Senegal Bichir

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SBL

Fishaholic
Reaction score
could a Senegal Bichir be kept comfortable in a 55 gallon with African Cichlids? My only concern is honest the ph, the Senegal has the protection from the africans, and this tank wont be stocked with very aggressive africans, just Red Empress, Acei, yellow Labs, dimidochromis compressiceps, and Fuelliborni, maybe some zebras. only 3 of each, all 1m to 2f

could a Senegal Bichir be kept comfortable in a 55 gallon with African Cichlids? My only concern is honest the ph, the Senegal has the protection from the africans, and this tank wont be stocked with very aggressive africans, just Red Empress, Acei, yellow Labs, dimidochromis compressiceps, and Fuelliborni, maybe some zebras. only 3 of each, all 1m to 2f

Hi.
The Senegal will not enjoy the ph usually associated with Cichlids.
55g is fine for a senegal, and it isnt in any danger from the tankmates, but I can tell you now, the ph will be a problem.

I was just wondering, i guess the 7.8-8.0 pH will be considered an extreme. what about a 30g long, its 3ft long by 1ft wide by 18 inches tall. I understand Senegals need the room because of there activeness. I used to have one in a standard 29 gallon till he got caught in the filter because my Hondurans at the time ripped off the guard.

I wish my lfs still sold senegals. I would buy one in a flash.

If it's a privately owned shop then you could try asking them to order some in for you

As for keeping senegals in a 30g, i would say that it is too small. A rule of thumb that i have found to work quite well is: the length of your tank should be at least 5 times as long as the fish you intend to keep in it but preferably 6. Very, very active fish may need 7. Senegal bichirs grow to about a foot so they therefore are too big.

If it's a privately owned shop then you could try asking them to order some in for you

As for keeping senegals in a 30g, i would say that it is too small. A rule of thumb that i have found to work quite well is: the length of your tank should be at least 5 times as long as the fish you intend to keep in it but preferably 6. Very, very active fish may need 7. Senegal bichirs grow to about a foot so they therefore are too big.
Iv kept 3 Senegals as well as 1 delhezi and 1 ornate. A 4ft tank is a minimum for a sen. I rehomed the sens and delhezi some time ago and then I had to rehome my 9 inch ornate as my flowerhorn was too aggressive for him :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back