Seachem Prime Users

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks. Those will be handy. I’m figuring dosing for each tank now. :)

1 teaspoon equals 4.9 ml., so a 1/4 tsp equals 1.225 ml, ...1/8 tsp=.64 ml , 1/16 tsp=.32ml

So confused! Maybe I’m reading too much.

well if you add 1/8 teaspoon to the jar filled with tank water and then add 1/16 teaspoon, that will equal just about 1 ml. How many gallons does container say that 1 ml of powder will treat?

if the container says 1/4 teaspoon treats 300 gallons, then 1/16 teaspoon will treat 75 gallons. or 1/32 teaspoon will treat 37 gallons ..If you are using a Python, you will dose an amount for the whole tank. I would put the powder in a small jar of tank water, then shake and distribute around the tank surface. They say that overdosing a bit wont harm your fish so approximate amounts would work ok.

Your calculations are exactly what I had calculated. Thanks so much!

Your calculations are exactly what I had calculated. Thanks so much!
I'm still using the bottle I mixed a couple months ago (4 tsp to the 500ml prime bottle) with no I'll effects. Maybe I should consider making a new batch.

I can understand Seachem not recommending it. But as fast as your going through a bottle I see no harm in it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

I'm still using the bottle I mixed a couple months ago (4 tsp to the 500ml prime bottle) with no I'll effects. Maybe I should consider making a new batch.

I can understand Seachem not recommending it. But as fast as your going through a bottle I see no harm in it.

They said the powder doesn’t have stabilizers in it like the Prime does and is why the mixture will weaken.

If 1/4 tsp of Safe treats 300 gallons how is 4tsp of Safe in a 500ml bottle even close to Prime?! Seems like WAY to much.

If 1/4 tsp of Safe treats 300 gallons how is 4tsp of Safe in a 500ml bottle even close to Prime?! Seems like WAY to much.
I’ve been trying to figure that out myself. Glad you asked.

I’ve been trying to figure that out myself. Glad you asked.
A 500ml Bottle of prime treats 5000 gallons
5000/ 300 = 16.66
16.6 x .25 = 4.1 tsp

.25 = 1/4 tsp

From amazon.com
A single 100 mL bottle will treat 1000 US gallons of tap water. Prime will remove both chloramines from municipal water supplies.

Last edited:
If you want to make it easier to add prime to your other tanks besides the pond, figure out how much powder you would need in total for all you tanks. Then take a quart container filled with tap water, add powder and shake well. Then figure out how many gallons each ounce of water would treat and measure out the amount needed for each tank. Not that hard to do. Once you do it once, next time you will have all you figures ready. And you shouldn't have any left over in the quart container if you measured correctly.

Not at all, it's actually a little weaker
See above

There is no possible way for this to be weaker. Think about it. Forget the Prime doseage, you need to look at the Safe dosage and figure from there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back