Serious Algae/Cyanobacteria Problem

To be honest, I can not see any cyano in these photos. Maybe you are dealing with algae here?
I think I had managed to clean most of it off, but if you see the photos below they are my growth from last night to tonight. I know it’s not loads, but I’m worried to stop my daily cleans because it would grow back lots over a week.
If you look on the tips of the plants and the edge of the substrate you will see where it grows back the most.
 

Attachments

  • 96D10CCF-38EF-40C6-A966-5E26B5EDD050.webp
    96D10CCF-38EF-40C6-A966-5E26B5EDD050.webp
    72.1 KB · Views: 343
  • C2996CAF-79BD-45C7-975F-D0DA1FFFEF31.webp
    C2996CAF-79BD-45C7-975F-D0DA1FFFEF31.webp
    93.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 943B098D-6A26-45B2-BDBA-104B011657CD.webp
    943B098D-6A26-45B2-BDBA-104B011657CD.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 308
  • B3F68BB3-0266-4CEB-931E-6950E49D370E.webp
    B3F68BB3-0266-4CEB-931E-6950E49D370E.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 00F57734-0075-4C83-A25A-BEA0C0313B60.webp
    00F57734-0075-4C83-A25A-BEA0C0313B60.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 4339F067-AC32-44F7-A423-A3AFD23AB7AA.webp
    4339F067-AC32-44F7-A423-A3AFD23AB7AA.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 299
I think I had managed to clean most of it off, but if you see the photos below they are my growth from last night to tonight. I know it’s not loads, but I’m worried to stop my daily cleans because it would grow back lots over a week.
If you look on the tips of the plants and the edge of the substrate you will see where it grows back the most.

I'm still not seeing anything I can positively say is cyano. Photo #1 does seem to maybe have some to the right of the rock...is that what you are referring to?
 
I'm still not seeing anything I can positively say is cyano. Photo #1 does seem to maybe have some to the right of the rock...is that what you are referring to?
Sorry my photos were not great. I have cleaned it now, but these are the bits I have missed or don’t want to disturb the plants by getting.

hopefully you can see better in the pictures below.
Do you think I should go back to weekly cleans now and see if it grows ?
DA2B3310-EDEC-404E-B46F-A6EAD63515B5.webp
B3A80A33-0C8D-4A6D-BEF9-91050C4B1ED2.webp
10930A75-7521-4C88-BB1A-FB9489D6F507.webp
07079B50-E74A-4388-88AD-C80B04B21887.webp
07079B50-E74A-4388-88AD-C80B04B21887.webp
B142360C-8850-4700-9BAF-CA9C47BA8CB7.webp
 
There is cyano on the second leaf up on the left in the last photo.

In post #1 sunlight is mentioned...this will often cause this. Make sure no sun hits the tank, and even bright daylight can throw the balance off. Other than that, we have covered how to deal with this. The tank lighting, do we have the spectrum? It is looking a bit dull in the photos and I am wondering.
 
There is cyano on the second leaf up on the left in the last photo.

In post #1 sunlight is mentioned...this will often cause this. Make sure no sun hits the tank, and even bright daylight can throw the balance off. Other than that, we have covered how to deal with this. The tank lighting, do we have the spectrum? It is looking a bit dull in the photos and I am wondering.

For lights I have two https://www.swelluk.com/aquael-leddy-tube-retrofit-sunny/
On the attached website it says mine produces 6500 K.

I have not got any card to stick to the back of the tank yet, but the curtains in the room have been shut ever since my original post.

The floating plants do cause a fair bit of shadow, I can thin them out?
 
For lights I have two https://www.swelluk.com/aquael-leddy-tube-retrofit-sunny/
On the attached website it says mine produces 6500 K.

I have not got any card to stick to the back of the tank yet, but the curtains in the room have been shut ever since my original post.

The floating plants do cause a fair bit of shadow, I can thin them out?

Are you using any plant additives/fertilizers? Sorry if this was asked before, it just occurred to me here that there are leaves showing deficiencies and the light should be OK.
 
Are you using any plant additives/fertilizers? Sorry if this was asked before, it just occurred to me here that there are leaves showing deficiencies and the light should be OK.
Yes I’m adding some TNC lite fertiliser once a week and I used to add liquid CO2 daily but stopped after the first post :)
 
Are you using any plant additives/fertilizers? Sorry if this was asked before, it just occurred to me here that there are leaves showing deficiencies and the light should be OK.
Also I’ve just thought, my plants consistently had cyano growing on them until about 3 weeks ago so they got hit pretty hard by that.
I also have under the sand a good substrate for the plants (can’t remember what) and also an extra soil fertiliser.
 
Also I’ve just thought, my plants consistently had cyano growing on them until about 3 weeks ago so they got hit pretty hard by that.
I also have under the sand a good substrate for the plants (can’t remember what) and also an extra soil fertiliser.

This is likely part of the problem. It depends what the composition of these "plant" substrates are, but they likely contain organics which will feed cyano. Obviously it should be possible to get this in balance, but certain substances in the substrates might be leeching into the water column faster than what the plants are able to use or store.
 
This is likely part of the problem. It depends what the composition of these "plant" substrates are, but they likely contain organics which will feed cyano. Obviously it should be possible to get this in balance, but certain substances in the substrates might be leeching into the water column faster than what the plants are able to use or store.
The substrate is fairly old so hopefully not leeching too much out. Do you suggest I stop the fertiliser I’m adding ? Or get more plants ? My floating ones grow like crazy
 
The substrate is fairly old so hopefully not leeching too much out. Do you suggest I stop the fertiliser I’m adding ? Or get more plants ? My floating ones grow like crazy

I really don't know what to suggest. Going back through this thread, both I and Colin posted the basics, and I'm not aware of where to go beyond those measures. I don't knw the substrate so I don't know how long it might be effective. I don't like to suggest stopping all the plant additives because there are signs in the photos of plant problems which are either light or nutrients. We sort of thought the light is OK, maybe it isn't. Is this LED or fluorescent? I ask because fluorescent tubes/bulbs wear out intensity over time (12 months on average) and need to be replaced. LED I assume is OK as long as it lasts, but I am open to correction if someone knows.
 
I really don't know what to suggest. Going back through this thread, both I and Colin posted the basics, and I'm not aware of where to go beyond those measures. I don't knw the substrate so I don't know how long it might be effective. I don't like to suggest stopping all the plant additives because there are signs in the photos of plant problems which are either light or nutrients. We sort of thought the light is OK, maybe it isn't. Is this LED or fluorescent? I ask because fluorescent tubes/bulbs wear out intensity over time (12 months on average) and need to be replaced. LED I assume is OK as long as it lasts, but I am open to correction if someone knows.

There isn’t a whole lot of concrete data on spectral shifts on LED’s, there is plenty of evidence that intensity does decrease over time. Their wear life in measured in multiple years though. 50,000 hours of use is considered time for LED replacement in reef aquaria for example. Dimming, thermal stability and plastic lens degradation are very likely causes of spectral shift as well. Those factors vary a whole lot between aquariums and fixtures to really quantify accurately.
 
I really don't know what to suggest. Going back through this thread, both I and Colin posted the basics, and I'm not aware of where to go beyond those measures. I don't knw the substrate so I don't know how long it might be effective. I don't like to suggest stopping all the plant additives because there are signs in the photos of plant problems which are either light or nutrients. We sort of thought the light is OK, maybe it isn't. Is this LED or fluorescent? I ask because fluorescent tubes/bulbs wear out intensity over time (12 months on average) and need to be replaced. LED I assume is OK as long as it lasts, but I am open to correction if someone knows.
They are LEDs and only about 3 months old.
i have left the tank for a day to see how it does with growth of cyano I’ll post some pics later.
 
I really don't know what to suggest. Going back through this thread, both I and Colin posted the basics, and I'm not aware of where to go beyond those measures. I don't knw the substrate so I don't know how long it might be effective. I don't like to suggest stopping all the plant additives because there are signs in the photos of plant problems which are either light or nutrients. We sort of thought the light is OK, maybe it isn't. Is this LED or fluorescent? I ask because fluorescent tubes/bulbs wear out intensity over time (12 months on average) and need to be replaced. LED I assume is OK as long as it lasts, but I am open to correction if someone knows.
Hi Byron,

below are photos taken today before a clean. Lots of cyano regrowing on the plants and hardscape. I haven't done a clean since Wednesday. Also brown algae/cyano growing on some plants.
 

Attachments

  • 497A8CC1-1D9F-470B-8617-8382ADF628E0.webp
    497A8CC1-1D9F-470B-8617-8382ADF628E0.webp
    73.3 KB · Views: 293
  • B86E40A5-9EC9-4BA7-89A5-0226BCAFDE89.webp
    B86E40A5-9EC9-4BA7-89A5-0226BCAFDE89.webp
    102.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 7EDD7E64-A1A0-44D0-822A-C1148BDF42F3.webp
    7EDD7E64-A1A0-44D0-822A-C1148BDF42F3.webp
    158 KB · Views: 296
  • 455F6009-E88C-4842-B91F-E0AF454498BB.webp
    455F6009-E88C-4842-B91F-E0AF454498BB.webp
    129.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 47F62A56-7450-42CA-97E8-924584516B8E.webp
    47F62A56-7450-42CA-97E8-924584516B8E.webp
    150.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 8F45E69C-EAD8-42AC-AE08-C916A1DDEB0E.webp
    8F45E69C-EAD8-42AC-AE08-C916A1DDEB0E.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 8552D438-12B4-4DF1-B3F3-B2A4027DFECD.webp
    8552D438-12B4-4DF1-B3F3-B2A4027DFECD.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 7FFC01C0-5CBE-454F-8E47-DAF7E51ACBDF.webp
    7FFC01C0-5CBE-454F-8E47-DAF7E51ACBDF.webp
    189.8 KB · Views: 282
Hi Henry.ager. I must say I feel your pain. I'm a fairly nube at this hobby,, and Just spent the last 3 weeks in torture trying to get rid of brown algae.. Diatoms. Cleaning the tank every day, big water changes every couple of days. It was unbelievable the speed it grew back. I Filled my filter with SilicatEx and NitratEx,, That seemed to have worked, and it has retreated now. I can start to enjoy my new hobby.
Hopefully You will get through your problem also.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top