Seahorse Set-Up Mk. 2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi all,

I know it's been ages since I update my journal but life has been a bit chaotic. Lots has happen tank wise, when i have a free moment i will update. I have piccy's lots of piccy's. A quick tid bit taster - I have horses in the tank and babies. Like i said when i have a free moment i will done a proper update with all the piccy's. Hopefully this week as i have some some time off.

Watch this space.

Kelwoo

Wooooooooo!! Was waiting for you to have an update. Welcome back.

Look forward to the horses and the little foals. LOL

l

Ok, a lot has happened so I'll have to do this update in stages.

The last time i updated i said i was upgrading my light to aquarays. Well that went very well the first thing about this tank to go without any problems!! Here's some piccy's (sorry I'm not great for writing i prefer piccy's)

This is the original light dismantled and the rail for the aquarays installed.
2011-09-26232342.jpg

2011-09-26232312.jpg

Main light on rail
2011-09-26232259.jpg

Next is the rail for the aquaray I'm using at minimal strength for a moonlight
2011-09-26232016.jpg

Rail split to accommodate the handle
2011-09-26232029.jpg

Moonlight installed
2011-09-26231959.jpg

Final setup
2011-09-26232433.jpg

And then finally the FTS with the new lights (bear in mind at this point i had done nothing to the tank hence the dirty tank)
20111129_193231.jpg

First update done! :good: more to follow

Looking good :good:

Looking forward to the next updates

Bae

Ok so now the lights are fitted and the tank (except for being dirty) was looking great soooooo much brighter.

The sump now fix (bubble problem) live rock is in skimmer the pump for the chiller and UV and the tank return.

20120531_190214.jpg

The other side
20120531_190309.jpg

The next step was to get some algae in the tank to 'plant' it out. I wanted my tank to look natural and have various algaes in it the give depth and texture - however as with the other tank i was finding it extremely difficult to get algaes. It seem that no-one really wants them for the display tank only for their sumps - hence varieties and availability is a joke!! :sad:
I was in no rush though so could wait.

The LFS had some fake plants that didn't look bad so thought if push came to shove they would do, but I would try to avoid if possible.

Well it suddenly became a rush because a shop was gonna 'put a seahorse out of it's misery' because he had a swollen pouch. Well looking at him he seemed healthy other than the pouch. Though he could be pregnant, bacterial or open of the pouch wouldn't open. I know you should only buy healthy fish but i wasn't gonna let them kill it!! so i brought him home. (Free of course) He seemed fine was eating well and swimming fine given his pouch size. After a week or so and still no improvement i found him a girl friend thinking maybe if he had female company he might empty his pouch.
No such luck. So i prepare for sea horse surgery. I got a hair grip (soft rounded end) sterilized it got him and slowly carefully opened his pouch (I was expecting i don't know what - pus goe dead babies, but nothing other than water)out come the water and he was not injured and his pouch 'flappy' but deflated. Off he swam and started eating. It took the next 3-4 weeks for the pouch to shrink back to normal size but was fine.
(I don't have any piccy of him or her unfortunately)

All was great than i had i huge outbreak of red cyano algae - it covered everything (including the horses) nothing i tried got rid of it. I increase my water change, adjusted the lighting, changed my UV bulb, had a lights out in the tank, but nothing worked. It got that bad i had to clean the horses off gently with a cotton bud because is was smothering everything. Long story short - i lost everything. :no:

At this point again i was ready to quit so decided to do everything possible to clean the tank and rid myself of this menace.

This involved lowering the temperature of the tank a bit more, filter socks, different clean up crew, siphon scrub and clean everything it touch and remove that which could not be cleaned.

And i'm gonna leave it there as the 'what happened next' - well it's gonna take some typing and i think this is enough for one post. More to follow

Kelwoo.

aghhhhhhhhhhh! Everytime you stop writing I am on pins and needles.

:harsh; sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck

But I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

Wanting to know what happens next now too :good:

Bae

Oh dear! You've struggled a lot with this system.

I'm with Bae on this, wondering what happened next...

L

Hi guys sorry for the long gap again. A lot has been happening some good some bad both personally and fish tanky.

One of the main reasons is I was buying a house (which is exhausting and very time consuming) this also meant i had to strip and move the tank. (Not fun) During the move i lost my horses (stress) so I've had to start again which is disheartening!  

The basic setup is done but it needs some tweaking, I'll put up some pictures of what it looks like at the moment at the weekend (it needs a spring clean first).

I've got a week off so can give a full update with the pictures, Until then..

Kelwoo

First time I've been on here in months

And I saw this, looking forward to new pics.

It sucks about your horses but Atleast you shouldn't have todo it again

Yep, that was until we had to paint the living room and move the tank! (everyone/ everything was fine this time)  Tank is still not looking great ATM but hopefully this week i'll finish preparing the tank for it's close up and finally have some up to date pictures, along with my latest improvement plans ive got.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back