Scientific Theories/Paradoxes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Going from different time zones isnā€™t going to different times. Time is the same in all parts of the world at the same time, itā€™s just the numbers assigned to that time that are different. Youā€™re not going into the future, youā€™re just changing the numbers assigned to the time that youā€™re in that hasnā€™t changed.
No I used that as a bad example reading it over...

An "earth day" to the ISS is only 90 minutes...

The further you are, the faster that time flies. Time is relative, we made it up, it really is just numbers being assigned, but you can play with it.
I leave here and go to your state right now at this instant, it would be 5pm.
That DOESN'T change the fact it's still Tuesday or the fact that we're all living in the "same" time but I did make "my" bed time come sooner šŸ˜…

No I used that as a bad example reading it over...

An "earth day" to the ISS is only 90 minutes...

The further you are, the faster that time flies. Time is relative, we made it up, it really is just numbers being assigned, but you can play with it.
I leave here and go to your state right now at this instant, it would be 5pm.
That DOESN'T change the fact it's still Tuesday or the fact that we're all living in the "same" time but I did make "my" bed time come sooner šŸ˜…
Itā€™s 11 am here not 5, not sure if you were being serious or not haha

Recently I was talking to my best friend about a few theories and paradoxes...

My favorite one to think about is the Grandfather Paradox.
The concept is this. Imagine someone travels back in time to kill their Grandfather before he becomes a father to their father.
And now the question is this:
If time travel was possible is it even possible to kill your Grandparent?
By doing that you will have erased your existence completely, as well as your father's.
But if you are dead that future you could never existed and therefore could never have gone back in time to kill your Grandfather. You would be non-existant to reality at that point. Right as he is about to die your memories will all fade away and you will dissipate into nothingness as you will never exist... And what would happen to the Grandfather/Grandmother? Would they die or would they live because their killer (being their Grandchild) never existed?
Or would time just keep repeating itself sense the child would be the same person and attempt it again and then time itself would be put on repeat...

There is also the Dichotomy Paradox.
You can never reach the end to something.
Imagine you have a target in sight and you decide that you will keep moving half of the distance between you and that object.
There is an infinite amount of numbers. In fact a simple 1 can be divided down into smaller increments. 0.50, 0.1, 0.01, 0.009--ā™¾. You get the point I think...
So if you keep moving half that distance you'll never stop moving TECHNICALLY, but you'll also never reach your target. You'll never touch it...
Why would you kill your grandfather in the first place lol? We must start there...

Itā€™s 11 am here not 5, not sure if you were being serious or not haha
Oops! Sometimes I mix it up and go 3hrs AHEAD instead of behind...
But if you were 3hrs ahead, those times would work just fine lol.
Why would you kill your grandfather in the first place lol? We must start there...
It's all a theory. It was a made up Paradox from someone.
I have no reason to go back in time to murder them šŸ˜…
I've never even met my grandparents so if I went back in time I guess I'd say hi...

Oops! Sometimes I mix it up and go 3hrs AHEAD instead of behind...
But if you were 3hrs ahead, those times would work just fine lol.

It's all a theory. It was a made up Paradox from someone.
I have no reason to go back in time to murder them šŸ˜…
I've never even met my grandparents so if I went back in time I guess I'd say hi...
Theories have evidence ;) itā€™s a hypothesis

Theories have evidence ;) itā€™s a hypothesis

Look at definition 3a

Look at definition 3a
A theory and a scientific theory are different.

Which is why I haven't said "scientific theory" I don't think
No, but you imply it by saying your theory has scientific fact behind it

Plus your title is literally ā€œscientific theoriesā€

Plus your title is literally ā€œscientific theoriesā€
Well the SECOND theory is scientific/mathematical.
The first one (the one mostly spoken of in here) is just a Paradox that is just a
No, but you imply it by saying your theory has scientific fact behind it
Yes, SOME PARTS do... Other parts are just pure hypothesis/theories and its just to lightly debate on

I am sorry if I caused any confusion or made it seem as though I was trying to make what I'm saying a fact. Cause ALMOST none of this is proven fact. There are certain facts that have been thrown around in support of the theories/hypotheses of time travel/Grandfather Paradox, but over all this is just speculation and having fun with coming up with outcomes or sharing other paradoxes.
It's just a thing to tease the brain and get it working to come up with ideas. To use the imagination given to you to form hypotheses on a matter.

I hope that made sense...

Last edited:
Multiple time lines. Before we actually decided and act, there are a number of possibilities, including not acting. Therefore there are multiple time lines which come into existance with evrey action we take.

So when you travek back in time, you create a new timeline When you then kill you grandfather, another new time line. Once he is dead you do longer exist in the timeline from which you traveled. You cannot return to a future where you no longer exist. Therefore, you will now live in a new timeline and the future for that does not yet exist. Further, you cannot travel into any of the time line where you do not exist.

There are an infinite number of timelines so all things are possible, so to speak.

Or, when you travel back in time to kill your grandpa, you will not exist in physical form. You will be out of sync and you cannot interact with the past. You are kind of like a ghost. The laws of physics for you change. You cannot kill your grandfather. That is simply not possible. Therefore, there is no paradox possible. The past can be viewed but not changed. Think of it as a movie. The same should apply to the future. There cannot be two yous in the same space time.

Multiple time lines. Before we actually decided and act, there are a number of possibilities, including not acting. Therefore there are multiple time lines which come into existance with evrey action we take.

So when you travek back in time, you create a new timeline When you then kill you grandfather, another new time line. Once he is dead you do longer exist in the timeline from which you traveled. You cannot return to a future where you no longer exist. Therefore, you will now live in a new timeline and the future for that does not yet exist. Further, you cannot travel into any of the time line where you do not exist.

There are an infinite number of timelines so all things are possible, so to speak.

Or, when you travel back in time to kill your grandpa, you will not exist in physical form. You will be out of sync and you cannot interact with the past. You are kind of like a ghost. The laws of physics for you change. You cannot kill your grandfather. That is simply not possible. Therefore, there is no paradox possible. The past can be viewed but not changed. Think of it as a movie. The same should apply to the future. There cannot be two yous in the same space time.
I definitely can see that as a possibility.
To me, ghosts aren't real, but that would make sense because you would die if you killed him but you also wouldn't in a way cause in order for that to have happened there needs to be a future where the Grandchild goes back in time... So would there even be a future? Would you and your Grandfather both die and there is no future with either of you existing and physics just cancels you out? šŸ˜…
Is it time line suicide?
An end to the universe? You have disrupted all of space and time which would have huge consequences.
It would definitely screw a lot of things up for sure...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back