Seahorses

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
No eels....definately no eels....

If you do want to get the neon gobys and cardinals, be prepared to find new homes for them if they don't work out. For the most part they are ok with horses, but my neon tried to clean my seahorses, which they did not appreciate. I've heard of cardinals becoming real pigs, and people having trouble getting the SH enough food. This is rare though. But still be prepared. I would think with a tank that size though, there's not going to be any problems.

What will you be using for QT?

Babies will eat pods and rots, adults for the most part will ignore them. You will also need hatcheries for BBS. Most SH breeders have 2-5 hatcheries going at one time. Oh, and you'll need suppliments for the BBS, as well. As the babies get older, this is going to be a staple food for them. Many people use this to help the babies to transition into frozen foods.

Now, I'm not trying to "be mean", I just want you to be realistic about breeding the SH. Even with the easier SH, like erectus, it has taken some people years to get the fry to survive. It's relatively easy to get a guy "knocked up", but having the fry survive isn't always as easy. Please, make sure you want the SH to enjoy them as hobby, and not just a way to make money.

I can't remember, but were you wanting to keep corals with the SH? If so, you're chooses will be pretty limited. Anything with the ability to sting is a no-no.

Have you familiarized yourself with vibro, pouch evacs, GBD and snout rot? Remember, you have to have the SH "first-aide" kit on hand before you even get the SH.
i see you havent read too awful much of this thread? i have a disease booklet at the tanks and i will be buying cures for the diseases. i will be ready for almost anything they throw at me, lets just hope i don't et much thrown at me in the firs place, lol.

with the eel, i've read more about the snowflake eel. there different then most eels you are probably thinking about. they aare easy to care for, and they only eat small fish that can fit in there mouth. i may feed them tadpoles, i know the tadpoles won't last long in saltwater, but he may like them as a treat. of course i don't know yet if tadpoles would be o a problem to there health.

the eel will seem to go ok with the seahorses. ONLY large adults will be in the main tank. and the eel won't bother big ones.

i'll be buying alot of white shrimp at the same time i get the eel if i still do. buti've not found any reason he would not be able to be with the horses in my reef tank.

i'm working on getting that main tank so i can go ahead and get the reef growing before anything is inroduced. i'm a little worried about getting gobies or cardinals because i know i'll end up breeding them and i don't want any money going towards anything but the reef tank and the horses. i do't wanna start breeding anything else until the horse tank is going good.

i priced salt at my lfs and i think i will be able to keep up with the salt.

but as i've said, i've found nothing wrong with getting the snowflake eel. they don't bother any fish that won't fit in there mouth and stuff, and an adult seahorses isn't gonna be bothered whatsoever. i will make sure he has caves in the rock too.

if the eel does end up having any issue in the tank i will have to move him. but i highly doubt, after everything i've read, that this eel will cause any problem. it's not like i'm getting a garden eel or like a green moray :p

wait, i'm confused. are you still getting some variety of dwarf seahorse or did you change your mind to a different type?

although dwarfs would have saved me well over $200, i'm getting erectus seahorses.

black ones :good:

Mate, I now know why many are not continuing to answer questions posed by you, sadly.

Dixaisy and I both gave you reasons for possible issues with a Snowflake eel. But you seem to already know your answer, its up to you in the end, we have tried to give you our advice. Even seahorse.org disagrees:
Notable Groups That Should Be Avoided: Eels
found here. I bet they would eat your SH's, even if the specimen (the eel) wasn't large. And, as mentioned in my above post, they produce large amounts of waste, which is probably un-suitable for a SH set-up.

If you get a snowflake, DONT feed it tadpoles. FW feeders and tadpoles would be an un-suitable diet for a marine eel. Feed it marine fish flesh, prawn and live feeder shrimp.

Have you read whats available at seahorse.org? They would probably have the worlds largest collection of SH breeders on any forum at your disposal for brain picking.

what i' saying is the snowflake eel isn't like most of the eels you guys are probably thinking about. they will not bother adult seahorses. they mind there own business unless there is a fish that they could eat, a small goby for example. they would have no problem with the seahorses

and the waste would not be a problem. i will have a protien skimmer, filter, tons of shrimp, crabs, and other things to help with waste. plus i will prbably use a reef safe gravel/sand cleaner.

i'll go to that forum with these questions. no one here wants to listen to what the heck i'm saying :angry:

i'll go to that forum with these questions. no one here wants to listen to what the heck i'm saying :angry:

We have tried to listen, but given answers you do not agree with. No one can help that. Im all for learning, so if the ladies and gents at Seahorse.org think a Snowflake is compatible, go for it, ill have been wrong. As I said, the last choice is down to you, all we can do is advise the best we see fit. How you take that information is up to you. :nod:

When you keep seahorses, most people want to reduce risks as much as possible. For example, clams are not aggressive and would never purposefully harm a seahorse. But because of the nature of these two organisms, SH have been caught in clams and suffered some real damage (some clams have too, owners tying to free the seahorse). It's a risk, period. Predatory fish with sharp teeth+slow moving animal=risk. I would think you wouldn't want to take unnecessary risks with something you want to eventually breed.

Please, please....don't keep an eel with the SH. It's in your best interest.

i'm just a little sick of how some people, not all of you, have been reacting to IDEAS. i've said IDEAS and then people think i'm going to do it right off and there freaking rude about it. i'm not having any more questions or conversations on here. the people at seahorse.org nicely answered and said new ideas. instead of some of the people here saying how stupid and wrong i was, very rudely, and not giving any ideas, and being disencouraging.

I am a member on Seahorse.org and they clearly say in your snowflake eel thread that they are NOT safe with seahorses.

We are just trying to help you and you shoot every suggestion down with very inaccurate information.

Yes, I agree, some of the replies to your posts at the beginning of your thread were not polite or helpful. Two of us gave you reasons NOT to keep a Snowflake Eel with adult SH's, yet you argue after you asked the question ie:

what i' saying is the snowflake eel isn't like most of the eels you guys are probably thinking about.
We knew the difference between varying species.

they will not bother adult seahorses. they mind there own business unless there is a fish that they could eat, a small goby for example. they would have no problem with the seahorses

So why did you ask us, it just seems like you didnt take any advice on-board. We tried to give you advice, and now you have been told the same answer at seahorse.org.

Ive tried to be polite, and constructively give you advice and accurate information to do with as you please, so I hope im not one of those people who are making your experience here at TFF un-welcoming. Good luck. Im a member of seahorse.org (under the same name as here), so if you dont feel like coming back here, I can see how your SH breeding ventures go. :good:

the reason i 'argued' was because i was saying that it wouldn't bother adults and i was hoping people would be more specific with answers. and thank you for agreeing about how rude and un-polite some of the posts have been. i'm just construcivly argueing.

but forget about it. seahorse.org answered my questions with more detail, like saying "yes, a snowflake eel could attempt to eat an adult" instead of saying "no no, don't get an eel with SH!"

Im not a SH expert, but I highly dought an Eel is a suitable tank mate. The waste they produce from feeding is quite extensive (not great if your trying to breed something in top water conditions) and they could stand a chance of consuming your slow moving horses.

:X I guess its up to you how to read advice given. As said, Goodluck.

If you need anymore help, feel free to keep posting on seahorse.org, and if need be, drop me a pm also. I'm on that forum at least once a day- it's the main one I frequent in :p.

I'd post on this thread a little more, but I doubt i'll be able to figure out 4 pages of new info going back and forth. Btw, sorry I got snotty back there, but it just annoyed me at first. Good luck with your "adventure." I myself am sticking with mainly seahorses and pipefish from now on.

I know nothing about seahorses what so ever but am interested by them.

after reading all this thread imo puddle_inc has asked for information about how to set up his tank and when people have advised him against things he suggests he is ignoring the advice. after being advised about the eels and the horseshoe crab he is still arguing that he is right.

If your not going to listen to the advice offered then dont ask the questions. it seems to me you have a set idea in your head of what you want and just wanted people to tell you what you wanted to hear. well it doens;t happen you have asked people who KNOW alot about the fish they talk about yet info offered is shot down. I'm not surprised people get fed up of offering help to people if they just get grief for giving honest answers. they are just looking out for the welfare of the fish you are looking to buy.

I'm not flaming you here am just commenting on what I have seen going on as an outsider.

Puddle_inc it looks like you have alot more research to do its a great idea to get more than one opinion but if they all say the same LISTEN its for your fishes welfare

Phew rant over sorry if I have offended you Puddle but its my honest opinion if you still feel annoyed by comments people have made I suggest you read the thread from the beggining with an open mind and see how you could come across to some people as just being arguementative!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back