think that would be overstocked, the minimum for clowns from some sources say 20 gallons and its conflicting personally id only feel comfortable putting a pair in.

well then maybe what i will do is just get more corys for my 10 gal or keep it for if i get any eggs and then try like 1m and 2f in my 17.5 gal tank that i will be setting up soon as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back