Serious Filter Recommendation Required

Nice comparison with the media volume. I'll agree that Aquaclears are IMO the best hob filters on the market right now. I'll also go along with you that the Eheim canister you are using for an example is overpriced. The Eheim wet-drys had a lot of issues that needed to be sorted out when they first came on the market.

Aquaclears have a higher water flow per media volume, making them more of a mechanical filter. Eheim canisters have a lower water flow per media volume, making them more of a bio filter. Each really fits into their own little nitch in the world of filtration. Combine one of each on a larger tank and you have the best of both worlds.

Only problem I see is that you are comparing a Chevy to a Caddy, in that the AC in your example is a standard strong workhorse, the Eheim shown is a top of the line bells & whistles product. They both hold 4 liters of media.

The Eheim 2215, which would be considered the workhorse of the Eheim line, holds 4 liters of media. It costs much less than the 2227 you used as an example; http://www.google.com/products?q=eheim+221...=1&ct=title

This would be a more fair comparison price wise. I sure wish they would make a maxed out bells & whistles AC, an Aquaclear ProIII for lack of a better term. I might buy one just to take it for a test drive.
 
even using that as the comparison, you get the same media volume (less i believe with the 2215), and less bells and whistles, further proving the point i was making. as i stated, i just used what i have lying around. i would have used a crappy marineland canister to compare if i had one, but i only buy what i consider to be good equipment, so thats what i had available. regardless of the specific canister you use, the results will come out the same comparatively, just the margins will be a little more narrow. the flowrate may be a little higher on a different canister, and maybe a slightly larger media volume, but considering what were comparing, the ac110 not only holds its own, but surpasses many canisters, and at a fraction of the cost.
but yeah, you are spot on about using both. i have 2 of these wet/dry canisters lying around now. i was using them as a third source of filtration of 2 of my other tanks. and when added to the filtration already on the tank.... HOLY SMOKES!!!
these eheim canisters are amazing for bacteria growth and water parameters. it speeds up the processes by 100%
 
The Eheim 2215 holds 4 liters; http://www.eheim.com/base/eheim/pdf/en/anl...217_classic.pdf Pg. 37

An AC has no bells & whistles, no bio wheels, no pretty parts, plain gray all business filter. Same with the Eheim classics, except green.

Eheim classics have been running for decades, far beyond many manufacturer's products. The only other canisters other than Eheims I've gotten for free, or nearly so. Fluval 305, sitting in a box waiting to be tortured, won in a raffle. HOT Magnum, great for water polishing but not much else, another raffle deal.

I've run plenty of filters, and gotten rid of plenty of filters. Eheim canisters stick around, as do AC's. I would run an AC 110 rather than a comparably priced canister other than Eheim. The AC will do the job with no problems, for many years.
 
the 2227 also holds 4 liters. which in turn means so does the AC.
bio wheels are garbage. its a nice idea but ultimately a faulty system thats nothing more then a marketing gimmick. but thats for another thread ;)
as far as the ac. it does have a couple of whistles. the ac system has a built in recirculation system. when set to the lowest setting, around 50% of the water taken in is cycled through the media a second and even third time, providing more buffing where applicable, and recycling through the bio/chemical filtration elements. it does this while adding no added strain to the impeller or motor.
but i agree, both are very good.
 
Thank you very much for all advice , i will look in to the filters you have suggested .. The filter was only 6 months old, however i have to confess i had no idea about having to lubricate the sealent ring im sure it was not in the instructions but didnt look in the trouble shooting section. . it would appear that this was the problem , as its were the water was coming from, . Im sure tetra tec would be helpfull, but parents will never agree to an identical filter going back in my room , lol . . i brought it from living seas so it was only £60 so i think ill just scrap it .. im airing towards the fx5, seems to be a good price, would like to hear if any one has had any bad experiences with it , cos if i get another leak its bye bye fish lol ! thanks

Right, you need to understand that the filter broke because you didn't maintain it. Not because the filter wasn't very good.

If you buy an FX5, and make the same mistakes, this will also break and you are back to square 1


Explain to your parents that you understand the mistake, and you know how to rectify it - spending another £100 won't change anything.
 
petertr: commonly the output of the fx5 is modified to accommodate a large spraybar, usually of PVC or CPVC where applicable. i also modify the intake in a similar fashion. the fx5 comes with that multi directional output horn, and while it works just fine out of the box, a little diy on just about anything will make it better.
because the horns push water out in 2 different directions, it creates odd circulation in the tank, and the cycle gets a little screwy. however, the pump is still pulling enough water into the canister to suck up detrius and other floating debris in the tank. by removing the horns and adding a large spraybar (even larger then you would imagine would come with the filter), you can have the spraybar on one side of the tank, and the intake on the other (modified or not), creating a clean even cycle, and helping to push debris to the intake.

Hello buddy - thanks for the direct response.

Funny, I have been thinking about fitting a spray bar on the output end.

I'd never considered putting it down one side to push towards the intake end. I'd planned on putting it at the back so that the bar could be longer and there'd be less current in the tank.



Why does fitting a spray bar as the intake help?
 
Hey.
Sorry I just saw your post, but I'm back at work now. Lol. Ill try to get you some pictures when I get home this evening. Ill probably just PM the information to you. But to quickly answer the question.
The intake will create a larger surface area used for debris removal. Rather then having a concentrated intake in one direct spot, it spreads it out across the side of the tank, maximizing the removal of debris.
However keep in mind that toy will need to do a little experimenting with the intake in regards to how many holes (I use slots personally) and where you place then. This will either increase or diffuse the amount of
Suction you get at the intake. But the fx5 is so powerful that even diffused, there is more then enough suction.
If you have an in line flow meter, it will make it easier to monitor the rate on the intake.
 
conclusion: the ac110 holds just as much media as a comparable canister rated for the same sized tank. looks like bio filtration is a tie.

how about mechanical filtration?
lets check the flowrate.

the eheim canister is rated at 227gph, while the ac110 is rated at 500gph. ultimately. higher flowrate = better mech filtration. but that could have been expected, as fluval is known for having great mech filtration.

How can bio filtration be a tie, when the ac110 has a higher flow rate...the higher flow rate may well impede the contact time and so reduce bio filtration. In short just because the quantites are the same does not mean bio filtration is a tie.
 
The contrast was in regards to media volume, as was stated. However you are correct, flow rate and aeration play important roles in bacterial growth and ammonia conversion accordingly, however while a higher flowrate will slow the process due to a lower contact time with the beneficial bacteria in the filter media, it is not detrimental to bacteria growth or function.
With that said, the eheim canister above also has a built in wet dry chamber which allows for more oxygen to the media further speeding up and aiding bacteria function. So by no means are the two the same in that regard. However, this is one of the more advanced systems you can get, and was only used in comparison because I had a couple of them handy. A base model canister will not have these functions, and will generally have a higher flow rate then the aforementioned wet/dry system. While still not enough to match the mechanical powerhouse that is the ac110, it will, as you put it, "impede contact time, and so reduce biofiltration".
Both systems have their place in the world of filtration. This writeup was designed to hilight the awesomeness of the aqua clear system for those who weren't familiar with it, not to discredit the eheim canister. Both are amazing systems, otherwise I wouldnt own them. ;)


... And yes, I'm aware awesomeness is not a real word. Lol. But it fits I think.


*thumb break. This blackberry touchscreen is killing me*
 
OK, back to the thread of fun :good: I'll start off with a few "side-lines" before moving onto the main event, similarly to Bitteraspect's style of posting :good: Only difference is, that I will be using quotes, not because they are annoying, but because it will make a few things easier to follow :good:

Hello again Rabbut - What are these FX5 mods you've heard of? You have me interested.


Although, I have no idea why, my FX5 is doing a truely wonderful job.

Modifications have ranged from simple inlet/outlet modifications, through to filter basket modifications, through to one guy stupidly tryed to mod the motor (needless to say the latter diden't end well :rolleyes: ) If you browse through the Computing sub-forum lower down, there was someone asking for recomended imporvements on their website about 6 months ago, and the site (if it's still up) was crammed with modification ideas for the FX5 :good: Browsing any large forum will also highlight further ideas :nod:

Personally, with that moster flow, the only mod I'd do is installing a spray bar just of the substrates surface to keep all the dirt is suspencion (spelling) long ehough for the filter to grab it. The FX5 can do great things with dirt, I am told, so all you have to do is get said dirt to it ;)

Thank you very much for all advice , i will look in to the filters you have suggested .. The filter was only 6 months old, however i have to confess i had no idea about having to lubricate the sealent ring im sure it was not in the instructions but didnt look in the trouble shooting section. . it would appear that this was the problem , as its were the water was coming from, . Im sure tetra tec would be helpfull, but parents will never agree to an identical filter going back in my room , lol . . i brought it from living seas so it was only £60 so i think ill just scrap it .. im airing towards the fx5, seems to be a good price, would like to hear if any one has had any bad experiences with it , cos if i get another leak its bye bye fish lol ! thanks

Right, you need to understand that the filter broke because you didn't maintain it. Not because the filter wasn't very good.

If you buy an FX5, and make the same mistakes, this will also break and you are back to square 1


Explain to your parents that you understand the mistake, and you know how to rectify it - spending another £100 won't change anything.

I agree with Peter here. The seal failed because the Tetratec, like any canister, needs lubrication applying to the seals on a regular basis to avoid then degrading through constant contact with water :good: IME, a poorly maintained Fluval or Rena seal will last about 6 months, so it's a comparable lifetime to any poorly maintained filter IMO.

As a thought, Tetratec's aren't available in the US, so how's Bitteraspects got hold of one to access the build quality?? :shifty:

as far as lubricating the o-ring, that should not have been, nor do i believe it was the issue. as a hobbyist, you buy equipment hoping for it to work straight out of the box. you should not have to do any additional lubricating of parts or anything like that, imo. the problem is poor craftsmanship. many people have the same problem with tetratech filters, as well as marineland. this is not an isolated incident. best bet is to consider it a lesson learned, and move on. however, if youre not totally convinced, go ahead and get it repaired. who knows, it may fix the problem for good. i however do not reccomend their products.

Lubrication the seal is an essential part of the maintanance of any filter that is of a canister type. If you don't lubricate it, the canister won't last that long due to a seal failure...

Let me explain;

Rubber (synthetic or otherwise) hardens with constant contact with water. Applying loob stops the seal being in contact with water and hence stops it hardening. This in turn stops it "chapping" or worse still in the case of Fluvals usualy when their seals go, snapping. :crazy:

first off, im not sure how you imagined the word external had a different meaning, considering it is an (american) english word. im pretty sure external means the same thing everywhere, considering it refers to the placement of the filter being outside of the tank.
internal - inside
external - outside
seems simple enough.

Well, us brits use the term exturnal as slang for a canister, and HOB for well, a HOB :lol: We don't tend to refur to HOB's as exturnals. It would appear you guys in the States refur to both HOB's and Canisters as Exturnals, in the true sence of the word, not as slang for equipment ;)

my point was that if your lfs has access to hagen products (fluval, ect), they will be able to bring in an aquaclear filter for you, and replacement parts/media accordingly, should you be interested in giving one a try. sorry for the misunderstanding here, but regardless of the nomenclature error, my points were still valid.

Work buys direct from Hagen UK. They cannot get aquaclear HOB's. They appear as though they are not part of the UK product line for Hagen. If you cannot get the filters themselves, I'm fairly shure you won't get the parts through them either (though I haven't checked that), so all spares/repairs would have to be done via the states or one of the few LFS's here that have imported the parts already :sad:

next point i wanted to cover was your mention of me bashing rena. i did no such thing. all i said is that i tried their products along with many others and eventually went with what worked the best comparatively. the rexa xp3(?) is a decent canister, and worked well from my experience, however, once you try a fx5 or eheim pro, i doubt even the competitive price tag on the rena will be enough to entice you to go back to it.

While you don't say they are out and out rubbish, you imply that they are un-reliable (stating they won't out-live your fish) and that they aren't performing as well as a comparable filter. Not so in my experience. If you maintain the seal well on a Rena, it should give good reliable service (though I was rather lax about that point on my first Rena...) :good:

on to your comment about fluval externals being... whatever your bleeped out cuss word was supposed to represent. that is laughable at best. while the bigger pro models of eheims canisters do provide better biological filtration, and often have a higher percentage flow rate, when you compare the job to the price tag, it doesnt match up. the fluval is about half the price of a comperable pro model eheim canister (2080 pro3), but is not outshined in performance by that much of a margin. theyre both outstanding filters, however, the fx5 does pretty much the same job for half the cost.

I would prefur some reliability from my equipment. I note the adverage life span of a Fluval canister from the 04 series is about 4-5 years (a few of the origionals are still going though...), and now the 05's are getting old by Fluvals standords (about 3-4 years), we are again seeing failures cropping up... Obviously the FX5 hasn't been on the market long enough to judge reliability, but if past performance from Fluval filters is anything to go by, it may be a bit of a dissapointment. Mind, at £90, for the size of filter, it's essentially a "Disposable" when compaired to competing products at just over twice that...

Eheim classics are my usual example. Many people that bought the first lot of them 30 years ago still either run them, have upgraded them with their tank or died/lost interest in the hobby before they failed... Similarly with the Pro lines, there are some running 15 year old ones...

next. modification.
you are a bit misinformed about this part. while you seem to be under the impression that it needs to be modified to work, that is absolutely false. out of the box, it provides much better mech filtration then *any other canister. comaritive reviews have been done many times, and while the eheim counterparts will provide better biofiltration across the board, they are no match for the mech filtration of the fx5. and diy modifications only further widen the margin. (however, by doing similar modifications on an eheim, or any other canister/hob, you will achieve better results)

I am under no doubt that the FX5 offers good performance out of the box. Personally though, I would perfur a good bio filter over a good mech one. Bio filters keep our fish alive, mech is just for asthetics. I put keeping the fish alive before making the tank look good...

conclusion: the ac110 holds just as much media as a comparable canister rated for the same sized tank. looks like bio filtration is a tie.

how about mechanical filtration?
lets check the flowrate.

the eheim canister is rated at 227gph, while the ac110 is rated at 500gph. ultimately. higher flowrate = better mech filtration. but that could have been expected, as fluval is known for having great mech filtration.

conclusion: the ac110 has more then double the flowrate of the canister. mechanical filtration is a win for the HOB.

so. not only does the hob hold the same volume of media as a canister rated for the same sized tank, it provides better mechanical filtration. sorry buddy, your myth has been busted.

heres a little added bonus.

and now, one of the main deciding factors for most hobbyists. the price. while shopping around, you will probably find better deals on both, but for our comparison i went to theaquariumguys. common shop for online sales, and one that carries both.

eheim canister 312.99
aquaclear hob 89.99

now keep in mind, the canister has other goodies on it that will justify some of the price difference. it is afterall a much more involved piece of equipment, however, for our purposes, even with the advancements in the canister system, the price does not even come close to reflecting the price difference. while the eheim is on the far end of the spectrum, a comparable canister rated for a similar sized tank will still run you between $150 and $200, and will not provide any of the added benefits of the eheim canister, further proving my point.

Hum, faulty Physics... Lets get into the gritty details;

Mechanical filteration. It isn't as cut and dry as more flow = better mech filtration. Flow patterns and other factors play a part also :good: It is my experience with HOB skimmers in marine tanks that HOB's move water mainly in their local vecinity due to the "waterfall" outlet. They do not realy stir the water near the substrate or create a massive current in the tank. Apply to these flow patters some dirt and change a skimmer to a propper filter. Now, what goes on? Well, the localised flow pattern will prevent the pic-up of dirt from within the whole tank, but localised dirt removal will be outstanding. In areas not local to the HOB though the dirt would prefur to settle in the substrate to staying in suspention and being removed. This leads to not as much being pulled by the filter and more settling in the substrate :sad: Granted, the greater flow throughput in the HOB will go some what to making up for it, but will it surpass an Exturnal? I can't see how it can, as it's just cleaning in it's direct vecinity, not the whole tank :sad:

Biological Filtration Again, isn't as cut and dry as more flow = better filtration. Granted, there is the same ammount of media in each filter, so that's one variable left out, along with the ability ot use the same media in each making surface area for bacterial colonies the same.

Now lets look at those that remain. Tank turn-over, surface area of the media area and contact time and how they affect efficiency.

Greater tank turn-over means the ammonia and other items for removal get to the media quicker, so if this was the only thing alone being taken into account, yes bio-filtration would be helped, but in this case it's counter productve. Why? See below;

Visually, the media looks to have the same surface area in the containers. This means it will clogg (in therory, your mileage may vary) just as quickly as the canister. Stale mate here for mech again, but this makes no difference to performance across the two assuming the below point shows the same for each;

The fact that flow through the media has increased without increasing surface area, means that you have reduced contact time, which is arguably the most important aspect of Bio-filtration, and is at least as important as actual media surface area (not volume or media container surface area). Reduced contact time means implicitly that you have less time with the water being filtered through the media on each pass, so less time for the bacteria to "grab" that poison and remove it. This is a reduction in efficiency. Canister wins here, it's increased contact time for the media volume means greater efficincy, so more muck is removed per pass. The HOB has to make more passes through the media to remove the same ammount of toxin from the water, due to it's increased flow rate :sad:

So, to summarise

Mech = still open for debate
Bio = Can wins
Price = HOB wins

;)


So there we have it, level pagged for the time being between the HOB and Can for scores. It realy will boil down to how you value filter performance to price. I would prefur to pay more for better performance, but many in this recession that can, will prefur the HOB purely down to it being cheaper :good:

All the best
Rabbut

EDIT to add, there have been a few replys in the time I was typing. Please excuse any duplications of responces if they were added while I was posting.
 
Round 2 eh? And here I am at work again with only my trusty blackberry and no boxing gloves. Lol.

While you have raised some valid points, there are some holes in your theory that need some patching. However, I will say that you are quite a bit more informed then I had initially given you credit for, and this has turned into quite an informative discussion for other members who may be less knowledgeable.
With that said, I applaud you sir, and publicly apologize for underestimating you.

Now.
As I have but my humble blackberry, I will again have to wait till the end of the work day for a full response, so bare with me.
Also I touched on biofiltration a little more in my last post, but ill try to get some more detail for you when I get home if I can find my documentation.
 
Round 2 eh? And here I am at work again with only my trusty blackberry and no boxing gloves. Lol.

While you have raised some valid points, there are some holes in your theory that need some patching. However, I will say that you are quite a bit more informed then I had initially given you credit for, and this has turned into quite an informative discussion for other members who may be less knowledgeable.
With that said, I applaud you sir, and publicly apologize for underestimating you.

Now.
As I have but my humble blackberry, I will again have to wait till the end of the work day for a full response, so bare with me.
Also I touched on biofiltration a little more in my last post, but ill try to get some more detail for you when I get home if I can find my documentation.

Mebe you under-estimated as I was origionally pitching at someone whom diden't want the details, so I hid them in my replys to avoid "information overload", something Saltynay now appears to be suffering from :lol: Part of LFS work is explaining complex principals in a simple way to enable a newbie to understand the "basics" without putting them off. I'm good at taking complex things and making them sound simple, though it does occasionally make me look, erm, daft I think the word I'm looking for is, to the folks that know the details and then think I don't know the full details well enough to realy be of any use in reality... :rolleyes:

I will be interested to hear your "corrective points" when you get home :good: You realy need one of those exturnal keyboards for your blackberry that you can get ;)
 
Well technically I'm supposed to be minding my work, and as I work with my hands, probably shouldn't be posting at all. Lol. While I get a lot of leeway at work, it would probably come off rude at best to set up a keyboard on my work bench. Otherwise I'd bring in a laptop. But the blackberry allows me to post easily with the exception of long winded discussions. And do so Inconspicuously ;)
 
Well technically I'm supposed to be minding my work, and as I work with my hands, probably shouldn't be posting at all. Lol. While I get a lot of leeway at work, it would probably come off rude at best to set up a keyboard on my work bench. Otherwise I'd bring in a laptop. But the blackberry allows me to post easily with the exception of long winded discussions. And do so Inconspicuously ;)

Yeh, I think a lot of us are "suppose to be working" when we're posting on here :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top